You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

American football (soccer)

Discussions about football played outside Europe, or international competitions.

American football (soccer)

Postby StrikingMidfield » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Was just looking around the forums for an MLS thread and couldn't find one, even though I know a lot of us on here are from the states.
So I thought that I'd make one, if I went temporarily blind and didn't see the MLS thread, please lock this.

I know a lot of people don't have much respect for MLS fans, and as an MLS fan I can tell you, most fan bases don't deserve much respect. Now there are a few, like the Cascadia Rivalry thats been going on for around 40(?) years now between my Sounders and Portscum (Timbers). Now I know that the play is FAR below that of most European leagues, but the fans, atleast in Seattle ( and as much as I hate to say it, Portland) I can GUARANTEE aren't. I was at the match that this display was put on, this is done by our Ultras group (ECS) and is a quite common thing.

Now Bayern is and always will be number 1 in my heart, but I really thought that my second team (and local team) deserved a shout out. I know that it's currently the off period of the MLS, but the super draft is coming up which will hopefully give us something to talk about in this thread. So come on out and lets talk about that little league where superstars come to retire :lol:
StrikingMidfield
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Major League Soccer

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 pm

I can't say I'm a huge fan of MLS but I watch some games in summer and Seattle Sounders are my favourite team there. I used to like Jefferson Montero and Zakuani. Don't know if they are still there though. Also Casey Keller played here in Spain a long time ago, so it was funny to see him once again

I like the team because I loved Seattle SuperSonics in the NBA a few years ago :)

Another team I used to watch were Brek Shea's FC Dallas.
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby StrikingMidfield » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:I can't say I'm a huge fan of MLS but I watch some games in summer and Seattle Sounders are my favourite team there. I used to like Jefferson Montero and Zakuani. Don't know if they are still there though. Also Casey Keller played here in Spain a long time ago, so it was funny to see him once again

I like the team because I loved Seattle SuperSonics in the NBA a few years ago :)

Another team I used to watch were Brek Shea's FC Dallas.

Good choice for an MLS team mate :D
Jefferson I don't think is here anymore, but Zakuani is (just came back 3/4 of the way through last year from that vicious tackle that broke his leg) and Montero is on loan for this season. And Keller is probably one of my favorites of all time, he's a HUGE legend in this city, even people that don't know there offsides from their handballs knows about Keller :mrgreen: Sadly I never went to a SuperSonics game, but I've heard that they were great.
StrikingMidfield
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby YlonenXabi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 pm

StrikingMidfield wrote:Jefferson I don't think is here anymore

Oh my bad. I thought Montero was called Jefferson. Freddy Montero :) Jefferson Montero is another different player

So when does the new season start?
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Re: American football (soccer)

Postby Dhuber24 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:38 pm

I think Stoke completed the transfer of Brek Shea the other day, which is exciting because he's a good prospect.
Mia San Mia
Herr Huber
Dhuber24
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby lau03143 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Dhuber24 wrote:I think Stoke completed the transfer of Brek Shea the other day, which is exciting because he's a good prospect.

Stoke have sent Maurice Edu on loan to Bursaspor in Turkey.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby NikolajFromDenmark » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Oduro fifa legend!

How high do you rate Jimmy Nielsen? He was shit in Dk, when he was there to be honest (not a thing you hear from me about a danish player :mrgreen: )
NikolajFromDenmark
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MBP728 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 am

I was not a huge fan of MLS until I went to a game. While it still doesn't compete with European football, it is definitely a lot of fun being there at a game. I follow it a lot more now too. Plus it keeps me happy during the summer time.
MBP728
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby smaw2010 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:14 pm

One thing which I like about the MLS and all other sports in America is that they are extremely organised. They set the schedules very well and the most important thing is that there is a large fanbase which the clubs treat their fans very well.
smaw2010
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby lau03143 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 pm

smaw2010 wrote:One thing which I like about the MLS and all other sports in America is that they are extremely organised. They set the schedules very well and the most important thing is that there is a large fanbase which the clubs treat their fans very well.

It's easier to set schedules when you're playing less games at a lesser level.
who have come to
Munich as strangers
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby lau03143 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:57 pm

I also hate when they play with a Silver ball, it looks ridiculous, like a wee ball bearing.

It's also hard to judge the spin and speed of the ball. That's why there is always details on normal match balls, and why you never see a solid white ball. The silver ones are just a joke.
who have come to
Munich as strangers
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby MBP728 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:28 am

The fanbase in the United States, regardless of the sport, is very die hard. They may not get as violent as some of the hooliganism seen in some European football fans but I have seen some really messed up stuff at games. Some of it is commendable fan support and some it is really embarassing and gives a bad reputation for fans. I just read something about an Atlanta Falcons fan getting stabbed after the game against the 49ers. Stupid stuff. I know the MLS has less talent than other leagues but the fans add a lot of atmosphere to give it more credibility.
MBP728
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby StrikingMidfield » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:03 am

YlonenXabi wrote:
StrikingMidfield wrote:Jefferson I don't think is here anymore

Oh my bad. I thought Montero was called Jefferson. Freddy Montero :) Jefferson Montero is another different player

So when does the new season start?

Pretty sure we had a Jefferson before the jump into the MLS, though he's long gone lol
We have Friendlys though February and the season starts in March :D
StrikingMidfield
Woah, this feels cool!

Postby nur4bayern » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 am

The cool thing about MLS is we here in the USA can see some of our favorite European players in action. So what if it's past their prime. I'm in Southern California and I really enjoyed watching Robbie Keane play for the Galaxy this season. Now there's talk about Frank Lampard joining the squad. Hey, it beats paying for airfare to Europe!
“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.”
nur4bayern
I post all the time

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby StrikingMidfield » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:32 am

nur4bayern wrote:The cool thing about MLS is we here in the USA can see some of our favorite European players in action. So what if it's past their prime. I'm in Southern California and I really enjoyed watching Robbie Keane play for the Galaxy this season. Now there's talk about Frank Lampard joining the squad. Hey, it beats paying for airfare to Europe!

Totally agree with you there. While I'm a Sounders supporter, I always try to make it to games against the Galaxy because they always have legends from Europe. Seeing Beckham play is a dream that's made possible by the MLS.
StrikingMidfield
Woah, this feels cool!

Next

Return to Football Around the World