You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Confederations Cup

Discussions about football played outside Europe, or international competitions.

Re: Confederations Cup

Postby Bazi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:14 pm

quaazi wrote:
Bazi wrote:Italy might have won this match but what Japan displayed in this match was much bigger than the result on paper.

Japan, a country with more citizens than Spain, Italy and Portugal put together is finally awakening as a football superpower. This enthralling performance is just an early trembling of a mighty earthquake which will establish Japan as one of the top superpowers in World football.

It's a lovely thought, but there's far less room for football pitches than in China, which is well known for its lack of space for football development.

But as long as they develop in the Bundesliga... :wink:

I don't understand your argument at all. You're saying there is no space for football pitches in Japan and that's why they can't compete? Look at the Netherlands no space and still a great football nation.

The important thing is the public will to create a professional environment for top youth development and that's set into place in Japan and we see the results of this development with players like Kagawa, Honda and other talented players. In my view that's only the beginning.
Bazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby quaazi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:42 pm

You can't compare Netherlands, we're talking about a footballing mainstay for a century here! Japan still has to deal with baseball before football can come even close to being the main sport. That's not to mention the vast differences in terrain between the two countries.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby Bazi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:51 pm

quaazi wrote:You can't compare Netherlands, we're talking about a footballing mainstay for a century here! Japan still has to deal with baseball before football can come even close to being the main sport. That's not to mention the vast differences in terrain between the two countries.

I agree with the football history part, that's something Japan is still lacking behind the truly greats but the terrain argument is just ridiculous. First there are of course enough flat regions to play football. Their big cities are not build in the middle of the mountains after all. The Japanese are great engineers, if they need a football field then they'll build one. They are after all the leading nation in agricultural and construction machinery technology in the entire world.

Moreover baseball has lost in importance over the last 20 years, among the young generation football is becoming increasingly popular, especially after the 2002 WC. More importantly, the interest in football is increasing steadily with brilliant youth development infrastructure in place and a league that learned to trust its homegrown talent.
Bazi
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby quaazi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Fair enough re: baseball, but what on earth makes you think the Japanese, known for their frugality when it comes to space, would prioritize football fields over other infrastructure, public or otherwise? Barring a massive government-backed program, it is completely unrealistic. They key word is "if they need a football field". They have so many other needs that take priority.

Of course, clever and coordinated development could work around that. Youth futsal + average japanese build (let's face it, they aren't going to dabble in your classic english kick 'n rush) could make for an awesome technique oriented football culture, not unlike modern Spain.
The ideal team

quaazi

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby tflags » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:29 pm

If the Japanesse want to build a WC worthy football infrastructure, privately or publicly funded, they will do so without any issues. The cost of funding is probably the lowest in the world and the purchasing power so great it would make it an afterthought. And regarding space; I bet a few landowners (traditionally the wealthiest post WWII people in the island) wouldn't mind building a few stadiums here and there. For God's sake they have build entire cities underground and entire airports where on top of plain ocean.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby quaazi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:00 pm

tflags wrote:If the Japanesse want

Again, that's the thing, innit?
The ideal team

quaazi

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby tflags » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Judging by the traffic from these football stores and their sheer number everywhere; I would say football is well on its way to become very important in Japan. And they are not your typical 'tourist' stop. These guys have customized boot workshops (any BRAND!) on their basements full with kids running around with their new cleats. Trust me; THEY LIKE FOOTBALL. Anyhow it is just an observation; nothing conclusive.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby Jorge » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Wow, some people are blowing things out of proportions here:
1) Japan's progress in football is not something new, in the last 10-12 years their team always showed signs of a big contender; but they are still more than a generation away from becoming a serious challenger.. In almost 100 years of WC history only 8 countries have won the WC, and up until 1998 the list was only 6.
2) This Italian team is far from being a top class team, it certainly still has world class players but the midfield leaks through huge holes for 90 minutes while Buffon needs crazy glue on his gloves.
3) Based on this logic the USA could have been crowned WC champs in 2010 since they left an even better impression in Confederations Cup 2009.
4) National Teams Football run in cycles, and the trend is even more pronounced in 2nd and 3rd tier teams (where Japan falls) So typically some 1st tier teams like Italy, Netherland or France can fall out of the top and even miss qualification for the World Cup but they come back, 2nd and 3rd tier countries can make a good run challenging the top and rapidly fade away needing a longer cycle to come back not to the top but where they were. Countries like Croatia, Turkey and even the USA (2002) had recent good runs at WC only to rapidly fade away in the next cycle.

Note: I believe it is time for a real underdog to win the WC, if a team like Japan could win the hearts of everyone but it is unlikely to happen.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby brickwall281 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Japan is making progress, and has been for a while. Just because you saw the Italy match and got a taste of their performances doesn't mean they only just made progress, but what I'm hoping for that that will bring Asia on the football map, because once a team on our continent goes up, the others will try to beat it.
:pep: Gooby Pls :pep:
brickwall281
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iraq

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Seems the Italy vs Japan match was an exciting one and a great performance by the Japanese team. I only watched the goals, the usual Italian luck and a penalty which I think was harshly given.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:28 pm

@English_AS: Spain XI to face Tahiti: Reina; Azpili, Albiol, Ramos, Monreal; Martínez, Mata, Silva; Cazorla, Villa, Torres

Seems like Martinez is gonna start vs Tahiti today, hopefully he gets a hat trick :P

By the way the largest Confederation Cup win was 8-2 Brazil vs Saudi Arabia in 1999.....
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby Sydaney » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Great game this morning, a draw would have been more deserving and make the final games in the group more interesting too.

I've been impressed by Keisuke Honda since seeing him in 2010 WC (that freekick blew my mind =P~ ), man is criminally underrated and been playing in Russia all this time...come on! :x
Sydaney
Getting the hang of it

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:11 pm

MUTU wrote:There's an air of sour grapes here. He is an excellent player with a great future, and Barcelona got him. Good for them. They will be a tougher nut to crack now.

Definitely. From Barca's perspective it is a great transfer, but for Neymar himself my opinion is that it would have been better to move elsewhere.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bazi » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:30 pm

Those protests in Brazil aren't going anywhere anytime soon and the army hitting the protests into the ground wouldn't be good publicity for the WC 2014 at all.

Brazilian politicians are really as corrupt as they get...almost on par with the Indian authorities I figure.

Can you believe it? They spend more than 500m Real (tax money) on a stadium and the richest guy in the country can rent it for 6m real per year. :|
Bazi
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby AdepT » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Bazi wrote:Brazilian politicians are really as corrupt as they get...almost on par with the Indian authorities I figure.

Rupee is down to 60 per dollar. :cry:

Also, we are planning to bid for U17 WC 2017. I guess that we are ahead of others and might surely get it.
Another opportunity for those ba*tards to make some easy money. :evil:
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

PreviousNext

Return to Football Around the World