You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2021-04-07] Bayern Munich vs PSG

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:00 pm

Bayern Munich will win
89%
It will end in a draw
No votes
Paris Saint-Germain F.C. will win
11%

Total votes : 9

Re: [2021-04-07] Bayern Munich vs PSG

Postby #12 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:37 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Anyway, I know I’ll get attacked by some for this but just leaving it here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39152666

I’m not even close to confident either but it’s not over.
Yes it is... Look at the teams back then... Look at the shit we have to field next week again... They were at their worst today and we scored two measly goals... That won’t even get us a win next week... And they‘ll be better and at home...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:41 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Anyway, I know I’ll get attacked by some for this but just leaving it here.

Yes it is... Look at the teams back then... Look at the shit we have to field next week again... They were at their worst today and we scored two measly goals... That won’t even get us a win next week... And they‘ll be better and at home...
You’re assuming that they WILL improve (not can... obviously they can, but it’s not guaranteed) and that it’s impossible for us do to so.

This was not PSG’s worst game of the season nor our best, so I don’t see how you could reach such conclusions.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Mani » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm

#12 wrote:
munchen99 wrote:
#12 wrote:Doesn’t feel good, but this is a true "told ya" moment!

I‘ve said it a million times: won’t fly against actual opposition... And we‘ve watched this game for the fifth time this season...

We‘re out...

Told us what? We dominated the game inside and out. Flick's insistence on alaba and boateng cost us the game. Neuer had a terrible day. Ref didn't give us one penalty from 3 handballs inside the box. All this without lewandowski. We had the players. Coach made terrible decisions. Why isn't sane subbed off? Why not put in musiala?

Tell us what? WTF are you even talking about.
Like against Bielefeld, Mainz, Dortmund, Leipzig? This is the fucking Champions League, not a kindergarten party... It doesn’t work here!

Sané created 4 good chances that the idiots in the center wasted...

What doesn’t work here? They were awful. Our finishing was just more awful but they played no part in that
Mani
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:44 pm

bbenno wrote:

You do have a point. At least we totally dominated the game, and should have scored like 5-7 goals. That is my only comfort in the return leg. But we need at least Goretzka and Gnabry in Paris.
Dude... Gnabry is OUT... How is this so hard to get?
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:50 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
#12 wrote:

You’re assuming that they WILL improve (not can... obviously they can, but it’s not guaranteed) and that it’s impossible for us do to so.

This was not PSG’s worst game of the season nor our best, so I don’t see how you could reach such conclusions.
It was our best with this joke in CF... He could have 5 Penalties and wouldn’t score three goals... Probably try to backheel 2-3...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:52 pm

Mani wrote:
#12 wrote:
munchen99 wrote:[quote="#12"]Doesn’t feel good, but this is a true "told ya" moment!

I‘ve said it a million times: won’t fly against actual opposition... And we‘ve watched this game for the fifth time this season...

We‘re out...

Told us what? We dominated the game inside and out. Flick's insistence on alaba and boateng cost us the game. Neuer had a terrible day. Ref didn't give us one penalty from 3 handballs inside the box. All this without lewandowski. We had the players. Coach made terrible decisions. Why isn't sane subbed off? Why not put in musiala?

Like against Bielefeld, Mainz, Dortmund, Leipzig? This is the fucking Champions League, not a kindergarten party... It doesn’t work here!

What doesn’t work here? They were awful. Our finishing was just more awful but they played no part in that[/quote]Yeah, so it didn’t work!

Our finishing is ALWAYS awful and so is this lame excuse of a defense... I‘ve said so after -and during- Mainz, Kiel, Gladbach, Leipzig, Dortmund, Bielefeld... But all the while the reaction was "oh but it’s not so bad" - guess what: it is!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Bavarian_Kielbasa » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:01 am

Joshua Kimmich created 10 chances against PSG, the most by a player in a single UEFA Champions League match at the quarter-final stage or later since Mesut Özil for Real Madrid v Tottenham in April 2011 (12).
Bavarian_Kielbasa
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby aterford » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:05 am

Hope dies last, perhaps, but I think there's still a chance.....

Just my observations:

1. On the whole we were not worse than PSG tonight. As rubbish as our defense has been at times, if Lewandowski plays we probably win by a 3-goal margin. Obviously that hypothetical only gets you so far, but it's not like we were comprehensively outplayed in every phase of the game, not by any means.

2. I hate referee-blaming, but Lahoz has been an awful referee for ages now (both in Europe and in La Liga) and with competent officiating we're probably going to Paris with a draw, at worst.

3. I think it's abundantly clear (and has been for some time now) that our best defense is one that includes Davies at LB and Lucas at LCB. But I'm not convinced we'll see that pair starting the return leg, so.

4. PSG have played much worse matches this season, and in general they have been worse at home than away this year. On top of that, I'm still not entirely convinced they've developed the proper killer mentality just yet, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they played a timid, apprehensive game in the return leg. But of course it remains to be seen whether or not we have the firepower to make them pay for it. But the idea that this was PSG at their worst and they'll be better at home is one that isn't really backed up by any evidence.

5. Obviously we did not struggle for chance creation, while PSG's vaunted attack didn't create much, either. Their goals largely came due to individual failings on our defensive end, not because of their sheer brilliance (though finishers like Mbappe certainly don't hurt).

6. Overall, I think it was one of those days when virtually everything goes against you. We had big injuries leading up to the match, we had a couple of injuries in the match, we created a billion chances without finishing, we had individual gaffes on defense, we didn't get a single penalty for arguably 3 handballs, and we simply just didn't have any "luck" on our side. Nonetheless, we managed a 3-2. That's not great but all things considered it certainly could have been worse. Obviously I don't expect any change with regards to Lewy or Gnabry, but if we get to the next leg and are able to finish our chances, we make less individual errors, we are a bit luckier, we have a referee who calls the match appropriately - if just one of those things breaks our way, we might well have a chance still.
God Bless Thomas Müller
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby dras_l » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:05 am

#12 wrote:
munchen99 wrote:
#12 wrote:Doesn’t feel good, but this is a true "told ya" moment!

We‘re out...

Sorry, I don't think so. If you play in 4-3-3 formation and there is some dude as CF than your responsibility is not only to deliver a ball. Was Mandjkuic one of best CF on the world? No, but that didn’t stop Robben to do his work. Sane should do much better, simple that is not enough from him.
Better strategic retreat than dishonorable defeat
dras_l
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:09 am

aterford wrote:Hope dies last, perhaps, but I think there's still a chance.....

Just my observations:

1. On the whole we were not worse than PSG tonight. As rubbish as our defense has been at times, if Lewandowski plays we probably win by a 3-goal margin. Obviously that hypothetical only gets you so far, but it's not like we were comprehensively outplayed in every phase of the game, not by any means.

2. I hate referee-blaming, but Lahoz has been an awful referee for ages now (both in Europe and in La Liga) and with competent officiating we're probably going to Paris with a draw, at worst.

3. I think it's abundantly clear (and has been for some time now) that our best defense is one that includes Davies at LB and Lucas at LCB. But I'm not convinced we'll see that pair starting the return leg, so.

4. PSG have played much worse matches this season, and in general they have been worse at home than away this year. On top of that, I'm still not entirely convinced they've developed the proper killer mentality just yet, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they played a timid, apprehensive game in the return leg. But of course it remains to be seen whether or not we have the firepower to make them pay for it. But the idea that this was PSG at their worst and they'll be better at home is one that isn't really backed up by any evidence.

5. Obviously we did not struggle for chance creation, while PSG's vaunted attack didn't create much, either. Their goals largely came due to individual failings on our defensive end, not because of their sheer brilliance (though finishers like Mbappe certainly don't hurt).

6. Overall, I think it was one of those days when virtually everything goes against you. We had big injuries leading up to the match, we had a couple of injuries in the match, we created a billion chances without finishing, we had individual gaffes on defense, we didn't get a single penalty for arguably 3 handballs, and we simply just didn't have any "luck" on our side. Nonetheless, we managed a 3-2. That's not great but all things considered it certainly could have been worse. Obviously I don't expect any change with regards to Lewy or Gnabry, but if we get to the next leg and are able to finish our chances, we make less individual errors, we are a bit luckier, we have a referee who calls the match appropriately - if just one of those things breaks our way, we might well have a chance still.
If they didn’t have the killer instinct already, we taught em today...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:45 am

dras_l wrote:
#12 wrote:
munchen99 wrote:[quote="#12"]Doesn’t feel good, but this is a true "told ya" moment!

We‘re out...

Sorry, I don't think so. If you play in 4-3-3 formation and there is some dude as CF than your responsibility is not only to deliver a ball. Was Mandjkuic one of best CF on the world? No, but that didn’t stop Robben to do his work. Sane should do much better, simple that is not enough from him.[/quote]Agree. Both Sane and Coman were poor. Maybe the snow was part of the problem though.
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MoFattal » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:50 am

We should have calmed things down after the equalizer. It was clear that PSG’s only plan was exposing our high line with quick counter attacks. Maybe if we took things slower and more systematically, this might have ended up with a win. At they very least, a 2-2 draw would have made our chances much better than theirs for next week. Now, we need to win by a 2 goal margin and I personally think we need to score 4 to advance.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:54 am

MoFattal wrote:We should have calmed things down after the equalizer. It was clear that PSG’s only plan was exposing our high line with quick counter attacks. Maybe if we took things slower and more systematically, this might have ended up with a win. At they very least, a 2-2 draw would have made our chances much better than theirs for next week. Now, we need to win by a 2 goal margin and I personally think we need to score 4 to advance.
IF that... And we won’t score 4 with this choker and the rest... We simply gave no real outlet now, our midfielders haven’t been very dangerous all season...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Faust » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 am

PSG is not a great team. We fielded a weak starting XI with a very thin bench, our defense and CF was a big joke and still could have won the game from 0-2. They haven't improved since last year and neither Pochettino is a great manager at that level, imo. Their midfield and defense were tragic. It is us and Flick that have regressed this year. Even if they go through they are going out against City. I can see a City-Real final with City probably winning it.
Faust
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 am

Seriously, I challenge ANYONE: name ONE(!) occasion where we traveled for the second leg being down a goal - regardless if the even worse result now - and still qualified! One! I think you gotta go back some 40-50 years for that...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League