You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2021-11-02] Bayern Munich vs S.L. Benfica

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:00 pm

Bayern Munich will win
100%
It will end in a draw
No votes
S.L. Benfica will win
No votes

Total votes : 3

Re: [2021-11-02] Bayern Munich vs S.L. Benfica

Postby #12 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:21 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:
Ed. wrote:What is under our control is being tight at the back and making it extremely hard to score against, so you only need a couple of chances at the other end. With the away goals dispensed with this season, there will be a reversion to tight 2 legged affairs now.

In order to have that type of defense we would need to completely change our tactics. That's not gonna happen. And If you look at our Champions League results in the last 2,5 seasons, I think it's safe to say we are on the right track and one of the 2-3 big favourites to lift the trophy

Apart from a very unlucky 2-1 loss at home vs PSG without Lewy and a 1-1 draw at Wanda vs Atletico with Sarr, Mbi and co we've won EVERY match. Home and away. Pre, during and post COVID* and we've done it in a spectacular fashion. Scoring 4-5 goals against decent opposition is the new normal for us. Back in the day any team would struggle to win away from home in CL. Even Jupp's Super Bayern.

We've been having goal fests almost every time we play away from Germany. Camp Nou, Stamford Bridge, Da Luz, Tottenham Stadium, Olimpico di Roma, RB Arena...

And I don't see any defensive minded team amongst the favourites. It's pretty much the opposite. Bayern, City, Liverpool, PSG... definitely not rock solid defenses

On the contrary, I've seen Atletico de Madrid being knocked out multiple times due to their deffensive approach in KO games.

*With post-COVID I'm talking about stadiums allowing spectators and that sort of things.
Simply defying headers or not defending at all, however, is not part of our playstyle…
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Ottomeister87 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:41 pm

I dont get the fact, why they always try to focus on a player with corners, focus on the damn ball and get there.

Nice result, last 16 and Kimmich who got subbed off around the 70 minute mark. Nice.
Ottomeister87
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby CiriacoS » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:27 pm

Considering the fact that we had a CB pair, which involved a 19 year old and Upamecano who is 23 years old I think we did pretty good. I think they did very well both defensively and also in build-up play.

You have to always consider one thing - our philosophy is such that it is not possible to switch off at wish where we will drop deep and defend with 2 lines of 4. You can not run riot at opponents and at the same time when needed drop of like prime Inter in 2010 and defend with a double block. That would be actually a suicide for us. Our defense mainly consists of anticipation, closing spaces and pressing. Our main problem is the fact that when the opponent beats our preasing or when we fail to anticipate the danger promptly our defenders are severely exposed. Therefore it looks at times like our defense is all over the place. Nevertheless, yesterday we defended as a team. Sane was attacking and defending at both ends of the pitch. That is the only way. Collective effort from the whole team.

Not to mention that against serious opposition like City or Liverpool I expext much more stable approach where we wont go full attack mode from the first minute. So I am not worried in that regard.

What I really want to see improve with this team are 2 things:
- Thiago level of dictate-play in midfield. We lack this aspect of our game when we were able to absorb pressure and to slow down the intensity of play so that our players can regroup. Kimmich is probably the only type of player with such skills. But he is much more offensive minded than Thiago so he is naturally inclined to always look for that forward pass instead of dictating play like Thiago and slowing down tempo. Goretzka and Sabitzer are typical B2B players and are of no use in that regard. The only solution for this is to buy such player.
- RB position. With each game Pavard is becoming horific. He was once again destroyed yesterday. Right now we are decimated at this position. We are extremely weak there. Its actually becoming our weak spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CiriacoS
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:07 pm

Let's also not forget the LB who was celebrating his 21st birthday.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:27 pm

CiriacoS wrote:Considering the fact that we had a CB pair, which involved a 19 year old and Upamecano who is 23 years old I think we did pretty good. I think they did very well both defensively and also in build-up play.

You have to always consider one thing - our philosophy is such that it is not possible to switch off at wish where we will drop deep and defend with 2 lines of 4. You can not run riot at opponents and at the same time when needed drop of like prime Inter in 2010 and defend with a double block. That would be actually a suicide for us. Our defense mainly consists of anticipation, closing spaces and pressing. Our main problem is the fact that when the opponent beats our preasing or when we fail to anticipate the danger promptly our defenders are severely exposed. Therefore it looks at times like our defense is all over the place. Nevertheless, yesterday we defended as a team. Sane was attacking and defending at both ends of the pitch. That is the only way. Collective effort from the whole team.

Not to mention that against serious opposition like City or Liverpool I expext much more stable approach where we wont go full attack mode from the first minute. So I am not worried in that regard.

What I really want to see improve with this team are 2 things:
- Thiago level of dictate-play in midfield. We lack this aspect of our game when we were able to absorb pressure and to slow down the intensity of play so that our players can regroup. Kimmich is probably the only type of player with such skills. But he is much more offensive minded than Thiago so he is naturally inclined to always look for that forward pass instead of dictating play like Thiago and slowing down tempo. Goretzka and Sabitzer are typical B2B players and are of no use in that regard. The only solution for this is to buy such player.
- RB position. With each game Pavard is becoming horific. He was once again destroyed yesterday. Right now we are decimated at this position. We are extremely weak there. Its actually becoming our weak spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I don’t want to ride Gladbach all the time, but this conclusion, so far, is not evident… I know it’s hard to maintain concentration in the Bundesliga, bur we‘ve seen it last week and we‘ll see it again: lackluster concentration is not back to 100% instantly!

And we need to find an approach where we maintain it better…
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Previous

Return to UEFA Champions League