You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

FIFA Ballon d'Or 2013

Discussions about football played outside Europe, or international competitions.

Re: FIFA Ballon d'Or

Postby MUTU » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:32 am

Firefox1234 wrote:Ballon D'or goes to....

So he mentions Messi and Ronaldo, and he says we need to add Ibrahimovic, but no mention of the UEFA Best Player in Europe 2013...
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby runaway » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:36 am

Sepp Blatter is like Fergie's new book, a joke. :lol:
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby unknownsoul » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:38 pm

unknownsoul
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby runaway » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 pm

unknownsoul wrote:http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/10631?cc=4716

Thanks, it's a very good read.
For the first time in five years this field was genuinely open. Messi, Ronaldo and Ribery, each in their own way, had cases that could be argued and supported. Were Ronaldo to win I must admit I'd be pleased that his almost perpetual excellence was finding individual reward, but I'd be unsure that his first half of 2013 hadn't been obscured by the prevailing climate of "now is important and yesterday is nothing."

His competitive international goals, only four in eight matches prior to the Sweden games, had come against Northern Ireland and Luxembourg. It was this failure to score in crucial qualifiers that helped ensure that Portugal were left in the playoffs.

He couldn't swing Real Madrid's Champions League semifinal against Borussia Dortmund in his side's favour nor, despite scoring, could he see Los Blancos through to Copa del Rey final glory against Atletico Madrid -- a rival that Madrid hadn't lost to since 1999. Incidentally, he was also red-carded in that game.

One of the few things the Ballon d'Or criteria do specifically emphasize is "performance in big matches." (Trophies aren't specifically mentioned.) Though I'm very far from "against" Ronaldo winning this year's award, I'm shocked by the number of people, fans, journalists and professional football people who say he's the outright World No. 1 for 2013 largely because he has been white-hot since September.

Truer words have never been written. Ronaldo, the best player since September. Ribery, the most consistent player from 2012-2013. Messi, the most injured player in 2013. :wink:
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Ronaldo is an incredibly lucky guy. The votes get extended just when he had his only good game for the NT in 2013, he's in the best form of his life, and Ribery and Messi are injured.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:36 pm

I'm going to say something unpopular here.

My heart hopes that Ribery wins it, but my mind tells me Ronaldo deserves it. I just hope Messi, who as I've explained over and over again recently I find to be extremely overrated, doesn't win it again. Ribery may have won more cups, but Ronaldo deserves it more in my opinion. He's always there helping his team(s) during the hard times, and has scored far more than Ribery. This season Ribery is in the form of his life scoring-wise, and yet he hasn't even scored 1/3rd of the goals that Ronaldo scored so far this season. Granted, Ribery assists more, but Ronaldo has 7 assists to his name this season too.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Tedesco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:45 pm

It's the Sneijder thing all over again.

Funny that they mention Ronaldo put Portugal into the WC, at the same time they are blind to the fact that all three goals from France came also from Ribery in key passes and assists.

Ribery in 2013 has: BuLi, CL, Pokal + France in WC
Ronaldo has: goals + Portugal in WC
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:57 pm

At the same time, both Ribery and Ronaldo scored a goal in the Champions League semifinals. One reached the final because his teammates contributed as well, the other didn't. This is an individual award. I would love Ribery to win, but he wasn't better than Ronaldo.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:59 pm

One should also note that the games against Sweden were a result of Portugal failing to qualify directly to the World Cup from a pretty much average group, whereas France had it harder with Spain around. Unfortunately, I think the last game in particular will be the main asset for Ronaldo to win a lot of extra votes after the extended deadline.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby ballackfcb » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Ballack said Ribery deserves the award, therefore Ribery will win the Ballon d'Or. :D
ballackfcb
2013/14 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:06 pm

MUTU wrote:Ribery may have won more cups, but Ronaldo deserves it more in my opinion. He's always there helping his team(s) during the hard times, and has scored far more than Ribery. This season Ribery is in the form of his life scoring-wise, and yet he hasn't even scored 1/3rd of the goals that Ronaldo scored so far this season. Granted, Ribery assists more, but Ronaldo has 7 assists to his name this season too.

But the Ballon D'Or is not the Golden Boot. Ronaldo has been terrific so far in 2013/14, but looking at last season as well, I think Ribery deserves it more.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:18 pm

If they want to assign it to the most selfish and ego-centric player ever who is a primadonna.
What matters for him is only how he is going to look, team work is not into his vocabulary.
So be it.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Tedesco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 pm

I feel a bit gutted about this.

But in the end it is a popularity contest and people have really really short memories. Now everything is OMG HATTRICK SWEDEN ... GOAL ... THINGS
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Badger » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Like most other Bayern fans, I'd be delighted if Ribery won it. I don't care much for Ronaldo, but I feel that I have to acknowledge that he has been in outstanding form since the start of the season, stepping up a bit from where he left off last season. If he wins the trophy, it will not be undeserved.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby Borusse » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:40 pm

We can all agree Ronaldo is a better player than Ribery I think.

But we need to be clear about the rules of this award. Does it go to the most succesful player of the year or the best player of the year? If the first one, its obviously Ribery, if its the second one, it must be Ronaldo. He was the best player as an individual.

However if the award would have to go to the most succesful player of the year then why not Schweinsteiger, why not Muller, Robben or Lahm?

Although I would want Ribery to win it because I like him and he also deserves this recognition, I must say Ronaldo deserves it a little bit more. He was the best player in 2013, Ribery was "just" the best (arguably) player of the best team in 2013.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

National Flag:
Poland

PreviousNext

Return to Football Around the World