You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Xabi Alonso [Xabier Alonso Olano]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

What do you think about Xabi Alonso's latest performances?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:37 am

He is great and should play every match
No votes
He is good for rotation
43%
He is good for a backup in an injury crisis
22%
I hope he's not extended and leaves in Summer
9%
I hope he's sold in January
No votes
I hope he retires today
26%

Total votes : 23

Re: Xabi Alonso [Xabier Alonso Olano]

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:52 pm

pyrasur wrote:Great player, but he should not be playing nearly as often as he does. Having him play once in a while to show the kids how its done, or at least what mistakes to avoid, is fine. But it's getting to the point that him playing all the time is killing the future. Please give me Hojbjerg or Kimmich there, at least against the Bundesliga teams at first this year.

Then if its their mistake we lose, at least we know it's down to inexperience. The question I have for other fans is if they would be prepared to see us drop potentially vital points in the Bundesliga if it means playing someone other than Xabi.

I think at this point, Xabi playing against a good aggressive-in-pressing team is a bigger risk than having a kid there. I'd rather have the kids playing than Xabi, even if we are going to lose a few points. But Pep should manage it by using Xabi as a proper impact sub who turns tight games around with a few touches of long pass class.
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:53 pm

pyrasur wrote:Great player, but he should not be playing nearly as often as he does. Having him play once in a while to show the kids how its done, or at least what mistakes to avoid, is fine. But it's getting to the point that him playing all the time is killing the future. Please give me Hojbjerg or Kimmich there, at least against the Bundesliga teams at first this year.

Then if its their mistake we lose, at least we know it's down to inexperience. The question I have for other fans is if they would be prepared to see us drop potentially vital points in the Bundesliga if it means playing someone other than Xabi.

We will drop them even if we play with alonso...
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:55 pm

I don't think any other player would cost us more, seriously... You can always carry one weakness... The coach has to kepp it at one and then we can even start with Gaudino there... ;)
I would agree and could live with defensive instability every now and then, if he had many actions on offense... But tbh all I see from him is slow motion, slow thinking and resulting yellow cards...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby albanian7 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:51 pm

Or we can get Lahm back to the CDM. He's slow, he's better at RB, we'll all curse and say Pep experiments and all that, he's physically weak, but during 2013/2014 he has been really solid in that position. He doesn't have Xabi's distribution, but he's defensively reliable. Kimmich looks talented and can start many BuLi matches, but honestly, I wouldn't be comfortable with him starting against a strong counter-attacking team. He needs more experience

That, of course, until Javi gets back and only if Pep wants to play Javi as a CB
albanian7
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby envagyokazapad » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:11 pm

We are putting ourselves into a strange illusion if we think Javi will return to play CM. He is more physical but doesn't have the ball distribution and vision of Alonso...I'm positive he'll either play CB or be deployed further up on the pitch much like Schweini. We may not like Alonso but Pep wants a player like him, and frankly other than Thiago I'm not sure we have anyone similar on the roster.

I think our only hope of not seeing Alonso is either Kimmich turning out really great very soon, or Pep dropping back Thiago to CM, and Vidal playing in a more advanced position with Javi/Rode/Hojbjerg/Götze/Müller whoever depending on what formation he chooses.
envagyokazapad
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:40 pm

envagyokazapad wrote:We are putting ourselves into a strange illusion if we think Javi will return to play CM. He is more physical but doesn't have the ball distribution and vision of Alonso...I'm positive he'll either play CB or be deployed further up on the pitch much like Schweini. We may not like Alonso but Pep wants a player like him, and frankly other than Thiago I'm not sure we have anyone similar on the roster.

I think our only hope of not seeing Alonso is either Kimmich turning out really great very soon, or Pep dropping back Thiago to CM, and Vidal playing in a more advanced position with Javi/Rode/Hojbjerg/Götze/Müller whoever depending on what formation he chooses.

Because the center CB in a 3-men defense is a DM. Bena-Javi-Boa,Alaba-Thiago-Vidal-Lahm is essentially the same as Alaba-Bena-Boa-Lahm,Javi-Thiago-Vidal.
PunkCapitalist

Postby albanian7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:30 am

PunkCapitalist wrote:
envagyokazapad wrote:We are putting ourselves into a strange illusion if we think Javi will return to play CM. He is more physical but doesn't have the ball distribution and vision of Alonso...I'm positive he'll either play CB or be deployed further up on the pitch much like Schweini. We may not like Alonso but Pep wants a player like him, and frankly other than Thiago I'm not sure we have anyone similar on the roster.

Because the center CB in a 3-men defense is a DM. Bena-Javi-Boa,Alaba-Thiago-Vidal-Lahm is essentially the same as Alaba-Bena-Boa-Lahm,Javi-Thiago-Vidal.

Pep just said it isn't Xabi's job to defend. Check the press conference
albanian7
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby zozon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:49 am

#12 wrote:And if he's already tired now - the excuse most often read here -

Stick your head out of your ass - that's NOT an excuse, but a fact and reality. If you didn't see it in the Ruckrunde, that's your fault.
pyrasur wrote:
It's shaped like a sword. Because that's how formations work. We will only be beaten if Atletico form a rock. We will beat them if they form paper tho.
zozon
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby albanian7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:01 am

zozon wrote:
#12 wrote:And if he's already tired now - the excuse most often read here -

Stick your head out of your ass - that's NOT an excuse, but a fact and reality. If you didn't see it in the Ruckrunde, that's your fault.

So he was tired in every preseason match he played, after he was on holiday for one month?
Uhm, okay
albanian7
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby zozon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:15 am

albanian7 wrote:So he was tired in every preseason match he played, after he was on holiday for one month?[/img]
Uhm, okay

So you are judging Alonso's fitness in the preseason??? Seriously??? Plus you said it yourself - one month of holiday.
What about Alaba, Thiago and some others? I dont see them shredding the pitch also.

That's what's preseason is - getting INTO form, not peaking into it :roll:
This is not some local club where you have to bust your ass off in preseason just to show the coach how good you are.
At this level of football its different (except for very young players).

Do you even watch other teams preseason games? Do you even see what fitness other non-Bayern players are presenting (exceptions are normal).
pyrasur wrote:
It's shaped like a sword. Because that's how formations work. We will only be beaten if Atletico form a rock. We will beat them if they form paper tho.
zozon
I post all the time

Postby albanian7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:11 am

No, I don't want other teams preseason games (I only watched the Chelsea Arsenal match)

When it comes to Xabi, it's NOT about fitness. I'm not saying he should run. I'm saying he should stop making mistakes left and right. Yes, everyone is getting into form, then why is Xabi the worst player on pitch?

I think I've made my opinion on Thiago clear

Alaba has played relatively well. But, he missed half of last season due to injury and he was playing in 5 different positions. He needs a couple of matches to get back to being the best LB in the world, ya know'

What is a mystery to me is why did Bernat play so poorly during the friendlies. Let's hope he picks up his form :)
albanian7
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:18 am

He looks nothing more than dead weight at this point, unfortunately. Maybe they see something from him in training but he has failed to translate it on the pitch for a while now and fans are impatient.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby endrity » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:52 am

If Javi ends up losing his spot in the team to Alonso, Pep will not make any new friends among the fans, that is clear.

You'd think we will end up playing Thiago-Vidal in midfield most of the time, hoping that they remain heathy. But Guardiola most likely will want to play with three in the middle. This means that Alonso will either take Javi's spot, or one of the forwards, most likley Ribery or Douglas Costa as we play a 4-3-3. That again will be a decision that Pep will have a hard time living up to.
endrity
I post all the time

Postby Dumbledore7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:21 am

There's absolutely no way that will happen, Alonso (and Benatia) was bought because Javi got injured.

And whether you call it a back four with 3 in the middle (one of them being the pivot) or a back three with the full backs pushed slightly forward, it makes not difference with regard to not only how we'll play (given Pep as coach), but also Javi's role. Clearing loose balls from defence as well as being the deepest playmaker, the modern anchor a la Busquets.

These are the variable formations, all of which would take shape at one point in an actual game given the situation, and I'm sure this is Pep's dream system. With Alonso's skillset this isn't possible (I'd rather Pep bench Alonso and try Kimmich or Hojbjerg instead of limitting his system to fit Alonso) so he gets stuck right in the middle of every transition because of his lack of pace and defensive sense. Javi is literally the best suited player on the planet for this role (Busquets, Matic and Mascherano could probably do this as well).
Dumbledore7
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby endrity » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:28 am

I'd love that team, though I think it still negates some of Javi's ability to chase and pressure players all over the pitch like he did to Iniesta in 2013. Worth mentioning that after an ACL surgery, we don't know yet if he can perform the role again. As you say, it makes very little difference if you call it a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

But I am really not convinced that this is Guardiola's plan. As you say, if that is the team you are preparing for than maybe give some of the other athletic midfielders a chance, it would be closer to the team's style when Javi returns.
endrity
I post all the time

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion