You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Thomas Müller

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Thomas Müller

Postby Manchu » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:40 pm

I don't completely agree with the conclusions of this article(it puts too much emphasis on Thiago as a trequartista when he has only 270 minutes and one assist there in the Bundesliga this season), but it seems to be on the right track. If a player who usually scores a lot isn't scoring, it's probably tactics instead of this mythical idea of "form." Moreover, it's very possible for a player to contribute greatly to the offense without ever touching the ball*, much less scoring a lot of goals.

Let me tell you a story. I play as a forward, although obviously not at anything close to a professional level. Anyways, one night I was playing and I just could not score. I throw away good chance after good chance, never coming close to scoring. My form was horrible and something was off about my shooting. The next night I go back out and play again and score 9 times, including several really incredible goals like successfully scoring volleys with my back toward goal and chipping the keeper from range on his nearpost. Form exists, but in my experience it's a profoundly temporary thing.

*Watch Mario Gotze's winning goal against Argentina, particularly from the perspective behind the halfway line, and look at what Muller is doing while Schurrle is making his run, and you will understand what I mean.
Manchu
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby pyrasur » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:43 am

I can see how tactical decisions might have affected his offensive output. Like Janker points out his role on the wing has probably led to him creating more opportunities for others this season while having the number of chances created for him reduced. I don't have the statistics for that, I'm just going to have to take people's word for it until I verify that myself.

I disagree strongly that form is just a temporary condition. From the time he missed the penalty against Atletico Madrid last year, his confidence looked like it really suffered and his performance dropped. Any high performance operator will go through tough periods. There is plenty of literature on performance psychology that goes into how doubt and overthinking technique affects even the best professionals in any arena, even if it's funny to laugh at Hamburg getting a psychologist to talk to the their team. I think that role on the right wing where Thomas doesn't get a lot of opportunities exacerbated his situation because it was difficult to get that self-affirmation.

Even if it was against Hamburg, I think it was a great thing that Thomas Müller got to have a key role in that match. I think he's picked it up since then.
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby JANCKER » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:23 am

I don't know how many penalties he used to score a year... he used to take all the penalties, not anymore because he became predictable and a bit insecure... add that to the equation. His role is different, you can see it in the heat map... he needs to play more centrally to score goals. IMO he's doing everything right... he just doesn't get a lot of chances like before. He doesn't have Robben's left foot to make them on his own... at least his crosses are better than Robben's. I don't know about the statistics but his crosses were always good from what I know. Team player, I don't remember him being selfish once...

'Muller spoiled us.' :P

Interesting when Muller's drought started, then some midfielders started scoring, like Vidal and Kimmich... I think Muller received different instructions and doesn't move on the same spaces as before. Just a thought. That extra midfielder could be harming him.

Last game's goal, a typical Muller goal.
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby pyrasur » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Disagree that he's been doing everything right, for me his performances have been frustrating. But it's Thomas Müller. I've seen what he's done before, and I know he's capable of getting out of a slump and being a difference maker for Bayern. He could go through a whole bad season and I would still laugh if Manchester United thought they could come for him if Thomas wanted to stay. They can take him when he's 35, past it, and is looking to get some paid vacation!

Robben, Lewy, Alonso, Lahm, Müller: they all go through bad periods. We can agree to disagree about Alonso, but look at Robben. Villain of 2012 and the hero in 2013. I was frustrated Müller missed that penalty against Atletico Madrid, but sh*t happens and what's important is that he picks himself up and keeps fighting. I like his attitude so far!
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby aterford » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:31 am

pyrasur wrote:Disagree that he's been doing everything right, for me his performances have been frustrating. But it's Thomas Müller. I've seen what he's done before, and I know he's capable of getting out of a slump and being a difference maker for Bayern. He could go through a whole bad season and I would still laugh if Manchester United thought they could come for him if Thomas wanted to stay. They can take him when he's 35, past it, and is looking to get some paid vacation!

Robben, Lewy, Alonso, Lahm, Müller: they all go through bad periods. We can agree to disagree about Alonso, but look at Robben. Villain of 2012 and the hero in 2013. I was frustrated Müller missed that penalty against Atletico Madrid, but sh*t happens and what's important is that he picks himself up and keeps fighting. I like his attitude so far!

Basically where I'm at. It's okay if he has a down season. Yes, he's getting assists but I think it should be quite plain to see that something is still off. And that's okay! Müller is a world-class player and has been for years. We all know this. He's not just going to suddenly fall off a cliff overnight. Players have bad seasons. It happens. He keeps trying every match; he'll recover eventually.
aterford
I post all the time

Postby JANCKER » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:55 am

.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby Thiagoalcantara » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:25 am

I would bet their was a strong correlation between Douglas Costa's decline last season and Muller's decline going hand and hand.
Thiagoalcantara
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby JANCKER » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:37 am

Him and Costa were our best players in the first half of last season...
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby Thiagoalcantara » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:45 am

Honestly, Muller + Lewandowski did well because Douglas Costa was a god in the first half of the season last year and probably the best player in EUROPE. When Costa started to come down to earth, that's when bayern started to have problems offensively, especially both Muller and lewandowski.....

I remember saying the same shit too last season that even though Muller and lewandowski was ripping them goals, it was DOUGlas Costa that was the best player on bayern....

Next season, if carlo decides to buy a n10 like James or Isco, they need to figure out what is going to happen with Muller. Being a supersub at this age shouldn't be an option for Muller.
Thiagoalcantara
I post all the time

Postby aterford » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:51 am

Thiagoalcantara wrote:Honestly, Muller + Lewandowski did well because Douglas Costa was a god in the first half of the season last year and probably the best player in EUROPE. When Costa started to come down to earth, that's when bayern started to have problems offensively, especially both Muller and lewandowski.....

I remember saying the same shit too last season that even though Muller and lewandowski was ripping them goals, it was DOUGlas Costa that was the best player on bayern....

Next season, if carlo decides to buy a n10 like James or Isco, they need to figure out what is going to happen with Muller. Being a supersub at this age shouldn't be an option for Muller.

I'd be kinda worried for Müller too as right now Thiago has been just as good playing behind the striker as in-form Müller was....Depends on who plays in midfield behind, but right now there's no reason to start Müller ahead of Thiago...
aterford
I post all the time

Postby JANCKER » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:08 am

If I was him, I'd take the horses and leave(or at least threaten to do so)... wondering if Bayern would let that ever happen. But he's not as bad as me...
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby Thiagoalcantara » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:13 am

If I was Muller, I consider going abroad.

Might be taboo here, but in pure football basis, him taking Griezmann role at Atletico might be something I look into, especially when Griezmann leaves(granted Simeone is still there).....
Thiagoalcantara
I post all the time

Postby Firefox1234 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Muller isn't going anywhere guys and hearing people talking like he is after one down season is truly shocking! This man has one blip season after scoring 20+ goals two seasons in a row and people are already talking like this?
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:Muller isn't going anywhere guys and hearing people talking like he is after one down season is truly shocking! This man has one blip season after scoring 20+ goals two seasons in a row and people are already talking like this?

Thiagoalcantara is talking like "this". The same guy that wants to bring Ballotelli, Yaya Toure in and thinks Cavani >>>>>> Lewy.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Postby Coman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Müller is a CF he should play instead of Lewandowski. Not with him.

Still, both are overrated. We should buy Cavani and Benzema.
Bayern 3-3-3-1 build-up under Heynckes :
Neuer - Boateng Hummels Thiago - Kimmich Vidal Alaba - Robben Müller James - Lewandowski
Neuer- Boateng Vidal Hummels- Kimmich Martinez Alaba- Robben James Ribéry- Lewandowski
Coman
I'm a post king!

Years of membership

National Flag:
International Atomic Energy Agency

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion