You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Computer problems

Do you have any suggestions for BayernForum.com? Any difficulties using the forum? Ask away!

Re: Computer problems

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:11 pm

I'll try that after making backups of all photos.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby AvatarX » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Some anti viruses have build in firewall. Try disabling both antivirus and firewall (and windows firewall) of your PC. Other devices in the same WiFi can connect to PC?
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:47 am

I don't know how to try to connect my phone (if you can even do that) but I did manage to connect it to my PS3.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:49 am

Your suggestion worked perfectly, thanks! Saved me hours of uploading to private accounts.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AvatarX » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:54 am

Glad I helped :)
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby theundead » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:38 pm

Long story short, I needed to install a secondary windows in one of my hard drive partitions to check for a certain hardware issue. Now that I have solved that hardware issue I want to delete that secondary windows, I uninstalled the OS from run/msconfig but the windows and program files folders are still taking up ~16 GB of storage. Normal delete stuff doesnt work. It asks for admin permission even though I am the only user and administrator of the PC in question. I have tried taking the ownership through the security tab in folder properties. I have also tinkered with getting permissions through run command and "takeown". No luck.

So how do I get around this? Formatting the partition? dont really want to copy files to the other partition but if nothing else works...

The primary OS is Win10. The secondary one was windows 7. Both 64bit.
theundead
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Pakistan

Postby Korab » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Try disk cleanup utility or login in safe mode and then try deleting. I would rename original directories first to something like trash and the proceed with deleting.
Korab
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby theundead » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:23 pm

Korab wrote:Try disk cleanup utility or login in safe mode and then try deleting

None of these worked either. The funny thing is, windows says that I need permission from the very user account that I am running right now #-o #-o #-o
theundead
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Pakistan

Postby MaCk0y » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:04 pm

What did you do exactly in the security tab ? Try this.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby theundead » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Well there were some users with permissions. I removed those and added my current username as the only user with full control.

here's a screenshot

This is the error. Note that I am logged in from DESK/Ali. DESK is the PC's name.

MaCk0y wrote:Try this.

Thanks for this. This thing solved my problem when i had a similar issue with my other computer. I hope this works. Thanks!
theundead
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Pakistan

Postby MaCk0y » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:37 pm

If it doesn't work, try to tick the option 'Replace all child object with inheritable permissions entries from this object.'
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby theundead » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:19 am

MaCk0y wrote:If it doesn't work, try to tick the option 'Replace all child object with inheritable permissions entries from this object.'

A combination of adding permissions, take ownership and "replace all child objects..." seems to be working fine. Thanks so much for the help. The ~16 gb taken up by these files was really making me go mad :P
theundead
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Pakistan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:19 am

Last night my Chrome browser randomly stopped working. Clicking on the taskbar button brought up the following error:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

If I used the right click --> open option instead, I got a blank black tab regardless of the URL I posted. I had one working tab, but attempting to open a new tab by right click on a link (for example a forum topic) brought up the same blank screen. Once I closed that tab, I could not use the browser at all.

Having shut down my PC before going to bed, it seems to be working normally now and I'm posting from it. However, I had already had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago where I had to open any new windows by right clicking on the taskbar (a normal left click brought up the same blank screen). I had fixed that by unpinning and repinning the browser. So I'm kind of expecting this to happen again eventually.

Any idea what could be causing this? It only happens with Google Chrome in particular.

I am on Windows 8.1
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:14 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Last night my Chrome browser randomly stopped working. Clicking on the taskbar button brought up the following error:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

If I used the right click --> open option instead, I got a blank black tab regardless of the URL I posted. I had one working tab, but attempting to open a new tab by right click on a link (for example a forum topic) brought up the same blank screen. Once I closed that tab, I could not use the browser at all.

Having shut down my PC before going to bed, it seems to be working normally now and I'm posting from it. However, I had already had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago where I had to open any new windows by right clicking on the taskbar (a normal left click brought up the same blank screen). I had fixed that by unpinning and repinning the browser. So I'm kind of expecting this to happen again eventually.

Any idea what could be causing this? It only happens with Google Chrome in particular.

I am on Windows 8.1

Try uninstalling and installing again. Also why have you not upgraded for free to Windows 10 yet?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:33 am

MUTU wrote:Try uninstalling and installing again. Also why have you not upgraded for free to Windows 10 yet?

I did that initially and it didn't work. Like I said it seems to have resolved itself now but it's frustrating when it happens.

I had upgraded to Windows 10 and it wouldn't let me save anything to the C: drive. Had looked it up on google and it was a common bug that affected some users, so I downgraded again. I don't know whether it's been fixed now, I haven't tried upgrading again because it took too long and since I'm working on my PC almost every day at the moment, I don't want to waste time doing it only to downgrade again.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Previous

Return to Suggestions & Support