You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Rumours and news about the transfer market. Who are FC Bayern attempting to sign? Who's going to leave? Find it all here.

How do you rate FC Bayern's summer transfer window?

Excellent, one of the best ever!
3%
Great
14%
Very good but not great
21%
Decent
24%
Average
17%
Below average
3%
Very bad but not terrible
10%
Terrible
3%
Catastrophical, one of the worst ever!
3%

Total votes : 29

Re: 2017/18 Generic Transfer Thread

Postby #12 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:25 am

And rightfully so... We don't need every crap player out there
2014 has been 3 years - one decent tournament does not make a Bayern player...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby bastos80 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:24 am

1911 wrote:I know most will disagree, but if we can't get a WC winger in this window, I'd love to get Schurrle as a back up. Never had a problem scoring for the national team and became a great impact sub. That's something we could use when chasing a game.

Surely is trash.
Never been any good since he moved to Chelsea and way to expensive for an impact sub, which he usually fails to be either.

lol @me spelling "Schürrle" as "surely".
Last edited by bastos80 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apparently Hater of German Players #1
bastos80

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby nm462272 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:14 am

Schürrle can't even get a look at Dortmund... no way he has the quality to play at Bayern
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby bastos80 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Judging by Kalle's comments about transfer rumours and Gnabry, it sounds like we still want to do something.
bastos80

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Firefox1234 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:59 pm

prasun77 wrote:How many of you think a winger could still come?
We aren't being linked with anybody but that still leaves us with 3 possibilities:
1.Surprise signing.
2.Gnabry to replace costa.(Highly unlikely..Board has lost the plot but certainly not its head.)
3.Muller will take over Costa's role.(This is what I think Carlo is planning,though I personally don't want it.)

I don't know about you but it's July 10th where I am, just sit back and trust the process
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby bastos80 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm

We just need James this window, Goretzka on a free next and Renato to develop adequatly and we're set in midfield for a long time.
If Renato doesn't improve, sell him and try everything for Keita.
Rafinha can extend or we move Rudy to RB-back up. We brought Süle in this year and are set in defense for the next 3-4 years as well.

That means next transfer window, we can spend everything we have available for a Robben succesor.
bastos80

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Nemtar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:15 pm

bastos80 wrote:We just need James this window, Goretzka on a free next and Renato to develop adequatly and we're set in midfield for a long time.
Rafinha can extend or we move Rudy to RB-back up. We brought Süle in this year and are set in defense for the next 3-4 years as well.

That means next transfer window, we can spend everything we have available for a Robben succesor.

Totally agre with all your ideas. Imagine this project in hands of Nagelsmann? =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
Mia San Mia!
Nemtar
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
Germany

Postby bastos80 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Nemtar wrote:
bastos80 wrote:We just need James this window, Goretzka on a free next and Renato to develop adequatly and we're set in midfield for a long time.

Totally agre with all your ideas. Imagine this project in hands of Nagelsmann? =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

If you look at it a bit more than only on the surface, our transfer activities are really indicating a good future.
With the right coach it's going to be great. :D

However, we still need a reinforcement this window. James would be that.
bastos80

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Irish Connection » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi Guys, new member from Ireland.
Going to post my general views on a few topics in this thread just this once. hope thats ok
James - think he would be a great signing. anyone that once cost near 100m can definitely offer something to this team, he would probably be the most high profile signing we have ever made. Not to sure about his ability to play on the left but maybe our attack could constantly interchange positions to make it work. ie 4231 with Robben muller James constantly interchanging would be pretty lethal in my opinion
Sanchez - Please no to old and to expensive - but i sense this topic is off the table anyway
Brandt - Very much hope he comes and would like him here sooner rather than later. Props to Manchu on the great post about him in his thread. I would hate to see us lose out on him because i think he could be a future german star. Plus i think having a core of german players is what Bayern has always been about (something that went missing recently). he also seems like a kid with his head in the right place.
Goretzka - Same goes, young and german, reminds me of Ballack.
Sanches - Man I hope this guy develops into a superstar (maybe a loan would be best). I saw him play against Darmstadt this year and my god he was terrible

On another note i am a firm believer of giving our young players more game time, I was annoyed to see Ancelotti give them so little time. I feel like with Sule, Kimmich, Sanches and Coman (Hopefully Brandt and Goretzka) we would have a young group of core players with the potential to one day bring us back all the way to the top if they were given the minutes to develop. Even if this cost us in the short run.

Formation with no new transfers
-4231- Neuer Alaba Hummels Sule Kimmich - Tolliso Javi Muller - Coman Lewandowski Robben
Irish Connection
Hey, I'm new here!

Postby Pelin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:03 am

if we sign James, it will be for RW, not for midfield btw. As far as l remember he played at RW for Monaco, for Porto as well.
Pelin
I post all the time

Years of membership

Postby Firefox1234 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:40 am

How a transfer works [source]

The summer transfer window has become a frenzy of excitement and impatience, a three-month stretch where titles and survival can be decided before a ball is kicked.

But the business of transfer dealings remains out of reach for fans, a guessing game where transparency is close to nothing.

So, how does it work?

From the scouting to the signing, we take you through the anatomy of a transfer, told by those on the inside...

The scouting

A manager's success can hinge on his scouts, and the process is not taken lightly. While the time between an approach for a player and him signing can be days, everything that goes before can take months, even years.

"Scouts are out there in all weathers, at all times,” says Michael Calvin, author of The Nowhere Men, the story of football’s talent spotters. "The ones at 1am driving down the M1 with a pork pie in one hand and the wheel in the other. They get 40p a mile, that’s all."

Speaking on The Footballers' Football Show in 2013, Calvin revealed how David Moyes would want 50 lengthy reports on top targets written between 10 and 12 scouts while at Everton.

"Moyes has what he calls his 'MOT checklist' which is up to about 12 criteria for each position in an optimum situation," Calvin said. "He has around about 5,000 reports on about 1,000 players."

A game of Football Manager this is not. Footballing ability comes first but is sometimes only half the reason a player is approached, and scouts have been known to bin a recommendation purely on poor body language in a warm-up or when celebrating a goal.

Karl Robinson told Sky Bet’s Art of Scouting series: "There's no good scout who has only watched 10 games and knows what they're doing, I can promise you that.

"I trust them myself to do the large parts of it, and I just go to the end and hopefully tick the boxes."

A Premier League club will have around 10 to 15 scouts in total, but a chief scout's bond with the manager will be as strong as any at the club during transfer activity, a clear shared vision of what they are looking for, the same common goal.

Thousands of miles, thousands of games, thousands not fitting the bill. Is there an easier way?

Most clubs use statistical databases parallel to a pool of scouts; Prozone, WyScout, Scout7, DataScout, even a souped-up version of Football Manager, but will computers ever fully replace pen, paper and a scout pass?

West Brom scout Mel Johnson told the Art of Scouting series: "You must go to games, you must have gut instinct, you cannot have that watching a game on a laptop, it is impossible."

Even camera views can influence perception, as Sky Sports’ Gary Neville explained to Graham Hunter in his Big Interview: "A lot of people watch the game, but don't see the game.

"When we do Monday Night Football, we use the boot room camera, the bird's-eye view of the pitch. That's how a manager would look at the game."

The enquiry

Scouts utilised, player targeted. What next? More digging. "We phone the manager and ask, we get a background on him, we phone an agent and find out what his personality is like," says Robinson.

The agent and the player will be aware of a club's interest long before an offer goes in; rarely in modern football does a bid surprise player and public in equal measure.

World in Motion agent James Lippett says: "The buying club will always want to know they have a chance of doing the deal, otherwise they will look stupid.

"The conversation with the agent usually goes: 1) What is the player going to cost? 2) How long is left on their contract? 3) What does the player want to earn? 4) What does he currently earn? and 5) What is their family and personal situation?"

Old-time visions of a club secretary receiving a letter-headed document from a fax machine with a money offer are wide of the mark, says Lippett.

"There will normally be three or four bids done very simply by e-mail," he adds. "The opening bid will be rejected in 99.9 per cent of cases. The second gets closer, and then one or two final bids. It's like a game of poker."

The player talks

Bid in, bid accepted: player Y nears club X. Except he is nowhere near.

Modern ‘personal terms’ are much more than salary, and even the slightest disagreement can throw a deal off.

While managers do the football talk, chiefs, owners and directors of football often do the money talk; the basics include wages, signing on fees, and bonuses such as wins, goals and clean sheets, but beyond that players and agents can demand anything and everything.

As of April, anyone can become an agent. Just pass with £500, go through an FA security check and you are registered. There are thought to be over 1,300 in the UK to account for around 4,000 professional players, but many new agents have no clients.

Newcomers hope for a slice of football's financial growth, but a diluted market means only the top 10 per cent earn big money, with the rest fighting for leftovers.

But for those facilitating regular, big deals, the role is rounded.

"What car is the player going to get?" says Lippett. "If a player moves from overseas, there could be a relocation allowance. But occasionally players will ask for help and advice for schooling and all sorts too."

A footballer's career is transient, and players and agents will understandably attempt to get the most out of clubs while being the aide for both club and client.

Barry Fry, director of football at Peterborough United, has another view.

"Agents' initial demands are outrageous," he says. "Some of the agents have never even seen their client kick a ball, which is a disgrace.

"They're not interested in their development, only in what they can get themselves [agents tend to take five per cent commission, though earlier this year new FIFA regulations recommended a three per cent cap].

"We say to players: 'You're not going to become a millionaire when you come to Peterborough, but you will when you leave us.' I think plenty of Premier League managers have said similar to players they are trying to sign."

That much-criticised opt for a giant leap over baby steps works for some players and not others. Arsenal's nurturing of then-teenage pair Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has been successful, yet many warned John Stones that he was better off at Everton.

The reality is often this: players back themselves to reach the top quickly, a trait that makes them 'young talent' in the first place.

According to Lippett, demands and ambition differ hugely depending on their success to date, and understandably so.

"If a player is successful and very wealthy already, the personal side is paramount," he says. "If the player hasn't had a break financially, or hasn't been successful, the finance can be the most important thing. The ambition and logistics can be secondary.

"Lots of players live in one city and travel hours to another city for training. A lot of footballers do lead quite solitary and lonely lives, you can find yourself moving overnight. That's the type of thing people don't really see."

The clauses and confirmation

Personal terms done, but there are still stumbling blocks. The release clause is now more a part of the footballing vocabulary than ever, but what is its purpose?

Take Pedro's reported former release clause of £135m at Barcelona before he moved to Chelsea, now £22m, or Fabian Delph's £8m getaway upon signing a new contract at Aston Villa before he moved to Manchester City. They are in place to protect the player, club, or both.

Beyond that, contract clauses can be weird and wonderful. Upon signing for Sunderland, Buzz Aldrin enthusiast and Swedish midfielder Stefan Schwarz was banned from going into space for safety reasons after one of his advisers got a place on a commercial flight to the outer atmosphere in 1999, while Harry Redknapp reportedly advised Crystal Palace to put a 'weight restriction clause' on Neil Ruddock in 2000.

Not straightforward, and neither is the medical. With more money comes a more rigorous process, but the aim is to identify a hidden injury or weakness that could turn a club's millions into a dormant squad player.

But players can fail a medical and get their move. Dominic Matteo signed for Leeds from Liverpool in 2000 for nearly £5m despite failing a medical, while Stuart Pearce told Sky Sports about a refreshing case involving one of his former players.

"We gave him a medical and the doctor said his ankles and knees were suspect, his groins weren't very good, blood tests not good, slight heart murmur.

"I said: 'Is there anything good you can say?' The doctor said: 'He's got a lovely set of teeth.'

"But he joined us and promised: 'If I'm not available, I won't get paid that week.' He backed himself and was rarely unfit. If all players did that, they'd be a lot fitter."

Medical done, and all that is left is to send the paperwork relating to the transfer to the competitions and FA before deadlines. Press release, social media and club shirt at the ready, and the player is signed.

Premier League clubs signed on average eight players during last summer's window. Repeating the above process eight times – the stalling, complications and rejections to boot – leaves little time for a mental recharge.

The riches are plentiful, the pressures even more so, and the managers and clubs who get recruitment right more often than not deserve huge credit. Playing the transfer market is not a game of pin the tail on the donkey.
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby aterford » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:23 am

Pelin wrote:if we sign James, it will be for RW, not for midfield btw. As far as l remember he played at RW for Monaco, for Porto as well.

Yes, this is true. Even this past season he had 10 appearances at RW and 12-13 in 2015/2016 season. So while at Madrid he's been playing just a little less than half of his matches at RW too. Consensus opinion is that James is way better at CAM than RW. Not sure the stats really bear this out though. Combined G+A per match at CAM is about 0.78 compared to 0.70 at RW. Further it's somewhere around 0.32 goals per match at CAM vs 0.35 goals/match at RW. He also has shown similar numbers at LW. When he's been playing on the wings it's almost always been in 4-2-3-1 (apparently our team's preferred system) or in 4-3-3 (Ancelotti's preference). I think it is safe to say he could cut it as a winger for us.
aterford
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby IsiahRashad » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Douglas Costa deal: €6m one year loan + €40m obligation to buy in 2018

James deal: €10m two year loan + €38m option to buy in 2019
Image Image
IsiahRashad
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Birthday

Postby Manchu » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 pm

aterford wrote:
Pelin wrote:if we sign James, it will be for RW, not for midfield btw. As far as l remember he played at RW for Monaco, for Porto as well.

Yes, this is true. Even this past season he had 10 appearances at RW and 12-13 in 2015/2016 season. So while at Madrid he's been playing just a little less than half of his matches at RW too. Consensus opinion is that James is way better at CAM than RW. Not sure the stats really bear this out though. Combined G+A per match at CAM is about 0.78 compared to 0.70 at RW. Further it's somewhere around 0.32 goals per match at CAM vs 0.35 goals/match at RW. He also has shown similar numbers at LW. When he's been playing on the wings it's almost always been in 4-2-3-1 (apparently our team's preferred system) or in 4-3-3 (Ancelotti's preference). I think it is safe to say he could cut it as a winger for us.

I'm convinced that Muller can play right wing anyways in a system that has a dedicated 10 and any attacking lineup combining Muller and James would actually be quite fluid in practice, even if we don't go wingerless.
Manchu
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Pelin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:06 pm

don't think if it will be the case. since, first off, Carlo stopped playing Müller at RW long time ago and never tried again after it. (don't tell me he had many assists there, nope, he had only 4 assists when he played at RW, 3 assists vs Bremen, who was non-existent in that game,1 assist vs Darmstadt, the pass for D.Costa's long range goal) Second off, we need balance and strong team defence, we didn't pay 41.5 m euros for Tolisso for nothing, after all, we need a strong midfield, who can control the game for 90 mins.
Pelin
I post all the time

Years of membership

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Transfer Rumours & News