You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2019-03-13] Bayern Munich vs Liverpool

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Bayern Munich will win inside 90 minutes
67%
Bayern Munich will go through after winning in extra time
5%
Bayern Munich will go through on penalties
5%
Liverpool F.C. will go through on penalties
No votes
Liverpool F.C. will go through on away goals rule after extra time
No votes
Liverpool F.C. will go through after winning in extra time
No votes
It will end in a scoring draw
10%
Liverpool F.C. will win
14%

Total votes : 21

Re: [2019-03-13] Bayern Munich vs Liverpool

Postby aterford » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 am

I wrote a few thoughts shortly after the match, here I've put them together....enjoy or something... haha.

1. I think Kovac got it mostly right in the first leg and truthfully didn’t coach a terrible game tonight, but to score zero goals (Matip OG) over 180 minutes is always going to invite some serious questions of your manager, and I think that’s not too unreasonable. Perhaps it’s on the players, but I can’t help but feel that yet again we were left without answers in the second half when things turned against us. In 180 minutes, we managed TWO shots on target. Pro-Kovac or Anti-Kovac, we should all find that simply unacceptable.

2. For a team who’s allegedly spent so much time on getting defensively sound, I just don’t know what to do. I’m not even necessarily blaming Kovac (though I think that if we’re being objective, things really haven’t improved, at minimum) because it’s the same mistakes year after year after year. Pep, Ancelotti, Jupp, Kovac. Süle, Boateng, Neuer, Rafinha, Alaba, Kimmich, doesn’t matter. Someone (or more than one!) always manages to lose their head when the pressure is on. I don’t know what needs to happen there, but our "big game defense" is a joke, IMO.

3. In general Lewy has had a great season but I think it’s also fair to ask some questions of him today. This makes seven UCL KO matches without getting on the scoresheet. And we can say things like "He’s better with Müller" or "He didn’t have the service" or "Liverpool had the right tactics" or whatever, and that’s fine – might all be true to a degree, but I think it’s not unreasonable to ask for more. I’m not saying he has to score in every single big match – he’s simply not a Ronaldo or Messi-level player, and that’s okay – but at the same time I don’t think it’s too unfair to wish (expect?) for more decisive performances in big games. What’s the longest Robben went without a UCL KO goal or assist?

4. James…I will almost always rep for James, but I’m sorry. He was just a non-factor in both matches. Like I said in the first leg, I think some of it is just a bad tactical match, which happens from time to time….but James fanboys can’t come in here with a straight face and talk about how Müller’s finished and James should always start and then ignore these showings. And that’s not even a "Pro-Müller" statement – James just has to be better in these stages.

5. Okay, now an actual Pro-Müller statement. I honestly think his absence was the main deciding factor in the tie. Neuer might wear the armband, but for me Müller’s our captain on the pitch in actuality. He’s the one who motivates and pushes our players, the one who gets the best out of others. Müller’s like a barometer for Bayern – rarely does a good performance from Müller result in a poor team performance from Bayern. When Müller plays well, everyone plays well. I am sure that he has declined in some ways, but in many ways I think he still serves to get the team going when no one else will.

6. I don't think this was necessarily a make-or-break loss for Kovac (i.e. if he was going to get sacked or be back next year I don't think it would hinge on this match alone) For the club Kovac has probably done enough to earn himself at least a full transfer window to see how the results come. With that being said…I do worry about the impact such a loss could have on the dressing room. We already saw whispers earlier in the season that things weren’t entirely rosy and that was just in the group stages. An early exit – even if it’s to a quality opponent like Liverpool – could cause trouble, I think…

7. The saddest thing is that I think Liverpool did not even play particularly well in either match. This tie was ours for the taking, and we squandered it away. Unfortunately, it’s probably the last time we’ll see Ribery in a CL match for Bayern, and probably won’t see Robben play in one for us again, either.
Kovac OUT!!!
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 am

aterford wrote: – rarely does a good performance from Müller result in a poor team performance from Bayern. When Müller plays well, everyone plays well

Not sure about this one, and this isn't even to diss Müller. In my eyes you've got your deciding players and you have your system players - the former get the team playing well when they play well while the latter play well when the team do. Messi, Robben, Ribery, James falls under the deciding players. Müller, Kimmich, most strikers would be the system players. The perfect team need both and neither's better than the other. So your statement's most definitely not wrong but I'm not sure about the correlation.

In an earlier post I suggested in hindsight that Goretzka could've started on the right in the Müller role, but with a caveat that Boateng should've started too to get our right side established, which we can't do with Süle and without Kimmich. I don't think just having Müller alone would've changed much - the way we brought the ball out of the back, especially without Kimmich, must also be adjusted to enable it. We suffocated ourselves by having Javi and Süle with Rafinha as RB, which rendered Gnabry useless, so if we wanted to use the right side of the field as a Müller type of space we should've loosened ourselves up by having Boateng on.

Agreed with the rest of the post.
Last edited by Dumbledore7 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kovac OUT!!!
Dumbledore7
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby MoFattal » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:18 am

Damn, I was just browsing around the online media, and we’re being ridiculed like never before. It’s embarrassing :(
Kovac OUT!!!
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:31 am

America USA wrote:
JAbayern wrote:This might be unpopular and I might be emotional right now but lewy is not the same and has declined

I criticized Robert very harshly last season when his wastefulness in front of goal cost Bayern the semifinal against Real Madrid. Today however I won’t blame him because our offensive tactics were so bad over 180 minutes that Lewandowski had zero decent service to really make an impact. I don’t think Robert is to blame for today’s defeat.

He was offside every time he was given service.
Kovac OUT!!!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:33 am

MoFattal wrote:Damn, I was just browsing around the online media, and we’re being ridiculed like never before. It’s embarrassing :(

I logged out of Facebook because it was glitching and now can't log back in. Maybe it's for the best.
Kovac OUT!!!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:45 am

A couple of open questions in light of today's match and the season thus far:

1. What reasons (if any) do you have to be excited/optimistic/hopeful for the remainder of the season and also for summer/heading in to next season?
2. What reasons (if any) do you have to be nervous/fearful/doubting/pessimistic for the remainder of the season and also for summer/heading into next season?
Kovac OUT!!!
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:52 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
America USA wrote:
JAbayern wrote:This might be unpopular and I might be emotional right now but lewy is not the same and has declined

I criticized Robert very harshly last season when his wastefulness in front of goal cost Bayern the semifinal against Real Madrid. Today however I won’t blame him because our offensive tactics were so bad over 180 minutes that Lewandowski had zero decent service to really make an impact. I don’t think Robert is to blame for today’s defeat.

He was offside every time he was given service.

He was offside 3 times... Two of which he never had a chance as it was those moments where the opposing defenders misplaced passes at the back, someone like Gnabry caught it by accident, and attempted to pass it back forward in a rush. Very generic random moments.

He should've finished Gnabry's cross made by Ribery's pass, but that's all I've got for criticism. The bias is getting to ramsej84 territory here.
Kovac OUT!!!
Dumbledore7
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:55 am

aterford wrote:A couple of open questions in light of today's match and the season thus far:

1. What reasons (if any) do you have to be excited/optimistic/hopeful for the remainder of the season and also for summer/heading in to next season?
2. What reasons (if any) do you have to be nervous/fearful/doubting/pessimistic for the remainder of the season and also for summer/heading into next season?

None and none quite frankly. The season's dead. The fact that the Bundesliga is only a handful of decent players and coaches ahead of Eredivisie will help in terms of Bayern results, but is a grim outlook overall.
Kovac OUT!!!
Dumbledore7
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby Bavarian_Kielbasa » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:56 am

aterford wrote:A couple of open questions in light of today's match and the season thus far:

Compared to the previous 4 seasons, I have watched significantly less games this season. I thought it was World Cup hangover but I also think this team just got stale.

Coming into the season I was possibly most excited bout James, Tolisso and one of the wingers. And all of them have been battling injury for the most part. Goretzka seems like a nice piece, just nice.

Positives - Kimmich, Sule and hopefully Lewandowski/Thiago and Hummels finally break thru

With Ribery gone, the next group is probably Boateng, Mueller and Neuer. I think mamy FCB fans will find it very difficult to let go and that might slow the process.
Bavarian_Kielbasa
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membership

Postby RVABayern » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 am

Does anyone give a **** if we win the Bundesliga and pokal right now? Yeah let’s pat ourselves on the back that we won some silverware against teams that aren’t close to our money and resources after crashing out in round of 16. Wooohooo we’re awesome. Forever number 1. Oh wait...
RVABayern
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby Bavarian_Kielbasa » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 am

RVABayern wrote:Does anyone give a **** if we win the Bundesliga and pokal right now? Yeah let’s pat ourselves on the back that we won some silverware against teams that aren’t close to our money and resources after crashing out in round of 16. Wooohooo we’re awesome. Forever number 1. Oh wait...

Pokal still excites me mostly because Tournaments are unpredictable. I am pretty over Bundesliga.
Bavarian_Kielbasa
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membership

Postby bbenno » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:04 am

Ever since we won the Bundesliga four times in a row, ive been hoping for BVB to win it.
If we win it again this year, it will only damage the international recognition of the league further.
Im still hoping for DFB Pokal success, but in this day in age, our team’s success can only be measured by CL success.
bbenno
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Denmark

Postby America USA » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:15 am

bbenno wrote:Ever since we won the Bundesliga four times in a row, ive been hoping for BVB to win it.
If we win it again this year, it will only damage the international recognition of the league further.
Im still hoping for DFB Pokal success, but in this day in age, our team’s success can only be measured by CL success.

Never understood this line of thought. By this logic the Serie A’s recognition should be damaged beyond repair by now. Also, the same goes for France (PSG dominating since 2012) and maybe even La Liga (with Barcelona dominating for a decade now)
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:23 am

MoFattal wrote:Damn, I was just browsing around the online media, and we’re being ridiculed like never before. It’s embarrassing :(

Rightfully so... We’re a joke and jokes are generally considered ridiculous...
Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:26 am

Season's over... All that’s left to hope is that we lose like the first 10 games next year, so the clueless idiot doesn’t get to ramble on a other "seven games" and maybe finally gets sacked by someone in this club who has a little sense left, say the janitor...
Kovac OUT!!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League