You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2018/19 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

Re: 2018/19 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby America USA » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:50 am

VAR is good, but it seems like the refs are influenced by slow-motion replays.

There is absolutely no way, 0% chance that Kimpembe handled the ball with intent, he jumped with his back toward ball so the arms will naturally move to keep balance.
When you look at it in real time, that is never a penalty, but I guess this ref is as equal drama queen as Mike Dean.

Took this quote from an Arsenal fan forum.

To all those saying clear penalty, I ask you what was Kimpembe or any other defender biologically supposed to do in that situation?

He went in to block a shot (which wasn’t goal bound anyway but that’s another issue) and the football was hit at tremendous pace from a pretty small distance. If he had gone face first into stopping that shot and it hit him in the face then he definitely gets a broken nose or tooth because of the momentum with which the ball is traveling. So in order to avoid those health hazards, he jumps in with his back to the ball and while jumping at that angle it is the arms natural reaction to stretch out to balance the weight in the air against gravity. Still IMO Kimpembe does a very good job of keeping his hands tucked in as far as possible and no way were his arms flapping outstretched to make him big or to be in a blatant unnatural position.

Plus with Kimpembe blinded by going in with his back to the incoming speedy football there is no way, a 0% chance, that he could’ve accurately predicted where he’d be hit on the body. There is absolutely no way he could’ve intended to stop the ball with his arm at that moment.

The referee should’ve seen a real time replay after the countless slow mo ones. In real time all this happened in less than a couple of seconds.

Even if you are a “strict constructionist” it’s still undisputed that that was a very very harsh penalty. Any fan base would be outraged by this decision especially when it’s giving the opponent a free shot at goal with just injury time to play. Highly recommended for players defending a narrow lead after the 80th minute in the UCL to wear handcuffs but I doubt even that would stop the modern referees from making atrocious penalty decisions.

Again I’ve got no soft spot for dirty oil clubs like PSG and yes they are largely themselves to blame for their elimination by gifting Manchester United two goals and Mbappe bottling his chances and not starting Cavani. However it’s instances like this VAR penalty call that make me believe more in the conspiracy theories (not looking conspiratorial at all now) that UEFA is a deeply corrupt organization who care only about $$$ and could care less about fairness. Yesterday one of UEFA’s mega cash cow Real Madrid was eliminated and there was no way UEFA wouldn’t do their best to prevent losing another money making club like Man United.

Manchester United undeservedly qualify for the QFs and I hope that disgusting club gets drawn against the toughest possible opponent like Atletico or Barcelona.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Lukas » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:24 am

ramsej84 wrote:From Moana Image

I don't see any Pacific islanders :? They'd be playing rugby anyway
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Lukas » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:43 am

There is some annoying Norwegian snowman though. Obsessed with seeing "summer" because he's so fucking lucky he knows he somehow wouldn't melt :twisted:
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 am

The penalty though unlucky was a legit one as the ball changed direction...

Kimbepe was hit by Karma... in the first leg he scored when he should have been sent off in the first half.

Man utd / OGS lucky? (Three gifted goals)
I adimt that they were kind of... but one has to acknowledge that they were playing with lots of missing players and kept on believing , so kudos to them.

@american usa. Cavaini was not fully fit in fact he also missed the first leg

Re Real. No one mentioned that they hit the post twice (I didn't see the match) first when the game was just three mins old and the other when the score (I believe) was 1-3!
So FINALLY Real tasted some misfortune as well ...
Had Benz scored that first goal things would have gone differently
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:12 am

ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:02 am

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am

clear penalty - period....

f*** off P$G
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:15 am

ramsej84 wrote:clear penalty - period....

f*** off P$G

Yes clear penalty but if it was given to Juventus you'd be screaming mafia.
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:17 am

ramsej84 wrote:clear penalty - period....

f*** off P$G

The fact experts are undecided whether or not it was a penalty is proof that it is NOT a "clear penalty", and thus the original referee decision was NOT a "clear and obvious error", which means that VAR had no right communicating with the referee, even if they felt they would have given the penalty.

The VAR rules are quite clear. They may only inform the referee if they think he missed awarding a penalty that is blatantly obvious. The Kimpembe handball was not a blatantly obvious handball foul (even though the ball clearly hit his arm).

Note that I'm not trying to judge whether or not it was a penalty in the first place, but just the fact that those two Italians in the VAR team didn't follow the rules they were supposed to follow because I find it hard to see how that situation can be judged as a "clear and obvious error". Just an error, maybe, but definitely not "clear and obvious".
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:13 am

some of the manutd celebrations [source]

Solskjaer dubbed as the King of comebacks :evil: - they better enjoy the moment cause it won't last for long...
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby America USA » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:13 am

Sorry ramsej have to agree to disagree here. If this penalty was given to Real Madrid, Barcelona or Juventus or against Bayern you’d be posting about this being a mafia job. You’re letting your hatred of Islamic Oil clubs blind you. Now I too detest clubs that have only become successful due to an injection of middle eastern blood money but this is about UEFA making sure they milk the clubs with the largest fan bases to make more profits.

Also, if that’s a clear penalty then from now a smart strategy for losing teams would be to start taking shots from outside the box from improbable/ridiculous angles and hope that the resultant block/clearance from the opposition defenders involves any part of the arm’s anatomy in any kinda iffy position. A penalty will be awarded and the losing team is right back in the game with a free shot at goal.

Given our flat attacking display in the first leg and assuming that Robben, Coman and Alaba will miss the second leg, I guess Bayern should try this tactic against Liverpool and hope that VAR does it’s job of giving Lewandowski a spot kick.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Machiavellico » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 am

Look, man, I think you're wrong. The whole "where else is he supposed to put it?" defense doesn't hold that much water, in my opinion. I mean, what's next? "oh, sorry ref, there was no anatomically way possible for me to stop my sliding tackle and so how could I have stopped myself from kicking that guy?".
If you know your body is about to get in an illegal position, you just don't do that. Period. You can't just jump with your arms spread out and say *but how else was I supposed to make that jump?*. How can you say that's okay???? What's the next thing? this gets allowed and then every defender is allowed to jump as much as he can, so that he can spread his arms wide to keep his balance and then we get what? 5 goalkeepers instead of one?

I say it was as clear as possible and the refs were right to give it. And good job to the one that caught it, cause I sure didn't see it live.

PE14
Machiavellico
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Romania

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 am

I can understand the views of someone calling it a penalty, and wouldn't have protested if it was given by the referee as an initial decision. But for VAR to call upon the referee, thereby declaring his original decision as a "clear and obvious error", is not something I can ever agree with. I'd have done the same if the referee had awarded the penalty and VAR asked him to review, because it wouldn't have been "clear and obvious" either way.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 am

Qualified: Ajax, Tottenham, United, Porto
Eliminated: Real, Dortmund, PSG, Roma

Who would have thought that :shock: ?!
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Machiavellico » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:36 am

MUTU wrote:I can understand the views of someone calling it a penalty, and wouldn't have protested if it was given by the referee as an initial decision. But for VAR to call upon the referee, thereby declaring his original decision as a "clear and obvious error", is not something I can ever agree with. I'd have done the same if the referee had awarded the penalty and VAR asked him to review, because it wouldn't have been "clear and obvious" either way.

Don't you think that between a corner and a penalty there is a *clear and obvious* difference?

PE14
Machiavellico
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Romania

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League