You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bad Bad Bundesliga

Discussions on the German Bundesliga matches.

Bad Bad Bundesliga

Postby fcelber87 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:09 pm

Angry Germans turn on 'bad Bundesliga'

BERLIN (AP) - Bayern Munich's exit from the UEFA Cup has left Germany searching for answers as to how the Bundesliga got so bad.

The German league's best team was humiliated 4-0 Thursday by Zenit St. Petersburg in the semifinals, extending the league's drought in reaching European finals to six straight years.
Worse, Bayern has routed domestic rivals this season the same way it was demolished by the little-known Russian team. If a four-time European champion strong at home struggled to compete in Europe, many doubted other teams in the Bundesliga would do any better.

"That embarrassing 4-0 in St. Petersburg has shocked the whole Bundesliga," Berlin daily B.Z. wrote. "Why isn't our football good enough for Europe?"

Newspapers weren't the only ones alarmed after a defeat that was the top story on the nightly news shows. The unexpected rout seemed - in 90 short minutes - to expose years of slippage by the Bundesliga.

"That has to force everyone to think about what we can optimize," Germany coach Joachim Loew said. "We have to improve our play off the ball to belong to the world's best."

Loew said England's Premier League was played at a faster pace. He suggested the Bundesliga and national team work together more closely.

Some want the league to bring in coaches and management from outside Germany, in much the same way the Premier League has profited from Arsene Wenger at Arsenal and former Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho.

There were widespread calls to improve the standard of German coaches, suddenly called second-rate and tactically 10 years behind the rest of Europe.

"German coaches have never set milestones for progressive tactics. We kept the "libero" (free man position), developed in the '70s, well into the '90s," said Hoffenheim coach Ralf Rangnick, considered one of the best tacticians in the country.

"As far as I know, no one has failed the soccer federation's training course for coaches in the last 35 years," Rangnick said. "The reforms that people are calling for are long overdue."

German soccer has allowed in only a handful of foreign coaches - usually Dutch from just across the border who speak the language. Management is almost totally German, and league rules and club structures shut out foreign investors.

No one was bothered so long as Borussia Dortmund won the Champions League in 1997, Bayern lost the final in 1999, won it in 2001, and Bayern Leverkusen was a losing finalist a year later.

But on Thursday, Bayern was beaten by a team which lacked household names but played more modern soccer. Bayern could not win any of its final four UEFA Cup matches against Zenit and Getafe - teams unlikely to trouble the top German clubs a few years back.

"Dear friends, we don't underestimate the others, we overestimate ourselves - to a degree that is slowly getting embarrassing," Bild daily wrote. "We are bad, bad, bad, bad. Recognizing that fact might be the first step to getting better."

I thought this was an interseting article worthy of discussing. The problem may not be Bayern, but with german football in general. What do guys think. Will Klinsman be a breath of fresh "modern football" air?
fcelber87
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby walter » Sun May 04, 2008 8:27 pm

Interesting article. I had read it too and agree with some of it --like the outdated coach tactics and approach to the game. On the other hand, comparisons with EPL are ludicrous. EPL has only 4 competitive teams: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U. which have lots of money to buy the biggest stars, the rest of the teams in EPL suck! just look how they didn't do anything in the UEFA Cup and pretty much German teams dominated UEFA until the quarter finals--but Zenit turned out to be the slayers of German teams... Also, Hamburg lost to Leverkusen, and Nuremberg lost their pass to quarterfinals on injury time. Zenit is a well organized team with a very good coach (much better that Hitzfeld), so is really no suprised that they knocked out Bayer and Bayern...
Obviously it is very difficult to compete with the big guns of the major leagues, and thats due to the fact that they have the money to buy players that can make a difference in their starting lineup but also in the bench, plus they have better coaches...
Some German teams (Bayern, Werder, Schalke, Hamburg) have a starting lineup that can compete with many of the big guns in other leagues, but the problem is they lack depth in the bench and there is always one or two players injured at a time that need to be substituded by a below average player...
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby andresdonado15 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:29 pm

man.......this article tells the true.......it was a really embarrasing defeat........since a long time ago.....some friends have bothered me because i like bayern........and they like teams like milan....real madrid............barsa.................i have to defend myself with fine arguments to make respect bayern........but..........the thursday defeat was a highlight........i was astonished......fortunatly we crowned bundesliga champions......but how could make it sense if we lose to get high in europe???
andresdonado15
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Bundesliga