You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

iPad 3 or laptop?

Do you have any suggestions for BayernForum.com? Any difficulties using the forum? Ask away!

iPad 3 or laptop?

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:10 pm

I have a question for the members who are into technology, although everyone else's opinion is most welcome.

What would you recommend between an iPad 3 and a laptop? When it comes to laptops, I'm referring to ones which can be bought for around the same price or cheaper than the iPad.

I'm pretty much your average user, and I would mostly be using it for communication, e-mail, internet and written documents (very important), music etc. I'm not that much into PC gaming, which I don't think is possible on an iPad, but I do play the occassional game. Also, the camera. Is an iPad camera that much of an advantage over a laptop's lack of it? Note that a camera can be very useful for me in my studies and for photos and videos in general, but my smartphone's 8 megapixel camera usually does the job, although it somtimes freezes. I've also heard praise for the iPad's book application. I don't know much about it but this could also be useful for me.

If you pick a laptop, any recommendations for laptops in the iPad's price range?
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: The "Could you help me?" Thread

Postby BayernLove » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:21 pm

I'd go for a laptop personally,easier to use and Ipads are oversized Iphones that can't make calls anyway.
I can't suggest a laptop to be honest since I'm just the casual user but you might as well get an Iphone if you go down the Apple route.
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 am

Well I am a casual user too, and you seem to prefer a laptop for that purpose. :)

What do the others think?
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:15 am

Personally, I would prefer a laptop. Ipads for me are more of an entertainment means than for work applications. I always prefer having a keyboard (and a mouse on standby) for work/study purposes. But, what kind of laptop can you get for a similar price, that I don't know. I would leave it for our tech people to answer, because I'm pretty much interested in getting a new laptop :P
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 am

MoFattal wrote:I would leave it for our tech people to answer, because I'm pretty much interested in getting a new laptop

Element better get his ass over here! :P
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Element » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:38 am

Hmmmm
Best Laptops in my opinion are HP laptops

Best price:specifications ratio are Toshiba and Acer
Stay away from Dell as they are relatively expensive and Sony because they are too expensive and quality is not great
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:41 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Element better get his ass over here!

Wow, it actually worked! :lol:

Thanks Element, I'll keep that in mind.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:47 am

IMHO paying 600/700 euros for a tablet is not worth it. Way overpriced. Paying that amount of money for a device with which you are limited in what you can do is not the best deal. I tried my friend's iPad 3. Yes it has that 2048 x1536p resolution which is great but it will not make that much of a difference when the game graphics are sh*t. Other advantages are that is light and more portable than a laptop. If you really want a tablet I think the best bet right now is the Google Nexus 7 tablet which costs $250 for the 16GB (which probably means 250 euros). Even though it is 'only' 7", 250 euro is a reasonable price for a tablet and makes it worth it. It has good reviews.

If you want to buy a laptop and want to play that occasional game I suggest a laptop with an AMD APU. Personally I've got a laptop with the A6-3400 which is a mid range model. Even though the CPU is not as powerful as an Intel CPU it has a better GPU than an Intel HD GPU unless you are buying a laptop with a discrete graphic card (which will cost more). It has a balance between the CPU and GPU. For your needs an i5 or i7 is not necessary. I can play FIFA or PES and other not so demanding games with ease. They can be easily overclocked and undervolted at the same time since they come with high stock voltages.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby BayernLove » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:11 pm

I had a shitty laptop I paid like 600 Jordanian Dinars (just under 690 euros). A "Packard Bell" I think. I first got it, it was awesome. It worked perfectly, everything clicked like it should (no pun intended). Then the keyboard got wet. (not in the way you'd expect) ( I used it in the bathroom, I do that, okay? That never happened before :evil: ). And finally I got the keyboard to work at the cost of the A button which I can still use but I have to press on the empty space under it. Anyway. For a long time, it worked, that was a bit off topic. It got a virus and crashed a while later. I found out the parent company was ACER :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Shittiest computer ever. I regretted not getting the HP one at the same price. DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR. BUY AN HP.
BayernLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:35 pm

I have some friends with Acers and they all seem to develop a fault after some time. Nothing major and they still work, but not something you'd want after paying so much money.

I've heard a lot of praise for Toshiba though, and Element thinks HP are great too.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby quaazi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:41 pm

BayernLove wrote:I had a shitty laptop I paid like 600 Jordanian Dinars (just under 690 euros). A "Packard Bell" I think. I first got it, it was awesome. It worked perfectly, everything clicked like it should (no pun intended). Then the keyboard got wet. (not in the way you'd expect) ( I used it in the bathroom, I do that, okay? That never happened before :evil: ). And finally I got the keyboard to work at the cost of the A button which I can still use but I have to press on the empty space under it. Anyway. For a long time, it worked, that was a bit off topic. It got a virus and crashed a while later. I found out the parent company was ACER :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Shittiest computer ever. I regretted not getting the HP one at the same price. DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR. BUY AN HP.

So you're faulting ACER because you got the keyboard wet and managed to get a virus on the computer, two problems that have nothing to do with the hardware manufactorer?
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby BayernLove » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:43 pm

QAs I said the wet keyboard is offtopic. The virus shows weakness in the system's security.
BayernLove

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby quaazi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:36 pm

A virus is a software issue, not a hardware one.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby MaCk0y » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:11 pm

I've got an Acer and surprisingly it didn't come with any crapware !! Now that's a great first impression but I cannot say that for every model. More surprisingly it came with Microsoft Security Essentials preinstalled, the one I use. No trial software, no applications you do not need that constantly run in the background.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:53 pm

MaCk0y wrote: No trial software

Now that is great :)
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Next

Return to Suggestions & Support