You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2020/21 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

How will Bayern do in the 2020/21 Champions League?

Only reach the Quarter-Finals
No votes
Only reach the Semi-Finals
29%
Reach the Finals and Win
71%
Reach the Finals but Lose
No votes

Total votes : 7

Re: 2020/21 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby Mani » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:38 am

Imo Chelsea is a joke and a few good, but not world class, signings won’t change that. I’m surprised they are being mentioned here.

Liverpool and PSG should be the most difficult teams to face
Mani
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Bazi » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:13 am

Mani wrote:Imo Chelsea is a joke and a few good, but not world class, signings won’t change that. I’m surprised they are being mentioned here.

I think the odds favourites will be Man'City with Messi, Liverpool with Thiago, Bayern München and PSG. That's tier 1 for me. Probably in that order

Real Madrid, Atléti and Dortmund you can't fully count out in my opinion. If Favre gets his shit together and Sancho, Haaland & Co. make their next development steps they should be a pretty dangerous team next season. These teams should be in tier 2.

Juventus and Barcelona look terrible to be honest. But they have institutional winning knowledge so it would be disrespectful to completely count them out, but I really don't believe in either team. Then there's a couple of in-form teams every year who look like they belong into that tier. But I don't believe in either United or Chelsea. Even with all the new additions. Maybe Inter can do some damage, but I'm not a big believer in Conte.

Are we forgetting anyone?
Bazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:12 am

Bazi wrote:
Mani wrote:Imo Chelsea is a joke and a few good, but not world class, signings won’t change that. I’m surprised they are being mentioned here.

I think the odds favourites will be Man'City with Messi, Liverpool with Thiago, Bayern München and PSG. That's tier 1 for me. Probably in that order

Real Madrid, Atléti and Dortmund you can't fully count out in my opinion. If Favre gets his shit together and Sancho, Haaland & Co. make their next development steps they should be a pretty dangerous team next season. These teams should be in tier 2.

Juventus and Barcelona look terrible to be honest. But they have institutional winning knowledge so it would be disrespectful to completely count them out, but I really don't believe in either team. Then there's a couple of in-form teams every year who look like they belong into that tier. But I don't believe in either United or Chelsea. Even with all the new additions. Maybe Inter can do some damage, but I'm not a big believer in Conte.

Leipzig
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Mani » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:12 am

Leipzig have a solid system and a team but if they want to repeat last season’s success or even improve, they need new attackers and more speed. They had no chance agaisnt PSG with the likes of Poulsen and Schick playing together.

Rashica would be good for them but I’m not sure what happened to that rumoured transfer
Mani
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:39 am

My ideal Uefa Champions League

Four groups of eight teams each (home & away games)

Top two teams from each group to battle it out in a one leg K.O match at a designated venue (final 8 as in 2020)
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:50 pm

Bazi wrote:

I do not think Messi will ACTUALLY help a new team...

And I know there will be a stoning, but I do not consider us top 3 or 4 favorites... We also weren’t this year and I don’t know if our players will be THIS hungry yet again...

More importantly though, of course it's never a really fair competition, but we had a lot of advantages this year... Lewandowski getting fit through the break, having another break before playing in Portugal, getting familiar with the atmosphere early on...
It would have been harder for us in the traditional modus...

Seeing as we aren’t aiming at at least another player to really improve our squad, I see us more as having a fighting chance...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:23 pm

#12 wrote:
Bazi wrote:

And I know there will be a stoning, but I do not consider us top 3 or 4 favorites... We also weren’t this year and I don’t know if our players will be THIS hungry yet again...

More importantly though, of course it's never a really fair competition, but we had a lot of advantages this year... Lewandowski getting fit through the break, having another break before playing in Portugal, getting familiar with the atmosphere early on...

Seeing as we aren’t aiming at at least another player to really improve our squad, I see us more as having a fighting chance...
Hahahahaha 12 you couldn't remain optimistic even 1 week! :D

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Bazi » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:36 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:Hahahahaha 12 you couldn't remain optimistic even 1 week! :D

Plus every other team has weaknesses as well. Liverpool hasn't really strengthened its squad in 2 years and we all know how emotionally challenging Klopp's sytle of football can be over the years. His team is due for a burnout within the next 1-2 seasons. Especially with their lack of depth in a brutal Premiere League schedule next season.

If Manchester City spends all of its money on Messi there's probably not much left to fill some of their glaring weaknesses on other parts of the pitch. Plus how much das Kun Aguero really have left in the tank? If he can't run up and down the pitch like he used to, him and Messi will be just as big of a liability as the Suarez/Messi duo at Barcelona when the opponent has the ball.

We've seen PSG's limitations during the Championsa League finals. Two of the finest attacking players in world football but not clinical striker up-front, not enough quality in midfield to dominate possession at the highest level and several weak links in defense.

IT's not like we're favourites over an of these other three teams with our own departures and ageing squad but in my view we're pretty much on equal footing.
Bazi
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:53 pm

#12 wrote:And I know there will be a stoning, but I do not consider us top 3 or 4 favorites... We also weren’t this year and I don’t know if our players will be THIS hungry yet again...t

I tend to agree but it's a bit too early to tell.

We have to be honest with ourselves: our team overperformed a good deal. The question now is whether they'll get back to normal, in which case we aren't top 3 favourites (though I expect us to make the semis), or whether Flick has succeeded in making them permanently better, in which case we might be top 2 favourites if not the very favourite.

Sané also has the potential to be a game changer, of course.

My only real concern is depth, which will be more important than ever this season. I'm convinced the CL will be won by whoever can rotate best. I don't doubt Flick will continue to get the best out of this team and our starting 11, performing as well as they did under Flick this season, is probably the strongest out there. It depends a lot on what we prioritise. I think a treble is very very unlikely, but a CL is possible if Flick focuses on that. We do not currently have the squad to rotate in such a way as to compete for all competitions with the added fixtures from winning the CL, the lack of winter break, and the season starting late IMO.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:04 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:
#12 wrote:
Bazi wrote:[quote="Mani"]Imo Chelsea is a joke and a few good, but not world class, signings won’t change that. I’m surprised they are being mentioned here.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk[/quote]Aw come on that was a very balanced analysis, wasn’t it?!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:06 pm

Bazi wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:Hahahahaha 12 you couldn't remain optimistic even 1 week! :D

Plus every other team has weaknesses as well. Liverpool hasn't really strengthened its squad in 2 years and we all know how emotionally challenging Klopp's sytle of football can be over the years. His team is due for a burnout within the next 1-2 seasons. Especially with their lack of depth in a brutal Premiere League schedule next season.

If Manchester City spends all of its money on Messi there's probably not much left to fill some of their glaring weaknesses on other parts of the pitch. Plus how much das Kun Aguero really have left in the tank? If he can't run up and down the pitch like he used to, him and Messi will be just as big of a liability as the Suarez/Messi duo at Barcelona when the opponent has the ball.

We've seen PSG's limitations during the Championsa League finals. Two of the finest attacking players in world football but not clinical striker up-front, not enough quality in midfield to dominate possession at the highest level and several weak links in defense.

IT's not like we're favourites over an of these other three teams with our own departures and ageing squad but in my view we're pretty much on equal footing.
Keep in mind Mbappé had just gotten back from injury...

I‘m not sure he would’ve shot that Alaba brainfart so badly...
And we still had a little luck in that final... I‘m not saying we stand no chance... But seeing as we JUST won it and a repeat is also mentally demanding, I expect us to not be among top favorites... That’s all...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:07 pm

#12 wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:
#12 wrote:[quote="Bazi"][quote="Mani"]Imo Chelsea is a joke and a few good, but not world class, signings won’t change that. I’m surprised they are being mentioned here.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk[/quote]Aw come on that was a very balanced analysis, wasn’t it?![/quote]Hahaha not too pessimistic, except the part when you said we aren't in the top 3-4 contenders. The previous winner should almost always be a top 3 contender.

Liverpool is the only team I think should be really really concerning. Others like Shitty (even with Messi), PSG or Madrid are tough but manageable.

PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:16 pm

I consider City to be the biggest threat... and they have good players on the bench and a coach who doesn’t like a starting 11.

If there is one team I fear Messi going too, it is City with Pep as coach. If he goes anywhere else, including Juve with Ronaldo or PSG with Neymar and Mbappe, I wouldn’t be too concerned.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:17 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:
#12 wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:[quote="#12"][quote="Bazi"][quote="Mani"]Imo Chelsea is a joke and a few good, but not world class, signings won’t change that. I’m surprised they are being mentioned here.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk[/quote]Aw come on that was a very balanced analysis, wasn’t it?![/quote]Hahaha not too pessimistic, except the part when you said we aren't in the top 3-4 contenders. The previous winner should almost always be a top 3 contender.

Liverpool is the only team I think should be really really concerning. Others like Shitty (even with Messi), PSG or Madrid are tough but manageable.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk[/quote]I think PSG will aim hard and frankly, they have few weaknesses... They could’ve won it just as easily as we did...

And I am being objective here, I didn’t consider RM favorites to defend it either...

But again, it’s more about hunger than quality... There are quite a few teams out there with better overall and individual quality... But we wanted it more... IF we still do next year, I am much more optimistic... I doubt we'll get as much ref bias as RM though
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:19 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I consider City to be the biggest threat... and they have good players on the bench and a coach who doesn’t like a starting 11.

If there is one team I fear Messi going too, it is City with Pep as coach. If he goes anywhere else, including Juve with Ronaldo or PSG with Neymar and Mbappe, I wouldn’t be too concerned.
The guy is 33 and won’t start defending now... Seriously, it’s always been about cutting his teammates off...

I respect him, but I honestly think a Messi signing is more curse than blessing for anyone...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League