You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Rumours and news about the transfer market. Who are FC Bayern attempting to sign? Who's going to leave? Find it all here.
 

How do you rate FC Bayern's summer transfer window?

Excellent, one of the best ever!
1
3%
Great
4
14%
Very good but not great
6
21%
Decent
7
24%
Average
5
17%
Below average
1
3%
Very bad but not terrible
3
10%
Terrible
1
3%
Catastrophical, one of the worst ever!
1
3%
 
Total votes : 29

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby walter » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:09 pm

User avatar
walter
I post all the time
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 2388
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Texas, US
National Flag:
Venezuela
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 309 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby MUTU » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:26 pm

aterford wrote:Overall, pretty decent. Tolisso is a great transfer in isolation though I'm not sure was a "need" right now. Süle was a great pickup. Rudy again is a good transfer but also not sure if he was a "need" either. Gnabry is relatively low-risk, but obviously not here at the moment. Making Coman permanent (does that count?) was great. James is a good pickup and I'm overall pleased, but I'll have to see him play for us more to get a better idea.

I don't know how many of you guys follow the NFL very well. But when drafting players in the NFL there is basically two schools of thought: draft according to need, or draft according to "best available". The "for need" school of thought says if you need a running back, you draft a running back. The "best available" school says you might need to draft a running back, but if there's a quarterback available for you to take who's a better overall player, you get him instead.

That is kinda how I feel Bayern's transfer window has went. IMO, our biggest needs were a backup CF, a left winger, and a CB. We addressed CB, but it feels like we went "best available" on the other two areas. Tolisso wasn't an express need and Rudy wasn't either. Same case with James, I think. But all three of them were likely the best guys we could get that met our criteria. I think with Tolisso the management made a smart move and even if we don't need him ASAP, we had the chance to make a good deal so we bought anyways. Rudy, he was free so of course we took, easy. James - might not have been the best fit, but depending on how much the club was willing to spend (or what system Ancelotti wants to play - blech) he may have been the best player we could get.
Gnabry of course checks a need IF he's here - but he's not, so the verdict is kinda out there.

I hope I don't sound too pessimistic. Overall it was a good window, but I would've liked to have seen us do something to address LW and CF, or at least not send out Gnabry...

Beautiful post. I'm with the "for need" school though, so I really didn't like the transfer window. In fact, I voted "terrible" in the poll. Our top priorities were a LW and CF as you said, and we did sign a player who can do both, but immediately loaned him out which was frustrating. The final nail in the coffin came when we reduced a LW (Costa). I feel like some signings were surplus to requirements, almost like as if we signed Courtois as second keeper. We are extremely thin in a department where most substitutions are traditionally carried out, but we don't have enough resources to effectively do substitutions in attack.

What I wanted:
ST, LW, RB (with Kimmich in midfield)

What happened:
CD, CDM, CM, AMC
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 32013
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 5690 times
Been thanked: 8471 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby aterford » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:14 pm

For me, it really feels like Carlo wanted to play 4-3-3 last year but didn't feel he had the personnel for it and begrudgingly played more 4-2-3-1 down the stretch. Now, it seems as though he is deadset on playing his 4-3-3 (or 4-4-2 maybe? Functionally quite similar under Ancelotti) and as such instructed the club to get him the proper personnel to do so.
I, among many others, am still a big proponent of the 4-2-3-1 at FCB, but if you look at our squad top to bottom it now really feels like our roster was designed to play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. I hope that is not the case, but that certainly seems to be the way we bought/sold in this window.
User avatar
aterford
I post all the time
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 1671
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:40 am
Has thanked: 1469 times
Been thanked: 899 times
Gender: Male

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby YlonenXabi » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 pm

Yes, it looks designed to play 4-3-3

Problem is that Carlo himself said we will be playing 4-2-3-1 two months ago IIRC :x
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
User avatar
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 8959
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:53 am
Location: Sydney
National Flag:
Spain
Has thanked: 1870 times
Been thanked: 1868 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby Achilles » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:48 am

aterford wrote:I hope I don't sound too pessimistic. Overall it was a good window, but I would've liked to have seen us do something to address LW and CF, or at least not send out Gnabry...

No you don't sound pessimistic at all matter of fact you you were spot on IMO. Thing is that we didn't sign any player that would make us much better, you know an established world class player. We have been decent and aimed for the future with solid solutions, even the Renato loan was very smart and might become very beneficial for all sides(including Swansea) definitely an upgrade from being a constant sub.

Huge mistake we didn't sign a anti-Ribery or an equal to compete. Mistake that we didn't sign a back up striker but here comes the riddle, which decent striker would come for 10 games? Besides that two positions I think we did good but not excellent, personally the MGT didn't reach my expectations in this transfer window, I was expecting some serious reinforcement something like A.Sanchez for example or that kind of quality, a regular starter... It seems that we're going with almost the same starting XI as the previous years if not downgraded.
Mia san mia
User avatar
Achilles
I post all the time
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 2162
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:36 am
Has thanked: 614 times
Been thanked: 1249 times
Gender: Male

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby YlonenXabi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:42 pm

*moved
Last edited by YlonenXabi on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
User avatar
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 8959
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:53 am
Location: Sydney
National Flag:
Spain
Has thanked: 1870 times
Been thanked: 1868 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby FCB12Forever » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:05 am

aterford wrote:That is kinda how I feel Bayern's transfer window has went. IMO, our biggest needs were a backup CF, a left winger, and a CB. We addressed CB, but it feels like we went "best available" on the other two areas. Tolisso wasn't an express need and Rudy wasn't either. Same case with James, I think. But all three of them were likely the best guys we could get that met our criteria. I think with Tolisso the management made a smart move and even if we don't need him ASAP, we had the chance to make a good deal so we bought anyways. Rudy, he was free so of course we took, easy. James - might not have been the best fit, but depending on how much the club was willing to spend (or what system Ancelotti wants to play - blech) he may have been the best player we could get.
Gnabry of course checks a need IF he's here - but he's not, so the verdict is kinda out there.

I hope I don't sound too pessimistic. Overall it was a good window, but I would've liked to have seen us do something to address LW and CF, or at least not send out Gnabry...


You don't get optimal solutions all the time. Sub-optimal solutions are what happens most of the time. Sanchez just doesn't like us, you can't abduct him to play for us. Backup CF? We asked help from Sandro Wagner, the answer was "no", he'd rather play starting XI for Hoffe than sitting on the bench for 95% of the time. Asked help from Mario Gomez, he said "no", die Mannschaft still needs a super Mario that regularly starts at the World Cup. Rumors also pointed to Olivier Giroud, which is a joke from his POV: why would I willingly ruin my ticket to Russia playing Lewy's minion? Nils Petersen was the only one who said like "whenever Bayern needs me I am there". Gosh, you can't even start for Freiburg, Niederlechner sits in that spot.

Let's see how we addressed similiar problem a few years ago: as a start we bought Mario Gomez for Makaay, which is as good or even better; then we bought Mario Mandzukic who proved to be just as good or even better than our 'El Torero'. We had the selfless help from our veteran striker Claudio Pizarro, who nailed Juve's coffin in the '13 treble season. Key is you have to buy someone better or at least as good as your current starting CF, or have someone willingly help. In our current case we have to go at least for Suarez or Mbappe since there are only a handful of strikers on this planet that is better or as good as Lewy. I see Mario Gomez as the only option out there so far, who is a veteran striker, and most likely willing to selflessly lend a hand. Albeit, his return to the Allianz Arena will likely to be after the World Cup in Russia.
User avatar
FCB12Forever
Yeah, now I'm talking!
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:26 am
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 66 times
Gender: Male

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby aterford » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:55 am

FCB12Forever wrote:
aterford wrote:That is kinda how I feel Bayern's transfer window has went. IMO, our biggest needs were a backup CF, a left winger, and a CB. We addressed CB, but it feels like we went "best available" on the other two areas. Tolisso wasn't an express need and Rudy wasn't either. Same case with James, I think. But all three of them were likely the best guys we could get that met our criteria. I think with Tolisso the management made a smart move and even if we don't need him ASAP, we had the chance to make a good deal so we bought anyways. Rudy, he was free so of course we took, easy. James - might not have been the best fit, but depending on how much the club was willing to spend (or what system Ancelotti wants to play - blech) he may have been the best player we could get.
Gnabry of course checks a need IF he's here - but he's not, so the verdict is kinda out there.

I hope I don't sound too pessimistic. Overall it was a good window, but I would've liked to have seen us do something to address LW and CF, or at least not send out Gnabry...


You don't get optimal solutions all the time. Sub-optimal solutions are what happens most of the time. Sanchez just doesn't like us, you can't abduct him to play for us. Backup CF? We asked help from Sandro Wagner, the answer was "no", he'd rather play starting XI for Hoffe than sitting on the bench for 95% of the time. Asked help from Mario Gomez, he said "no", die Mannschaft still needs a super Mario that regularly starts at the World Cup. Rumors also pointed to Olivier Giroud, which is a joke from his POV: why would I willingly ruin my ticket to Russia playing Lewy's minion? Nils Petersen was the only one who said like "whenever Bayern needs me I am there". Gosh, you can't even start for Freiburg, Niederlechner sits in that spot.

Let's see how we addressed similiar problem a few years ago: as a start we bought Mario Gomez for Makaay, which is as good or even better; then we bought Mario Mandzukic who proved to be just as good or even better than our 'El Torero'. We had the selfless help from our veteran striker Claudio Pizarro, who nailed Juve's coffin in the '13 treble season. Key is you have to buy someone better or at least as good as your current starting CF, or have someone willingly help. In our current case we have to go at least for Suarez or Mbappe since there are only a handful of strikers on this planet that is better or as good as Lewy. I see Mario Gomez as the only option out there so far, who is a veteran striker, and most likely willing to selflessly lend a hand. Albeit, his return to the Allianz Arena will likely to be after the World Cup in Russia.


Easy now. I don't recall saying anything about Sanchez....and I'm not buying the idea that there is nobody quality who would come play backup. Talk to MUTU about it.....every other halfway relevant team in Europe has been able to find a decent backup striker, but for some reason we believe that Lewandowski's ego is too fragile to have competition or something. Villareal went out and added Carlos Bacca on loan, even though they already had two other CFs. I'm confused by the notion that "you have to buy someone better or at least as good as your current starting CF, or have someone willingly help." It's a backup for a reason. We have no reason to add someone as good or better than Lewy...but we literally have nobody. Like I said, even keeping Gnabry would've been preferable. I love Müller, but he is awful as a striker. Pizza is without contract...I know he's old, but I'm still certain he'd do better at CF for 5 games a year than Müller.
Frankly, I don't think it's a matter of us asking people and them just saying no. I think we simply haven't tried that hard. Whether it's because we feel we don't need it (recent interviews with managers/management would suggest this), we don't want to upset Lewy, etc....I think if we had really, really tried to go out and get a backup CF we would have one. The fact that we had a potential one in Gnabry and sent him away just makes it seem like we don't think we need a backup.
User avatar
aterford
I post all the time
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 1671
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:40 am
Has thanked: 1469 times
Been thanked: 899 times
Gender: Male

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby FCB12Forever » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:49 am

aterford wrote:
Easy now. I don't recall saying anything about Sanchez....and I'm not buying the idea that there is nobody quality who would come play backup. Talk to MUTU about it.....every other halfway relevant team in Europe has been able to find a decent backup striker, but for some reason we believe that Lewandowski's ego is too fragile to have competition or something. Villareal went out and added Carlos Bacca on loan, even though they already had two other CFs. I'm confused by the notion that "you have to buy someone better or at least as good as your current starting CF, or have someone willingly help." It's a backup for a reason. We have no reason to add someone as good or better than Lewy...but we literally have nobody. Like I said, even keeping Gnabry would've been preferable. I love Müller, but he is awful as a striker. Pizza is without contract...I know he's old, but I'm still certain he'd do better at CF for 5 games a year than Müller.
Frankly, I don't think it's a matter of us asking people and them just saying no. I think we simply haven't tried that hard. Whether it's because we feel we don't need it (recent interviews with managers/management would suggest this), we don't want to upset Lewy, etc....I think if we had really, really tried to go out and get a backup CF we would have one. The fact that we had a potential one in Gnabry and sent him away just makes it seem like we don't think we need a backup.


Sorry if I sounded like a way that made you feel uneasy... Yes you may be right, there might be choices, but we don't know what happened behind thte scenes: you mentioned Bacca, but we will never know if Bayern made a bid on him - Bayern are good at keeping things secret. Lewy's personality might be part of the problem - true.
User avatar
FCB12Forever
Yeah, now I'm talking!
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:26 am
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 66 times
Gender: Male

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby prasun77 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Here in Asia they conducted 1 poll..Who is the best bayern signing of 2016/17..(including Coman)
Results:(Out of 255)
James:144(including me)
Sule+Rudy:65
Tolisso:31
Coman:(better not write it!) :lol: :lol:

Anyways this was a very small sample.What do you guys think?
This result was not on impact produced till now in the 2-3 games but who will have a bigger medium term impact(next 1-2 seasons).
Bayernaholic!
User avatar
prasun77
I'm a post king!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 3171
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:03 pm
Location: India
National Flag:
India
Has thanked: 702 times
Been thanked: 1125 times
Gender: Male

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby #12 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Why are Süle and Rudy combined?
If Coman keeps up his recent attitude and displays, he may very well surprise...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
User avatar
#12
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 9355
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 1:31 pm
National Flag:
Germany
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 2560 times
Gender: Male

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby Roonzil » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 pm

#12 wrote:Why are Süle and Rudy combined?
If Coman keeps up his recent attitude and displays, he may very well surprise...


They were buy one, get one free... :coffee:
She’s beauty, she’s grace, if u tell her she only watches football for the attractive players she’ll punch u in the face.

Image
Total ho for Thiago :P
User avatar
Roonzil
I post all the time
 
Years of membership
 
Posts: 2421
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:54 pm
National Flag:
Netherlands
Has thanked: 246 times
Been thanked: 1401 times
Gender: Female

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby IsiahRashad » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:14 am

Top 5 most valuable teams in the World before 17/18 summer transfers (per transfermarkt):

1.Real Madrid
2.Barcelona
3.Bayern
4.Manchester City
5.Chelsea

After 17/18 transfers:

1.Real Madrid
2.Barcelona
3.Chelsea
4.Manchester City
5.Bayern
Image Image
User avatar
IsiahRashad
I'm a post king!
 
Years of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 pm
National Flag:
Bulgaria
Has thanked: 1399 times
Been thanked: 1197 times
Gender: Male

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby #12 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:02 am

Only the beginning...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
User avatar
#12
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 9355
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 1:31 pm
National Flag:
Germany
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 2560 times
Gender: Male

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby YlonenXabi » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:28 pm

No PSG?
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
User avatar
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 8959
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:53 am
Location: Sydney
National Flag:
Spain
Has thanked: 1870 times
Been thanked: 1868 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Transfer Rumours & News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Element, FlipboardProxy [bot], Twitterbot [bot] and 38 guests