You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2021-01-03] Bayern Munich vs 1. FSV Mainz 05

Discussions on the German Bundesliga matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:00 pm

Bayern Munich will win
100%
It will end in a draw
No votes
1. FSV Mainz 05 will win
No votes

Total votes : 3

Re: [2021-01-03] Bayern Munich vs 1. FSV Mainz 05

Postby aterford » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:27 pm

Aequitas1987 wrote:Its not an isolated statistic either. Goals conceded. Its a concious choice to a large degree that our high press, win ball back at all costs to crazy attack results in. It compromises our defense. We will concede more under Flicks high octane style - its simply the opportunity cost for the aggression.

Granted, 21 is a lot and quite a few of those goals were not only on breaks. Hoeever, in order to explode and play as well as we do in transitions our formations off the ball are also setup not purely for defensive solidarity.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes there's some truth to that. But in that sense: what I mean is that this year's string of conceding first...I'm not sure it's the result of our defense playing worse (per se) or that it points to something we've been doing wrong and/or something we're failing to do properly. Overall, our defense is performing largely at the same level it was last season - our expected goals against us are largely in the same ballpark, but our actual goals conceded is way higher. Or another way of saying it: We're allowing a similar quality AND quantity of chances against us this year as we were last year, but at the moment more of those chances are being converted. I suspect the problems we're seeing now were largely in place last year too, but last year we were perhaps a bit luckier and not such slow-starters as we are at present. Of course that is not to say there's no room for improvement or that we should just embrace the status quo, but I do think when it's viewed contextually it's not as bad (or at least not as *different*) as it may initially seem.
God Bless Thomas Müller
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Previous

Return to Bundesliga