You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2018/19 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

Re: 2018/19 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby America USA » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:49 pm

After all these results I really want to see Bayern qualify for the next round. I know it’s still highly unlikely and Liverpool will mostly go through but I don’t care even if Kovac is given another season or not. I just want to see Bayern shut up the PL fanboys who are talking too much nowadays.
Last edited by America USA on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fénix » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:49 pm

Borusse wrote:Why would you assume new rules would be worse? Every improvement in any area of life comes with changing something, I don't understand this kind of thinking. If someone figures it out and finds an interesting solution then it should be tried. Otherwise lets revert back to no-offside and keeper being able to catch a ball in his hands after a pass from his defender.

Because that's how it's going to be if you've read the proposal and what is going to be treated as a handball whether there is an intention or not.

Do you remember the second goal, ie the awarded penalty for France in the World Cup final against Croatia after Perišić unintentionally played with his hand? It took that Argentinian 3 minutes to gift France, but according to new rule, this is not going to be a matter of discussion or controversy but a clear penalty.

Football is not about playing with your hands and arms, so this what football's got for the last 10 years regarding offside rules and handball play was unimaginable 15-20 years ago.

Imagine how would possession-oriented teams suffer from it if opponent goalkeepers would be able to take the ball in their hands numerous times after a pass by foot. I was thinking about that some 8-9 years ago and I concluded that it might destroy possession football and give weaker opponents advantage against top clubs in their leagues, break the pressing whenever they want to, etc.

The new proposal says that players wouldn't have to wait for a goal-kick, ie the ball to leave out of 16m box to play, but they would be able to receive it within the box which is not allowed, especially for the opponents' strikers.

I guess you know what I think about modern football and rules, so I would easily solve many problems by returning to pre-Bosman settings and conclude this crap of a game that we watch after Euro 2008.

As the time runs forward I only got one impression in this decade: the louder the whining is, the quality of football and players is getting worse. :)
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby Bentonomo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:51 pm

America USA wrote:
Bentonomo wrote:definitely football seems to be more fair with the Var.

Taking this post from RAWK regarding VAR
Nobody, nobody on the pitch was claiming that as handball. Nobody. VAR ref slows it right down sees a minor movement of the arm to the ball and then asks the ref to look at it. We saw in the World Cup that the moment the ref is asked to look at it again he’s got it in his head that he’s made a mistake (otherwise they wouldn’t be asking him to take another look) he sees the slowed down version as well, and gives it.

At no point did they run that at anything close to full speed to see whether he reacted by moving his arm. It supposed to be clear and obvious and there was enough doubt there as to whether that was anyway intentional, or even whether he “made himself bigger”. It was marginal. Had the ref on the field given it then it’s a different story, but he’s overturned his original decision of a corner based on a slo-mo replay. I don’t think that’s right.

Spot on IMO

Nobody saw the ref mistake of not giving the penalty, only the var, only technology.
Bentonomo
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Mexico

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:08 am

America USA wrote:If Ajax draw Manchester United next and eliminate them too that would be some fairytale level giant killing :mrgreen:

Except Man Utd are only giant in name.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:08 am

From Moana Image
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby America USA » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 am

ramsej84 wrote:From Moana Image

“English” football club :lol:

On a serious note though, every time I see United win a game late my blood starts boiling and I feel like smashing the screen. My hatred for this vile club knows no bounds and only Real Madrid eclipses my detest for Scumchester United.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby #12 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:24 am

Machiavellico wrote:Yes, Tuchel, the great mastermind that somehow managed to lose to United’s second team, having Mbappe up front. Glad we dodged this bullet. Granted, we might have been shot with an even bigger one, but let’s judge Kovac after the second leg. Because some of you were already choosing UCL favourites after the first matches, saying PSG is one of the top teams this year. As we can see, there is no such thing as a clear favourite this year

I love the unpredictability. I love it so much. This isn’t supposed to be math

Unpredictability? I'm like 90% sure it'll be Shitty... Only Barca can stop em... If Atlético can make it to the final maybe... But I'm afraid it’ll be Guardiola (with whom I wouldn’t have an issue...)
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Achilles » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:28 am

Talk to me about the almighty Tuchel, please :lol:
Such pathetic fanboys drooling over him in summer....
Mia san mia
Achilles
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby shpati_L1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:37 am

Achilles wrote:Talk to me about the almighty Tuchel, please :lol:
Such pathetic fanboys drooling over him in summer....

I'm a fan of him and really wanted him to become our manager. But he needs to go to prison for what he did tonight.
shpati_L1
2016/17 & 2012/13 Prediction Games Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Albania

Postby Achilles » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:52 am

He is not a terrible coach but the crucifixion of the board for not signing him like he is THE COACH was paranoia from some members here.
Mia san mia
Achilles
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:58 am

Achilles wrote:He is not a terrible coach but the crucifixion of the board for not signing him like he is THE COACH was paranoia from some members here.
Don't forget that he is dubbed as the German Pep
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 am

Achilles wrote:He is not a terrible coach but the crucifixion of the board for not signing him like he is THE COACH was paranoia from some members here.

Look we LITERALLY wound up with the worst guy out there... Yes Tuchel is not a Messiah, neither are Klopp or Zidane... But they’re better than Kovac on any day...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby America USA » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:16 am

ramsej84 wrote:
Don't forget that he is dubbed as the German Pep

He probably is. Experimenting in such a crucial game. Why didn’t Cavani start? I only watched the second half and Mbappe missed at least two very good chances to seal it for PSG. Having Cavani as CF would’ve helped Mbappe and maybe he would’ve buried that chance around the 81st minute.

Also I what’s the logic of starting 40 year old Buffon for “experience” if he’s going to be making mistakes like that? Parrying the ball directly into the Strikers’ path is a cardinal goalkeeping sin.

And finally LOL at Kehrer the apparent heir to Hummels and Boateng in the German defense according to the genius Löw. That idiot literally gifted Manchester United start of the comeback.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby aterford » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:22 am

Admittedly it's a bad look for Tuchel but I don't think it makes him a failure or inherently worse than Kovac. Obviously there's no way of making a fair comparison, until someone figures out a way to wind back time and hire Tuchel for this season with these players and compare how he fared with how Kovac's done. But anyways.

I really think regardless of manager it is just going to take some time and new blood with PSG. They clearly have some serious mentality problems and it seems systemic. I don't know if it's something with the 'club culture', the bosses, the players themselves, but I have a hard time pinning it on Tuchel too much when PSG has basically made an artform out of bottling big games they should win. That 6-1 to Barca had to seriously mess some of those guys up and I think sometimes it takes a LONG time to exorcise those demons, so to speak. "Choker" or "Bottler" mentality can be very, very hard to break out of. So I don't absolve Tuchel of all fault - but PSG's issues seem to run much much deeper than the manager at this point.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Postby sherpthederp » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:11 am

aterford wrote:Admittedly it's a bad look for Tuchel but I don't think it makes him a failure or inherently worse than Kovac. Obviously there's no way of making a fair comparison, until someone figures out a way to wind back time and hire Tuchel for this season with these players and compare how he fared with how Kovac's done. But anyways.

I really think regardless of manager it is just going to take some time and new blood with PSG. They clearly have some serious mentality problems and it seems systemic. I don't know if it's something with the 'club culture', the bosses, the players themselves, but I have a hard time pinning it on Tuchel too much when PSG has basically made an artform out of bottling big games they should win. That 6-1 to Barca had to seriously mess some of those guys up and I think sometimes it takes a LONG time to exorcise those demons, so to speak. "Choker" or "Bottler" mentality can be very, very hard to break out of. So I don't absolve Tuchel of all fault - but PSG's issues seem to run much much deeper than the manager at this point.

Reminds me of Pochettino and Tottenham.
sherpthederp
I post all the time

National Flag:
United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League