The 4-6-0 formation is rare. The idea of having a formation with no strikers does not appeal to most clubs, although Barcelona are doing something similar (in a different way) by playing Messi as a false nine. However I do think that Bayern Munich have the right players to make this work. These are the main advantages we would gain from playing such a system. I believe they would help us overcome our troubles against defensive-minded teams, and also get rid of our predictability.
- It has no real target man. The suggestion in that article is slightly different from mine in this regard because it suggested Müller as a sort of target man. I see it as an advantage not to have a target man. Gomez for example is often marked out of the game by the two central defenders, whose main job is to stop him. The fullbacks get the help they need in marking Robbery from the midfielders (who often play as defenders against FC Bayern).
- Our forward line ends in the area where we our central attacking midfielders are in our current formation. Theoretically this should help make the defenders come out at us, thus making them leave their own area. Of course not everyone will fall for this so this is where we have to work on making the most out of our long shots. Ribéry, Robben, Schweinsteiger, Tymoshchuk, Kroos and Müller (in other words, the 6 in the 4-6-0) all have great long shots, but most of them have been shooting very badly lately. We need to work on this.
- It is a very flexible formation:
THE MAIN FORMATION:
- Can easily change into a 4-2-3-1:
- Can easily change into a 4-3-3 (or 4-2-1-3):
- Can change into a 4-1-2-1-2:
- Can change into a 3-4-3:
What we need is our players (particularly Ribéry and Robben) to be willing to switch positions during the game. We also need to use the total football that Louis van Gaal brought to the team to be able to make the above changes effectively. As I have said we needed to get rid of Louis van Gaal as we want real success. Heynckes has shown us this by stabilizing our defense. But we must not completely disregard what he did here: van Gaal laid the foundations, and now we must build on that.
Share this article!