You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2017/18 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

Re: 2017/18 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread

Postby aterford » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:59 am

YlonenXabi wrote:Update on the Champions League winning team odds on Bet365

Manchester City @ 4.33
Bayern Munich @ 5.50
Barcelona @ 6.00
Real Madrid @ 6.50
PSG @ 11

Somebody needs to find these betting houses with millions of euros at stake and bless them with their infinite wisdom.....Apparently they didn't get the memo that we're hopeless
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:51 pm

As from next season matches will be played eirher @1855 or at 20.45

So those who finish work at 19.00 like I do will certainly miss 30mins from the gAme.

Thanks Uefa...
As if one is interested to watch all the games...
OK maybe they want to please certain markets.... as if others do the same to please us Europeans.
Another show of spineless character by European idiots

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:07 pm

... but you shouldn't be finishing work at 19.00 in Europe :D
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:55 pm

MoFattal wrote:... but you shouldn't be finishing work at 19.00 in Europe :D
Many do.
Even who work till 17.30 will find it difficult cause of traffic.

ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:18 pm

ramsej84 wrote:As from next season matches will be played eirher @1855 or at 20.45

So those who finish work at 19.00 like I do will certainly miss 30mins from the gAme.

Thanks Uefa...
As if one is interested to watch all the games...
OK maybe they want to please certain markets.... as if others do the same to please us Europeans.
Another show of spineless character by European idiots

For South America it seems that's 2:55pm and 4:45pm (not sure which timezone those times you quoted are in), so it's still a shitty time as everyone is working. Don't understand your perpetual "us vs them" mentality; it's fairly clear UEFA's intention is simply to allow viewers to watch 2 games per Matchday, regardless of timezones, thus maximizing profit. In any case, globalization is a reality you're going to have to face. If there were any significant interest from global viewers to watch non-european football, adjusting schedules to accommodate as many people as possible would also be the rational thing to do... There just no demand for such a thing, as all the great players in the world play in Europe... And the fact that all great players play in Europe is also a consequence of globalization btw...

EDIT: I looked it up, it's CET. So that's 1:55pm and 4pm for South America. Shitty times... If I'm not mistaken, currently CL is played at 3pm, so the only difference it makes is that you would be able to watch 2 games if you're able to skip work or whatever.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:29 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:the only difference it makes is that you would be able to watch 2 games if you're able to skip work or whatever

The amount of people who don't go to work or to school in Brazil is, by my calculations, at least half the population of Germany.

Also, despite agreeing that it's not an "us vs them", I presume that ramsej84 was talking more about the Eastern countries, say China. For them, matches will start at 01.55 or at 04.00. A bit more watchable than at 03.45.

All in all, UEFA absolutely needed to do something considering the TV ratings of the Premier League were higher than the Champions League. Not that this will change much, though. IMO, Champions League matches should move to the weekend. League matches would be postponed to the mid-week. Only then can the Champions League stop losing ground to the Premier League.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:38 pm

MUTU wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:the only difference it makes is that you would be able to watch 2 games if you're able to skip work or whatever

The amount of people who don't go to work or to school in Brazil is, by my calculations, at least half the population of Germany.

Also, despite agreeing that it's not an "us vs them", I presume that ramsej84 was talking more about the Eastern countries, say China. For them, matches will start at 01.55 or at 04.00. A bit more watchable than at 03.45.

All in all, UEFA absolutely needed to do something considering the TV ratings of the Premier League were higher than the Champions League. Not that this will change much, though. IMO, Champions League matches should move to the weekend. League matches would be postponed to the mid-week. Only then can the Champions League stop losing ground to the Premier League.
You're probably right on your first point, but I'm not sure that's what UEFA had in mind.

On the second point, I don't think it's much of a difference; yes, 1am is better than 3am, but then 4am is worst than 3am (pretty much unwatchable). The change would make a marginal difference at best...

Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is that UEFA aims to make it possible for a viewer to watch 2 matches, and not just one (especially for Europeans, for whom the times are better). The alternative explanation, that it's a move to make it easier for foreigners to watch at the detriment of locals, doesn't hold up very well IMO.

PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Postby MUTU » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:43 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:
MUTU wrote:

You're probably right on your first point, but I'm not sure that's what UEFA had in mind.

On the second point, I don't think it's much of a difference; yes, 1am is better than 3am, but then 4am is worst than 3am (pretty much unwatchable). The change would make a marginal difference at best...

Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is that UEFA aims to make it possible for a viewer to watch 2 matches, and not just one (especially for Europeans, for whom the times are better). The alternative explanation, that it's a move to make it easier for foreigners to watch at the detriment of locals, doesn't hold up very well IMO.

Why are you taking just the hour? It's not 1am, it's 1.55am. That's 5 minutes before 2am. And currently it's not 3am for them; it's 3.45am, quarter to four. Basically kick-off will be split in two: one that kicks off 1 hour 50 minutes earlier to current kick-off times, and one that kicks off 15 minutes later than current kick-off times.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Anyway let's just agree that the biggest losers here are the wives who aren't interested in football :mrgreen: :cheers:

I'm just imagining ramsej84 rushing home, driving like a maniac, honking the horn at the old people driving slowly, slamming the front door behind him and his wife lovingly asks him "how was your day, darling?" to which ramsej84 angrily shouts "where's the f**king remote?!?! and bring me a f**king beer."
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby German-American » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Its been awhile since I have posted!! I am going to Rome for spring break on Thursday with some friends, a couple of us including myself are going to see Roma Play Shaktar!!!
Bayern for life, I just want to see at least one game...thats all I ask
German-American
I post all the time

Location: Grew up in Hillsborough,NJ....Lives in Haymarket, Va....attends WVU
National Flag:
United States of America

Postby America USA » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:51 am

This would be Juve’s best line up against Spurs if Higuain is not fit.

Yes Howedes is coming back from injury but his experience could prove beneficial and many times players have come back from injuries and played blinders. I wouldn’t trust Lichtsteiner at 34 to play the Wing-back role effectively. Instead Allegri should play Costa there and tell him to do more defensive work when needed. Whenever I’ve seen Juve play Khedira he has been toothless in midfield and I would either play Marchisio or Sturarao instead. Finally, Buffon has been a great GK but starting him in a vital KO game solely for sentimental reasons (especially after the performance he had in the first leg) would be naive.

This would be PSG’s best lineup against Real Madrid if both Neymar and Mbappe are unavailable.

IMO Meunier is a better choice at RB than Alves. Motta is needed to protect the defenders and not let Real dominate in midfield. The rest of the team picks itself, although an argument could be made for Trapp but it seems that Emery rates Areola higher than Trapp.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membership

Postby MoFattal » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 am

Howedes was removed from Juve’s CL squad earlier this season.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby YlonenXabi » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Neymar won't play for PSG but Kroos and Modric trained yesterday with the team for the first time in two weeks. I think we might see only one of them and probably Kovacic will be given a starting role.

Marcelo is doubtful as well, but it seems he will play
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Manchu » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:53 am

I'm not sure how all the random injuries for both teams affect the probability that Real Madrid will advance. If anything, I suspect that the current situation with regards to injured players/players not fit enough to start favors PSG(Draxler and particularly Di Maria are very good backups and aren't half as selfish as Neymar), but obviously that all changes if all three of Kroos, Modric, and Marcelo can start and perform.
Manchu
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 am

Neymar will be ready for the second match in the world cup group phase

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League