You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2018/19 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

Re: 2018/19 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby Borusse » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:06 pm

For me it was one of those handballs that if you're a PSG fan you have a right to feel like it was a harsh decision but the ref had the right to give a penalty. Handball rules can be very tricky sometimes, a lot is left for interpretation.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby Bentonomo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:07 pm

clear penalty for me
Bentonomo
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Mexico

Postby aterford » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:07 pm

bastos80 wrote:Paris are the biggest bottlers in recent history :lol: Like holy crap

It really is astounding. I mean, you've got a 2-0 lead (with 2 away goals!) going into this game. And United basically fielded the B-lineup with a U23 and U18 players as two of their subs. Even if the penalty was absolutely 100% indisputably wrong, PSG have no business losing that game by any margin, it's just embarrassing
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:09 pm

Bentonomo wrote:atletico, city, barsa or Bayern to win this
Barca or City...
We are not equipped to win ....
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:10 pm

Borusse wrote:For me it was one of those handballs that if you're a PSG fan you have a right to feel like it was a harsh decision but the ref had the right to give a penalty. Handball rules can be very tricky sometimes, a lot is left for interpretation.

Context matters too I think. In a perfect world fouls and handballs are called the same for all 90 minutes of the match - but I think there's a natural assumption that in the final minutes you "let them play" a bit more. Not saying that's correct, but I think that's how many think. So a handball like that given so late *feels* more harsh than an identical one given much earlier in the match.

For me that has no bearing on whether it's the right call or not - but I do think it has a big impact on how a call is perceived by many fans.

In short: if that call is given as a handball in the 35th minute, it's probably no big deal and not many complain about the call. But since the context is different it seems to get perceived a bit differently.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Postby America USA » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:11 pm

shpati_L1 wrote:Are you guys blind? That's a penalty. What does someone need to do to considered a handball? Slam dunk?

I believe players should start playing with handcuffs now or perhaps consider amputating their arms because even a natural arm position is now enough to warrant a handball.

Penalties are supposed to be given for infringements that are clear and obvious denial of goal scoring chance in the box. Dalot’s shot was rising and not goal bound. Also, Kimpembe’s right hand was not outstretched and not in an unnatural position whatsoever. I can guarantee you that 10/10 people when turning their backs on a ball hit at close range with no vision (Kimpembe’s face was turned back so there’s no way he could see where the ball would strike him) would have their hands in a similar position and that’s as near the body you can have your arm tucked in.

Feel sorry for Buffon, second year in a row he gets screwed over by a scandalous late penalty decision. UEFA, why you so corrupt? :|
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tuscanybayern » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:13 pm

tuscanybayern
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Borusse » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:13 pm

I hate handball rules in football to be honest, I think they should do something about it, I have no idea what though.

But too often I see penalties given for handballs that just weren't intentional, as a defender you can't constantly be thinking what to do with your hands and hide them, sometimes you will get hit in the hand and you're left at the mercy of the ref, he needs to decide what were your intentions and often just makes a call which another ref wouldn't make. It sucks, the rules should be more clear than that.
Borusse

National Flag:
Poland

Postby Fénix » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:14 pm

PSG are something what Real Madrid were in the previous decade between 2004/2005 and 2009/2010 when they couldn't move further than Round of 16 all those seasons except PSG played in this decade CL quarterfinals.

But well... It's hard to become a top side when your tradition in terms of success is more than miserable. The same goes for Manchester City. Unlike the latter 2 clubs, Chelsea had a success and experience in the 90's before Bosman left the dippers.

Whatever, Man United once again managed to repeat something what they did against Juventus in the group stage under Mourinho.

Now it remains to remove City and Tottenham from the CL and then we have just Traditionsvereine remaining.
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby #12 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:15 pm

MUTU wrote:
#12 wrote:To you... You also think a 0-0 while still being the worse ream is a great achievement...

Look at the money Ajax spends on players... Topping a group with them is mandatory!!!

Yes they eliminated RM - so? Rm are a saturated team, you act like all the shot we see in Bundesliga happens for the very same reason - so stop accusing others of your own actions...

So let me try to understand you.

Bayern top Ajax => Bayern spends more money than Ajax, so it is mandatory for us to top them
Ajax eliminate Real Madrid => great coach!

No they already had a great coach against us... Just that there is less juice left in the RM squad fielded yesterday than in ours... It’s also mandatory for RM to beat Ajax... Thing is: just because they and their coach suck ass doesn’t make ours sucking ass much better...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Borusse » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:15 pm

aterford wrote:
Borusse wrote:For me it was one of those handballs that if you're a PSG fan you have a right to feel like it was a harsh decision but the ref had the right to give a penalty. Handball rules can be very tricky sometimes, a lot is left for interpretation.

Context matters too I think. In a perfect world fouls and handballs are called the same for all 90 minutes of the match - but I think there's a natural assumption that in the final minutes you "let them play" a bit more. Not saying that's correct, but I think that's how many think. So a handball like that given so late *feels* more harsh than an identical one given much earlier in the match.

For me that has no bearing on whether it's the right call or not - but I do think it has a big impact on how a call is perceived by many fans.

In short: if that call is given as a handball in the 35th minute, it's probably no big deal and not many complain about the call. But since the context is different it seems to get perceived a bit differently.

Sure, as explained in my next post, I just dislike penalties for handballs like these and many other handballs. But I agree ref made the right choice according to the rules.
Borusse

National Flag:
Poland

Postby America USA » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:21 pm

Borusse wrote:I hate handball rules in football to be honest, I think they should do something about it, I have no idea what though.

But too often I see penalties given for handballs that just weren't intentional, as a defender you can't constantly be thinking what to do with your hands and hide them, sometimes you will get hit in the hand and you're left at the mercy of the ref, he needs to decide what were your intentions and often just makes a call which another ref wouldn't make. It sucks, the rules should be more clear than that.

This is where I stand too. How the hell is the defender supposed to know where he’s going to be struck by a ball hit ferociously at such a short distance. Kimpembe is doing his best to keep his arm tucked in and the hand is NOT unnaturally outstretched. His back is turned and with his head turned too he has no vision of where he’s going to be hit (unless players are now supposed to have eyes on the back of their head too)

Modern Referees are a fuçking joke.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fénix » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:22 pm

Borusse wrote:I hate handball rules in football to be honest, I think they should do something about it, I have no idea what though.

No, they can't be better and that's just like it is. It's a part of football and it has always been. New rules about handball are going to be even worse than this now regardless of one's intention to play or not.

I still have a picture in my head from the 2nd leg of Round of 16 from 2005/2006 at Allianz Arena when Bayern's Valerien Ismaël was holding his whole arm on the chest and stomach yet referee didn't even think for a second to point on the white spot and award penalty for AC Milan.
Back then almost every handball in the 16m box was a clear penalty, but in the last 8 years a lot of things have changed and I think there's no more to change.

It has always been about how lucky you are (not) to play or get hit with the ball in your hand and arm.
Last edited by Fénix on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fénix

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby shpati_L1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:23 pm

This is very true.
shpati_L1
2016/17 & 2012/13 Prediction Games Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Albania

Postby #12 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:24 pm

America USA wrote:
shpati_L1 wrote:Are you guys blind? That's a penalty. What does someone need to do to considered a handball? Slam dunk?

I believe players should start playing with handcuffs now or perhaps consider amputating their arms because even a natural arm position is now enough to warrant a handball.

Penalties are supposed to be given for infringements that are clear and obvious denial of goal scoring chance in the box. Dalot’s shot was rising and not goal bound. Also, Kimpembe’s right hand was not outstretched and not in an unnatural position whatsoever. I can guarantee you that 10/10 people when turning their backs on a ball hit at close range with no vision (Kimpembe’s face was turned back so there’s no way he could see where the ball would strike him) would have their hands in a similar position and that’s as near the body you can have your arm tucked in.

Feel sorry for Buffon, second year in a row he gets screwed over by a scandalous late penalty decision. UEFA, why you so corrupt? :|

Man alive would you wrote that twenty thirty times more? I mean seriously, are you deliberately making up a new rule or do you just not know it? It is I R R E L E V A N T (!!!) whether or not the ball is goalbound... Doesn’t matter AT ALL...
Tell you what next time Hummels controls the ball, no attacker in sight, he should just pick it up and throw it! Cause there was no goalbound ball right?

Can’t really argue with the rest of your post though, definitely a harsh pen, but that rule of yours is just ridiculous...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League