You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2019/20 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

Re: 2019/20 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Firefox1234 wrote: Can't see tweet? Click here!

Good. As it should it be.
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:

why ? why are you so elitist?
for example I rate Benfica more than some teams still present in the last 16 (like Tottenham, Lyon, Napoli and Leipzig)
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:11 pm

ramsej84 wrote:for example I rate Benfica more than some teams still present in the last 16 (like Tottenham, Lyon, Napoli and Leipzig)

Because Benfica and all these other teams typically make it out of their groups only when they're grouped with Zenit, Galatasaray and all the other nothing teams, which has happened way too often over the past 10 years. We all know there's a dead group every season.

Put them in a group with the elites and see if they pull their weights, then I'll be happy to see them in the knockouts.
Dumbledore7

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby r10 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:As it should it be.
No, it sholudn't. There should be knock-out stages for all the countries' champions from beginning, like in the past (but with as more as twice number of countries).
r10
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Re: [2019-12-16] 2019-20 UEFA Champions League Round of 16 D

Postby America USA » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:12 pm

My preferred draw would be:
Lyon vs Bayern
Chelsea vs Barça
Dortmund vs Valencia
Atlanta vs Leipzig
Real Madrid vs Liverpool
Atlético vs Man City
Tottenham vs Juventus
Napoli vs PSG
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby America USA » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:38 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
Dumbledore7 wrote:

why ? why are you so elitist?
for example I rate Benfica more than some teams still present in the last 16 (like Tottenham, Lyon, Napoli and Leipzig)

Don’t bother with him Ramsej. He’s a plutocrat who believes the rich and wealthy can do no wrong and have the divine right to make decisions for the billions of average Joes’ simply because they are “superior and wiser”

*Now before Dumbledore or someone else calls me out I do remember arguing with him on a topic in the Longue (long ago maybe in 2017 or somewhere in the first half of 2018) where he made the aforementioned contentions about the superiority of the rich and dissed on me being a Lawyer*
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby Jorge » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:48 pm

r10 wrote:
No, it sholudn't. There should be knock-out stages for all the countries' champions from beginning, like in the past (but with as more as twice number of countries).

That will never happen again. There is no incentive for the big clubs to play 2 or 3 ties against nobodies before they start facing meaningful opposition. Look at the road to the final for the Champions each year before the Champions League was implemented, that will you the story.

One example: In 1975 our road to the Championship was:

1st Round: bye
2nd Round: FC Magdeburg
QF: Ararat Yerevan
SF: Saint-Étienne
Final: Leeds United.

I am yawning already.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby America USA » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Jorge wrote:
r10 wrote:

That will never happen again. There is no incentive for the big clubs to play 2 or 3 ties against nobodies before they start facing meaningful opposition. Look at the road to the final for the Champions each year before the Champions League was implemented, that will you the story.

One example: In 1975 our road to the Championship was:

1st Round: bye
2nd Round: FC Magdeburg
QF: Ararat Yerevan
SF: Saint-Étienne
Final: Leeds United.

I am yawning already.

I know right because sadly Money and greed has corrupted the romanticism in Soccer forever :(

BTW, before money came to spoil the day I think Leeds were English champions before the PL era and Saint-Etienne were the best team in Ligue 1
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:05 pm

r10 wrote:

What's the point? I'd rather Bayern play the second or third best team in England or Spain than some Romanian league winner.
Dumbledore7

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby America USA » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:10 pm

I’ve always hated that a loser is given more importance over an actual Champion in this format. I can live with the top 2 teams from the best five leagues being given qualification however when 3rd and especially 4th places teams are given a pass it is really taking a shït on the “Champions” League.

Last years Champions League final was IMO a disgrace because it was contested between two teams who have not won their league for a combined total of 87 years!
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby #12 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:32 pm

America USA wrote:I’ve always hated that a loser is given more importance over an actual Champion in this format. I can live with the top 2 teams from the best five leagues being given qualification however when 3rd and especially 4th places teams are given a pass it is really taking a shït on the “Champions” League.

Last years Champions League final was IMO a disgrace because it was contested between two teams who have not won their league for a combined total of 87 years!

So? We weren’t champions in 2012 either... And neither in 2011...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby America USA » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:47 pm

#12 wrote:
America USA wrote:I’ve always hated that a loser is given more importance over an actual Champion in this format. I can live with the top 2 teams from the best five leagues being given qualification however when 3rd and especially 4th places teams are given a pass it is really taking a shït on the “Champions” League.

I knew someone would come up with this as a rebuttal :lol:

Read my post carefully and I’ve even highlighted something for you.

And even if we go along with that “but we weren’t BL winners in 2012” line of thought I’m still with you. Bayern shouldn’t have qualified but neither should have Real Madrid/Atlético Madrid for the 2015-16 Champions league and Liverpool for the 2018-19 Champions League.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby America USA » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Actually I am OK with the three best English/French/German/Italian/Spanish teams being selected. You see even Olympics have the Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. It is the “Top 4” thing that really gets on my nerves. That’s textbook rewarding of failure and look at Arsenal who somehow finished Top 4 for eternity yet never won the UCL.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:49 pm

America USA wrote:
#12 wrote:

I knew someone would come up with this as a rebuttal :lol:

Read my post carefully and I’ve even highlighted something for you.

And even if we go along with that “but we weren’t BL winners in 2012” line of thought I’m still with you. Bayern shouldn’t have qualified but neither should have Real Madrid/Atlético Madrid for the 2015-16 Champions league and Liverpool for the 2018-19 Champions League.

1.) I did... I don’t need to read again... But these are the rules and this is the competition... I don’t think every law necessarily makes sense, heck, you’re American, you could probably write a book about it... Doesn’t mean I'm not following it...

2.) Yes we should have... It is not the national champions cup, it’s the league crowning the champions of Europe...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League