You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2020/21 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

How will Bayern do in the 2020/21 Champions League?

Only reach the Quarter-Finals
No votes
Only reach the Semi-Finals
22%
Reach the Finals and Win
78%
Reach the Finals but Lose
No votes

Total votes : 9

Postby Firefox1234 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:24 pm

Thought I would open a new thread for the new season with a poll attached to it! I don't know about everyone else but I feel really good about Flick doing a Zidane and winning back to back!
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: 2020/21 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:38 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:Thought I would open a new thread for the new season with a poll attached to it! I don't know about everyone else but I feel really good about Flick doing a Zidane and winning back to back!
How about ... let us still enjoy our victory which is only three days old

Imo chelsea Pool City psg will be our main rivals
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Tbh I don’t want to get ahead of myself. I’m not sure we’ll be contenders again.

Let’s do the right transfers first and take it from there.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby America USA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Still very early to say anything and as mentioned above it depends on Bayern’s transfer window (RB, Perisic, CM for Thiago’s departure and ¿Mandzukic?) and in turn our squad depth how far we will go in the UCL. Plus the transfers of other clubs too will determine which club is stronger going into the season.

If we do get our transfers right then I see only 5 teams causing us the most problems:
1. Real Madrid: Since the start of the new century whenever Bayern won the European Cup (2001 and 2013) it was Real who eliminated Bayern in the following campaign and won the UCL. Besides as long as they have Ramos, Benzema and Modric in the team I still believe they have a mental advantage over Bayern.
2. Liverpool: High press vs High press. I think Liverpool have the forwards to score goals against us and the defense to keep us out too. With Thiago most likely joining them their midfield would be seriously strong as well.
3. At. Madrid: Simeone’s park the bus and counter tactics are always a threat and I can see them being a very difficult opponent to beat.
4. Juventus: It all depends on who Juventus recruit in the transfer market and if Pirlo manages to become an instant success like Zidane or Pep. Ronaldo as usual is their biggest player.
5. PSG/Man City: This all depends on the Messi situation if Messi does leave and join one of these two teams then they will become a different beast altogether. Plus if PSG sign a top CB (Koulibaly) and DM they will be very difficult opponents. If Pep stops trying to outsmart himself then Man City too can be troublesome.

Other teams that will be difficult (but not impossible) opponents:
- Man Utd
- Internazionale
- Liepzig
- Chelsea
- Sevilla
Last edited by America USA on Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby America USA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:31 pm

For the group stages I just want Barcelona from Pot 2. Please let it be Barça [-o<

A golden chance for Bayern to beat those Catalans both home and away and thereby shutting up their bitter fans for good!
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:32 pm

America USA wrote:For the group stages I just want Barcelona from Pot 2. Please let it be Barça [-o<

A golden chance for Bayern to beat those Catalans both home and away and thereby shutting up their bitter fans for good!

What, we didn't send them to pot 4?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:59 pm

IMO the potential is there for a repeat. We're brining in Sané, who has been my dream winger for quite some time and will elevate us. We may (touch wood) finally enjoy Hernández and Süle in defense, which we didn't fully last season. There's also Tolisso, who has a point to prove. In those players I think we can find the hunger to do it again.

IMO, the crucial thing that will determine our season is how well Kimmich-Goretzka does in the absence of Thiago. Will they be able to hold the fort without a loss in quality? Will Flick be able to tweak the tactics to compensate for the loss of the Maestro's intelligence and press-resistance? I'm not sure.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby aterford » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:31 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:IMO the potential is there for a repeat. We're brining in Sané, who has been my dream winger for quite some time and will elevate us. We may (touch wood) finally enjoy Hernández and Süle in defense, which we didn't fully last season. There's also Tolisso, who has a point to prove. In those players I think we can find the hunger to do it again.

IMO, the crucial thing that will determine our season is how well Kimmich-Goretzka does in the absence of Thiago. Will they be able to hold the fort without a loss in quality? Will Flick be able to tweak the tactics to compensate for the loss of the Maestro's intelligence and press-resistance? I'm not sure.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

That's kind of my feeling. It depends how we cope without Thiago and/or how (or if) he's replaced, but broadly speaking if we're good enough to win it with Perisic/Coman/Gnabry on the wings I suspect we should be good enough to win it with Sane/Coman/Gnabry out wide, haha.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:56 pm

Celtic already out beaten by Ferencvaros
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:58 pm

ramsej84 wrote:Celtic already out beaten by Ferencvaros
That’s a shame. My Maltese team played them some 5-7 years ago. We had drawn in Malta and lost by 1 or 2 away.

I remember them because we had gotten hundreds of fans of their rivals spamming the club’s social media pages haha.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bazi » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:30 pm

I have one worry for the upcoming Champions League campaign. Whether it was in 2001, 2013 or 2020 Bayern never had the most world-class players on its squad when we won the Champions League trophy. We had just enough world-class players surrounded by lots of very good players, a high team morale and excellent coaching to get us over the top.

The question is, do we still have enough world-class talent surrounded by very good players to repeat in 2020/21? I think the surrounding very good pieces all fit pretty well except for our issues with implementing Hernandez into the back-four.

However one of our tier 1 world-class players is about to join Liverpool and cannot be replaced. Another one has not yet extended his contract and could follow suit. Müller and Lewandowski are also on the wrong side of 30 and rely heavily on their work-rate and phyiscality to retain their world-class level. Neuer is probably good for another three years but he's had injury issues before.

Kimmich is probably the only one of our world-class players whom you expect to get even better next season.

The X-factor in this is probably Leroy Sané. If he is the world-class tier 1 player after his ACL injury that we're hoping for then all my worries might be for naught. But what if he is just another very good player?

Do we have enough juice at the absolute highest level going forward? Probably for another year if Alaba stays and possibly even two more years if Müller and Lewandowski age gracefully.

But there's certainly question marks about our competitiveness in the Champions League beyond reaching the quarter and semifinals.
Bazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby SrLuisGuilherme » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:48 pm

I honestly think it will be near impossible to repeat this years performance next season. With the tight schedule, and knowing our injury history, it’s very difficult to reach the final part of the season with a full squad as we just had in Lisbon, specially since our squad will be thinner. IMO that was the main reason we won UCL this season. Back in the round of 16, first leg, we even lost Lewy to injury, who could have missed the quarter-finals. Now losing Thiago, who dictates the tempo in our midfield, and not even bothering to find a replacement isn’t really the message I’d like to have from the board.
It’s effing great we just won a treble, but like Hansi said (https://twitter.com/imiasanmia/status/1 ... 11681?s=21) that’s it seasons over gotta focus on the next one. And seeing our current situation, losing 5-6 players and only bringing in other 2 while hoping for youth players to step it up in big occasions, I can’t really see us as favorites for the UCL.
I’m not gonna get ahead of myself though... one year ago I strongly doubt any Bayern fan in the world would’ve genuinely thought we would complete a treble. Hell we were afraid of not even winning BuLi at some point lol. So yeah, let’s hope for the best either way.
SrLuisGuilherme
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:10 am

These are my points exactly... We had A LOT of luck and I think this happens... Basically never... That’s why I was so vocal about it and why I‘m toning it down now... But realistically speaking it won’t happen... I mean if we could win it every other year or every third, that would be huge already...

One thing is clear, next summer, we finally need to get ahead of our issues and get 4 players... so far we‘re inly patching holes while others are being torn in the process (i.e. FINALLY getting a - hopefully - good winger while losing a WC midfielder)...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Bazi » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:11 am

SrLuisGuilherme wrote:I honestly think it will be near impossible to repeat this years performance next season. With the tight schedule, and knowing our injury history, it’s very difficult to reach the final part of the season with a full squad as we just had in Lisbon, specially since our squad will be thinner. IMO that was the main reason we won UCL this season. Back in the round of 16, first leg, we even lost Lewy to injury, who could have missed the quarter-finals. Now losing Thiago, who dictates the tempo in our midfield, and not even bothering to find a replacement isn’t really the message I’d like to have from the board.
It’s effing great we just won a treble, but like Hansi said (https://twitter.com/imiasanmia/status/1 ... 11681?s=21) that’s it seasons over gotta focus on the next one. And seeing our current situation, losing 5-6 players and only bringing in other 2 while hoping for youth players to step it up in big occasions, I can’t really see us as favorites for the UCL.
I’m not gonna get ahead of myself though... one year ago I strongly doubt any Bayern fan in the world would’ve genuinely thought we would complete a treble. Hell we were afraid of not even winning BuLi at some point lol. So yeah, let’s hope for the best either way.

The way I can see us repeating:

- Flick finds a way for Hernandez to somehow work alongside Alaba and Davies in defense and he becomes a world-class defender for us.
- Or do we maybe even try to play David Alaba in central midfield?
- Kimmich and Goretzka step up even further after Thiago's departure.
- Sané is an absolute world-class player and immediate success for us.
- Lewandowski and Müller are able to retain their current level for another year.

I think it's especially critical to get high-end production out of our 80m € transfer. In particualr since Boateng, as admirable as his resurgance under Flick has been, was definitely a weak-link in our high line of defense.
Bazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby SrLuisGuilherme » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:19 am

Bazi wrote:
SrLuisGuilherme wrote:I honestly think it will be near impossible to repeat this years performance next season. With the tight schedule, and knowing our injury history, it’s very difficult to reach the final part of the season with a full squad as we just had in Lisbon, specially since our squad will be thinner. IMO that was the main reason we won UCL this season. Back in the round of 16, first leg, we even lost Lewy to injury, who could have missed the quarter-finals. Now losing Thiago, who dictates the tempo in our midfield, and not even bothering to find a replacement isn’t really the message I’d like to have from the board.

The way I can see us repeating:

- Flick finds a way for Hernandez to somehow work alongside Alaba and Davies in defense and he becomes a world-class defender for us.
- Or do we maybe even try to play David Alaba in central midfield?
- Kimmich and Goretzka step up even further after Thiago's departure.
- Sané is an absolute world-class player and immediate success for us.
- Lewandowski and Müller are able to retain their current level for another year.

I think it's especially critical to get high-end production out of our 80m € transfer. In particualr since Boateng, as admirable as his resurgance under Flick has been, was definitely a weak-link in our high line of defense.

Agree about Müller and Lewy... we’ll be depending a lot on those two. About Sané, he’ll absolutely have to play like a god to have such an impact. Don’t think it’s fair to put such pressure on him, but of course everyone will be expecting immediate results from him.
Our defense will be a big puzzle to be solved by Hansi, and whatever role he comes up for Süle, Alaba, Hernandez... I hope it will be the best possible for Bayern.
SrLuisGuilherme
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Next

Return to UEFA Champions League