You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Raphaël Varane

Rumours and news about the transfer market. Who are FC Bayern attempting to sign? Who's going to leave? Find it all here.

Re: Raphaël Varane

Postby Thiagoalcantara » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:56 pm

MUTU wrote:
Thiagoalcantara wrote:He’s a ball-player but he’s not the quickest…I think he could get exposed (in the Premier League)…I think Man United need a powerful defender…who is very physical and very aggressive, and that is definitely not Hummels.

-Owen hargreaves

Funny you should try and prove stuff by quoting one of the biggest, if not the biggest, Bundesliga-import disappointments for the Premier League. Man United spent around €1m per match, EXCLUDING WAGES, for Owen Hargreaves :lol:

Owen Hargreaves was among the "most disappointing signings’’ of Sir Alex Ferguson’s managerial career, the former Manchester United boss claims. [source]

You should see the huge list of bundesliga flops in England...
Thiagoalcantara
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Thiagoalcantara wrote:
MUTU wrote:
Thiagoalcantara wrote:He’s a ball-player but he’s not the quickest…I think he could get exposed (in the Premier League)…I think Man United need a powerful defender…who is very physical and very aggressive, and that is definitely not Hummels.

-Owen hargreaves

Funny you should try and prove stuff by quoting one of the biggest, if not the biggest, Bundesliga-import disappointments for the Premier League. Man United spent around €1m per match, EXCLUDING WAGES, for Owen Hargreaves :lol:

Owen Hargreaves was among the "most disappointing signings’’ of Sir Alex Ferguson’s managerial career, the former Manchester United boss claims. [source]

You should see the huge list of bundesliga flops in England...

Bet you can't name a bigger Bundesliga flop in England. 4 years of salary and €25m (which at the time was an enormous fee... In comparison, two years later Bayern bought Ballack for €12.9m, practically half the price) for 27 matches played and 2 goals scored for Man Utd.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Thiagoalcantara » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:05 pm

Hargreaves flopping had to do with injuries though from what I remember.

As you guys even said, EPL is a pace driven league. Hummels would get exposed for his lack of pace, unless the manager hid it like they did with john terry at chelsea the past few seasons or play very conservative defensive football
Thiagoalcantara
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Thiagoalcantara wrote:Hargreaves flopping had to do with injuries though from what I remember.

As you guys even said, EPL is a pace driven league. Hummels would get exposed for his lack of pace, unless the manager hid it like they did with john terry at chelsea the past few seasons or play very conservative defensive football

Pace is not a critical attribute for a defender. What Hummels lacks in pace he makes up with superb interception and great tackling ability.

Also pace never stopped Germans playing for a top Premier League club. Mertesacker only managed to cover the distance of the entire pitch last month in his 5 years at Arsenal.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Thiagoalcantara » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm

MUTU wrote:
Thiagoalcantara wrote:Hargreaves flopping had to do with injuries though from what I remember.

Pace is not a critical attribute for a defender. What Hummels lacks in pace he makes up with superb interception and great tackling ability.

Also pace never stopped Germans playing for a top Premier League club. Mertesacker only managed to cover the distance of the entire pitch last month in his 5 years at Arsenal.

That stat is complete bs. Cesc and Mikel use to have the best cover the distance stat as well.. And mertasakcer got replaced by a south american....

Pace is important, which is why John Terry got exposed so much this season at chelsea because he didnt have the cover to compensate for it.
Thiagoalcantara
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Thiagoalcantara wrote:
MUTU wrote:

That stat is complete bs. Cesc and Mikel use to have the best cover the distance stat as well.. And mertasakcer got replaced by a south american....

Pace is important, which is why John Terry got exposed so much this season at chelsea because he didnt have the cover to compensate for it.

I don't think you understood my tongue-in-cheek comment. I meant Mertesacker's total distance covered over 5 years was the length of a football pitch, because he's so slow. Seriously, Mertesacker makes Hummels look like The Flash.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby pyrasur » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Robb3449 wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:
Thiagoalcantara wrote:You guys are just homers if you do not think so.

This isn't 2012. Hummels hasn't been a so called great player in a while...

the fact that you have 100 likes gives me shivers =P~

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those are of the accidental likes scrolling Tapatalk variety. I'm know I'm guilty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want you to know that, this time, my thanks wasn't an accident. :)
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Thiagoalcantara wrote:Pace is important, which is why John Terry got exposed so much this season at chelsea because he didnt have the cover to compensate for it.

I think one needs to look at it from a team point of view rather than an individual. Pace is certainly important for CBs, but other qualities can make up for it. You can't have two slow CBs (as we know better than anyone), but you can afford to have a CB without much pace if he's great at other things and has a partner who makes up for his speed.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Machiavellico » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:05 pm

Thiagoalcantara wrote:Pace is important, which is why John Terry got exposed so much this season at chelsea because he didnt have the cover to compensate for it.

Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand were probably the best CB duo in the past 20 years of PL. And yet neither was pacey. Especially Vidic. How is it really that pace is so important? Look at Leicester's CBs from this season as well. Huth is a rock. And Morgan isn't any Speedy Gonzales either.
Pace is a bonus, but I wouldn't really call it important. The mind is the most important attribute of a defender.

PE14
Machiavellico
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Romania

Postby #12 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:15 pm

pyrasur wrote:Actually I must commend you for your knowledge of American slang. I checked urban dictionary and in fact a homer is apparently someone who shows blind loyalty.

For some reason I felt the reference to a Greek heroic poet was supposed to be an insult, I just didn't understand how.

I was thinking Image

There's better defenders than Hummels... Silva is not one of them... There are few CBs with better playmaking ability - including Boateng... Which is why overall there are few CBs close to Hummels' class...
Boateng and Hummels, Javi or Renato in front if them... Looks pretty much like a textbook defense...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Thiagoalcantara » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:21 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:

I think one needs to look at it from a team point of view rather than an individual. Pace is certainly important for CBs, but other qualities can make up for it. You can't have two slow CBs (as we know better than anyone), but you can afford to have a CB without much pace if he's great at other things and has a partner who makes up for his speed.

Your right. If one makes up for the other, it could work or the tactics employed.. I think for pep's team, a slow cb would of gotten killed with our high line we play....

Chelsea employed this tactic essentially. OScar played more of a defensive n10, Matic covered the back four and caesar azp went from rb to lb to cover jt's lack of speed. So, jose tactically made the team work out. However, once the team stop working, jt starting to get exposed with his lack of pace and eventually got benched for the first time in his career.....
Last edited by Thiagoalcantara on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thiagoalcantara
I post all the time

Postby Thiagoalcantara » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:23 pm

Machiavellico wrote:

Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand were probably the best CB duo in the past 20 years of PL. And yet neither was pacey. Especially Vidic. How is it really that pace is so important? Look at Leicester's CBs from this season as well. Huth is a rock. And Morgan isn't any Speedy Gonzales either.
Pace is a bonus, but I wouldn't really call it important. The mind is the most important attribute of a defender.

Rio is one of the fastest cbs to ever play football.... Vidic wasn't, but Rio was an ideal cb physically with pace, height and power...

leicester played conservative counter attacking football, not our football and not what most bigger teams play... He did well because they essentially gave no opportunities to opposing teams to expose their lack of speed
Thiagoalcantara
I post all the time

Postby pyrasur » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:19 am

#12 wrote:
pyrasur wrote:Actually I must commend you for your knowledge of American slang. I checked urban dictionary and in fact a homer is apparently someone who shows blind loyalty.

For some reason I felt the reference to a Greek heroic poet was supposed to be an insult, I just didn't understand how.

I was thinking Image

There's better defenders than Hummels... Silva is not one of them... There are few CBs with better playmaking ability - including Boateng... Which is why overall there are few CBs close to Hummels' class...
Boateng and Hummels, Javi or Renato in front if them... Looks pretty much like a textbook defense...

Welp, that would be more logical than a reference to the Iliad. Just goes to show why I lack the imagination to dream up these scenarios of Varane being a better CB than Hummels :/
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ottackon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Ancelotti has asked Bayern to bring Varane according to Le Parisien

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/le-baye ... 923449.php
ottackon
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:13 pm

ottackon wrote:Ancelotti has asked Bayern to bring Varane according to Le Parisien

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/le-baye ... 923449.php

as the article states he will be in the same situation as he is in Madrid : third choice. So he'd rather stays put since both Pepe and Ramos are not getting any younger.
And Imo €40 is very expensive.
We shall not forget that he is an injury prone athlete as well.

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Transfer Rumours & News