You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Qatar's 'Dream Football League' Idea

Discussions about football played outside Europe, or international competitions.

Qatar's 'Dream Football League' Idea

Postby Jorge » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:52 pm

A very interesting article about what some claim it is a joke while other take it seriously for obvious reasons:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/bootroom/id/202?cc=5901
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Re: Qatar's 'Dream Football League' Idea

Postby MoFattal » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:25 pm

An interesting idea. Similar to that European Super League. But, it doesn't make sense to have it made in Qatar. Maybe Qatar can sponsor the European Super League? That might work.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby FCB general » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Remember this? 8)

Now seriously, I'm against that elite competition. Today's CL has become Super league which is reserved for big teams. Almost every season 2 spanish clubs in semi-finals, english and italian, now 2 german will be, and what is left is one french, portuguese, russian and ukrainian.

I won't watch that football if this become a reality.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby MoFattal » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Yeah, but having a league where we play an elite week-in week-out would be something. Not a KO tournament as the CL, but a true league.
MoFattal

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Jorge » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Well the way I see it is that if the European Super League where we would have played in our own stadium, in front of our fans throughout the year at the end had more cons than pros, this idea of an off-season bi-annual league in the artificial country of Qatar will be so detrimental to World Football that it could lead to total chaos with some countries breaking away and forming parallel organizations.
I even saw more reasons for the European Premier League idea where the top clubs from 2nd tier European countries (Portugal, Netherlands, Scotland, etc) contemplated when the big 5 leagues became almost world leagues after the Bosman rule. But the article is good about expressing concern that even if it sounds absurd by today’s standards there is a real danger of these things becoming reality.

Who would have thought of a World Cup in Qatar 20 years ago? (Well I still refuse to believe it) then add a big handful of major European clubs controlled by Qatari individuals and groups and the rise of Al Jazeera displacing traditional western based TV distributers of Football, just here in the USA BeIn Sports is taking big bites of the market at a pace that they seem to have no competition.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:32 pm

FCB general wrote:Image

Remember this? 8)

Now seriously, I'm against that elite competition. Today's CL has become Super league which is reserved for big teams. Almost every season 2 spanish clubs in semi-finals, english and italian, now 2 german will be, and what is left is one french, portuguese, russian and ukrainian.

I won't watch that football if this become a reality.

hehe of course it was my 1st Fifa (99) :)
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Jorge wrote:A very interesting article about what some claim it is a joke while other take it seriously for obvious reasons:

The Times editor already apologized. Everything was made up by a source they trusted way too much and it backfired big time.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby stoutekont » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Are there more fans of the FIFA Club World Cup over here? Those clubs should be in a future Dream League. I have made a site about the tournament (don't expect much of it) :
http://www.stadiumzone.weebly.com
If it's not allowed to post links I'm sorry, please remove it :)
I think the Club World Cup is the most underestimated tournament in the world. It doesn't get very much media attention, but it's all about the most prestigious title in the world: World champions!
Nice to see our club in the list :D
stoutekont
First post

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:23 am

The CWC does need restructuring, but it shouldn't be a dream league. I believe it should include more teams (semi-finalists from all associations, maybe?) and it should retain its knockout format.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby lau03143 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:37 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:The CWC does need restructuring, but it shouldn't be a dream league. I believe it should include more teams (semi-finalists from all associations, maybe?) and it should retain its knockout format.

I think it doesn't need expanding, but it needs to get moved away from Japan to Europe, or at least a different venue each year. But, it's at the wrong time of the year too.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby MoFattal » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:39 am

^ Agreed. It needs to have a standard European timezone. And, it needs to be shifted to the summer. However, that would only be applicable in 1 summer every 4 years as the remaining 3 are occupied (World Cup, Euro Cup, Confederations Cup). But, if that's the case, then one could come up with a format similar to that of the WC and make it a 4-year tournament.
MoFattal

National Flag:
Lebanon

Return to Football Around the World