You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Profitability of BayernForum.com

Do you have any suggestions for BayernForum.com? Any difficulties using the forum? Ask away!

Profitability of BayernForum.com

Postby MUTU » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:30 pm

To make up for the time, energy and money spent (registering the domains, hosting and advertising), I have decided to put up an advert on the top right of each page. I've chosen one which should not interfere much with the design.

If you would like to support the site, please consider placing a bet with our sponsor. You can find the list of available matches by clicking anywhere on the red top bar of the advert.

If this advertising does not generate enough money, I will consider using other forms of advertising, which perhaps would interfere a bit more. Please keep this in mind, and if you like the forum then try and do your part to help keep it alive.
Last edited by MUTU on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:01 am

I had to resort to Google ads, because bwin didn't seem to be doing well at all. Hopefully, this will.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:24 am

Ok, Google ads are not working at all. Does anyone have any suggestions? :?

You as a visitor of this forum, is there any type of advertising that would possibly interest you? I'm spending quite some money in advertising this forum, and so I'd like to cut down the expenses.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby kevh26 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:33 am

I know they're really annoying, but when I ran my website a few years ago, the most profitable were always the pop unders.... aside from that, amazon ads brought in quite a bit of revenue... they're keyword enabled, and will only display relevant items.

worth a look at least
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:39 am

Hmm, I'll check out Amazon ads.
Pop-unders or pop-ups are something I definitely will not implement though. They're very annoying, as you said, and I don't want this forum to become annoying. Also, popup blockers are killing the popup window market.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tracylynn » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:45 pm

I know this may sound stupid but I'm a member of a figure skating forum, yes, I do like figure skating. Anyway, they have a system where members can donate money to help run the board. Also, they have it where if you become a member by paying a yearly fee and with that you have access to areas that are locked to the non-paying members. You don't have to pay to become a member but you can if you want to. I was thinking you could do something like this but I don't know what area could be locked to non-paying members. I would think the video area would be the one that could be locked but with Bayern not liking YouTube then that might not be a good idea.

If members can contribute $5 then that can help. That's how much I pay to the figure skating site.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby dracus » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:03 pm

Actually it would be illegal to charge money against something which is copyrighted.If it is noticed by bayern officials,MUTU could be sent to jail
dracus
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:23 pm

dracus wrote:Actually it would be illegal to charge money against something which is copyrighted.If it is noticed by bayern officials,MUTU could be sent to jail

I was just using the video as an example as to an area that could be off limit to any non-paying member. Thinking about closely I don't think there really is anything that he could make off-limits since folks can get the results and other information quickly off the interent.

I think the best bet would be a contribution fund. I don't have a problem contributing in maintaining the board even though I'm a poor college student.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby Mirage » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:33 pm

Well there is Tracylynn's idea, but I'm not sure if all posters would be up for it.
I'm guessing the whole point of this board is that it's easy to find, and English-speaking, but it might come down to it that we have to move to one of those free forum servers. I've been on loads of those before and they're usually always fine. I don't think it will come to that though, but I'm just saying, it would work. We'd still get new members, though the forum would be harder to find.
Mirage
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby kevh26 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:22 pm

free forum servers lack the speed, security and reliability of paid servers... plus Mark would lose control over advertising content!
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:33 am

Yes, I'll never put it on free forum servers.
I thought about donations, but the thing is a few regulars might pay something now, but who's going to donate in a year's time? I need a source of regular incoming. Now if a number of you are into online betting, I could set up something so you'd bet through the website and I'd get some commission (and you don't lose anything), and that would work.

Maybe an idea for the future when (and if) it gets very popular is to sell Bayern merchandise. I'd make sure I'd give you very competitive prices, and that way's everyone is happy.

But donations... they feel like charity. And I don't need charity.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby dracus » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:25 pm

MUTU wrote:Yes, I'll never put it on free forum servers.
I thought about donations, but the thing is a few regulars might pay something now, but who's going to donate in a year's time? I need a source of regular incoming. Now if a number of you are into online betting, I could set up something so you'd bet through the website and I'd get some commission (and you don't lose anything), and that would work.

Maybe an idea for the future when (and if) it gets very popular is to sell Bayern merchandise. I'd make sure I'd give you very competitive prices, and that way's everyone is happy.

But donations... they feel like charity. And I don't need charity.

I think that instead of running this loss making website on donations,we should make it a profit making one so that one may not need to beg.
If i could know how forums such as this make money,i could figure out something.Selling of bayern merchandise is a nice idea
dracus
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby kevh26 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:04 pm

...ever thought about expanding it? say adding on a site with information and sources of news and gossip not normally available from the bayern official site (eurosport, skysports news etc)?

I'd be more than happy to help, might be kinda fun fore me I haven't built and ran a profit making site for about 3 years!

also, the online betting thing... I'd definately be up for that... you could even tie that in with tracylynn's suggestion of a paid member section, people who pay an annual subscription - say £5, have access to a section which then enables online betting, you get the commission from that too.. and from that you could have a forum pot where all of the free bets (like bookies such as william hill have... £20 free bets etc) go in and the members decide through voting what free bet they should put on... that can accumulate and so on until the end of year where if there's any extra it can be split out as an extra incentive
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:14 am

kevh26 wrote:...ever thought about expanding it? say adding on a site with information and sources of news and gossip not normally available from the bayern official site (eurosport, skysports news etc)?

I'd be more than happy to help, might be kinda fun fore me I haven't built and ran a profit making site for about 3 years!

I don't have time for this myself. If you want to team up and work on that yourself, you're more than welcome!

kevh26 wrote:also, the online betting thing... I'd definately be up for that... you could even tie that in with tracylynn's suggestion of a paid member section, people who pay an annual subscription - say £5, have access to a section which then enables online betting, you get the commission from that too.. and from that you could have a forum pot where all of the free bets (like bookies such as william hill have... £20 free bets etc) go in and the members decide through voting what free bet they should put on... that can accumulate and so on until the end of year where if there's any extra it can be split out as an extra incentive

I'll think about this :)
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Making BayernForum.com profitable

Postby MUTU » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:43 pm

I've been wondering what you people think of the adverts. Have you ever found any of them remotely interesting? BayernForum.com is unfortunately still operating at a loss, and I've been wondering if anything could help.

I found that Spam Arrest adverts work out well on another website that I have, so I may try to switch to them, but I'd like to know what you think.

You can help BayernForum.com maintain itself by using this service, which by the way is really good. It is really effective against spam. You can try it out for FREE as they offer a 30-day trial.

Try it out here for free!

Last edited by MUTU on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Next

Return to Suggestions & Support