You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Thomas Müller

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Thomas Müller

Postby JANCKER » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:39 pm

.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby Firefox1234 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Lewa made some comments which eased a lot of my worries about Muller's form...as long as his teammates believe in him I know I won't stop
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby JANCKER » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:26 pm

Bayern Munich's Thomas Muller not 'self-destructive' over goal struggles [source]
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby JANCKER » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:26 pm

Muller's struggles not worrying Bayern Munich president Hoeness [source]
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby DRvad14 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:52 am

Thomas Muller talks to ESPN FC about his slump, Bayern Munich's struggles BY RAPHAEL HONIGSTEIN

Spoiler: show
Long after training has finished, Thomas Muller is still on the pitch at Saebener Strasse, practicing shots and headers in front of an empty net with the help of teammates Joshua Kimmich and Kingsley Coman. But there's a third, perhaps more important figure out there with the 27-year-old, offering advice and encouragement as Muller hones his finishing skills: Hermann Gerland.

Bayern Munich's assistant coach, 62, was Muller's mentor when the Germany international was a still-budding teenager in the second team, and he was the man who first recognised the gangly forward's potential. In 2009, Gerland pleaded with then-sporting director Uli Hoeness to turn down a €3 million offer for the 19-year-old from TSG Hoffenheim 1899.

"Uli, this guy scores goals," Gerland predicted. He'd soon be proven right.

Eight years and 156 goals for the first team later, Muller is going through an unprecedented lean spell that has the whole of German football worried. Four goals in 24 games in all competitions for Bayern in 2016-17 constitute his poorest return as a professional.

What's going on?

When Muller finally comes in from the icy cold to sit down with ESPN FC, there's little hint of a frustrated player at odds with himself. He is as relaxed as usual, joking with the camera crew and poking fun at his interlocutor's messy handwriting: "I couldn't read that," he says with a smile. Nevertheless, Muller admits that there's a degree of discontent in relation to the unconvincing team performances, despite the club's topping the table after eight wins in a row and being involved in all three main competitions."That's Bayern Munich for you," he says with a shrug. Maybe they're precisely top because of that perfectionist attitude, he adds. "We are not satisfied if we win in a game that doesn't feel like it was our game. We won the last three away games narrowly. They were tough games. You can search for reasons. Maybe it was the pitches. Right now, the weather isn't that good. But that's only a small part. We don't play the style we want to play. The ball isn't [moving around] the way we want to. We have a good mentality and very good players. But we want more -- more control."

Some of his teammates have explained the club's stuttering campaign, in terms of football played if not the results achieved, as a consequence of the players' and Carlo Ancelotti's still getting used to one another. But Muller disagrees.

"I don't think that's the problem," he says. "Everybody needs to look at the mirror and think why it doesn't work that well. I think it's more of a problem of the team than of individuals. We as players have to find the solution to be a team, to be more compact on the pitch. The distances between us are too big. We have problems with the second ball. Against Freiburg and Bremen, we had so much defending to do that we didn't create many chances."

Muller looked particularly out of sorts in those two nervy away wins. It was far from the fresh start he had vowed to make in very upbeat interviews during the winter break. Rather, it was more of the same old, enigmatic, poor run that followed his goalless outing at Euro 2016. He readily acknowledges that he has "few arguments" in his favour at the moment: "My [goal-scoring] stats are not the same as in recent years." But he does offer some context.

"When the team's not playing well offensively, it's always a problem for me because I'm not an individualistic player," Muller says. "I don't take the ball in the middle of the pitch and dribble past six guys. When our positioning and ball game and passing is not that good, then my game is struggling as well. I can score from set pieces and so on, but I have to be involved in the combinations, make my runs without the ball, go deep. When we find our game, play more balls on the ground, through the middle, and combine better, it's more comfortable for me as well."

He's hopeful that a return to the Allianz Arena after two games on bumpy pitches will see an immediate improvement and adds that the pressure he exerts on himself to succeed was "more objective" than that of the media, who often use one stat in isolation to prove a point. "If I only looked at my running, I should have scored 35 goals by now because I'm running more than last year," he says.Raw data aside, there's a view in Germany that Muller, a forward blessed with an instinctive feel for being in the right place at the right time, might be overthinking things. He shakes his head. "I don't think I think too much. I try to work hard, maybe a little harder than during spells when everything [feels easy]. I'm not negative. I try to think about the next chance, the next game, the next opportunity to play well. I try to have fun. I try to support my teammates, and I think about the game [itself], why I'm not in the right position at the right moment. But I can't influence everything on the pitch that would help me. I can't think about the other guys. I try to focus on my game and on the things that are important for the team. For myself, it would be nice to score a little more."

Not just for himself. In the absence of Muller's goals, Bayern have been forced to rely on moments of individual brilliance by Robert Lewandowski and Arjen Robben. It's a risky ploy, especially against better opposition in the Champions League. "We have to improve," Muller says. "It's not enough to believe that we will somehow find a way." Especially not against the familiar foe that comes in the shape of Arsenal, their opponents in the round of 16 in the Champions League. Bayern have always prevailed in knockout games against Arsene Wenger's men. But the perfect record hides some very close shaves.

"They're in good shape. They have very good players and a very good manager," Muller says. "They are feeling comfortable, but over the last few years, we have also felt comfortable -- after the games against Arsenal. I hope it'll be the same. It's always tough [against them], though." Muller recalls 15 difficult opening minutes in the first leg of the last-16 tie three years ago, in which Bayern were "under real pressure" until a penalty miss from Mesut Ozil changed the momentum. The Germans eventually won 2-0 at the Emirates.

"We also lost 2-0 at home against them [in 2013] after winning 3-1 in London. We were very close to getting knocked out then," Muller recalls. "Against these top teams, anything can happen. And usually, you see good football -- not so much defending and destruction. Both teams want the ball. Both want to play football."

Muller has been on the score sheet four times in six games against the Gunners, so there's cause for optimism. Could his and his team's season follow a different path this year than the three campaigns under Pep Guardiola that saw Bayern regularly peak before Christmas and fall away ever so slightly during the second half of the season? "Maybe it will work out that way. We don't know," Muller says. "But Carlo Ancelotti is Mr. Champions League, so the Bayern Munich crowd are very hopeful that it will be a special season."

If the Italian is to live up to that moniker, Muller must also remember his own nickname. The Bavarians need the self-appointed "Raumdeuter", the space interpreter, to find his path to goals again.
DRvad14
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby lau03143 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 am

I am not worried about Müller, players go though goal droughts.

If his team play and overall effort had dropped I'd be concerned, but it has not.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JANCKER » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:12 am

Bayern Munich star Thomas Muller reveals his rooting interest in Arsenal (Video) [source]

Question about Schweini: Did he ever let you know how he gets along with Jose Mourinho?
Muller: Yes, he did. But that's off the record. [laughs]
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby prasun77 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:46 pm

I must confess i felt the most joy seeing him score..i almost cried saying "finally!"
After a long time i remembered why i became a bayern fan..he really is mr.bayern..yes as somebody said..every bayern fan identifies with muller..
Bayernaholic!
prasun77
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby Firefox1234 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:51 pm

So happy that he scored! Showed the world class composure we expect from him and hopefully this is the first of many!
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby JANCKER » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 pm

If he plays centrally, he'll score... that's what happened when Lewa got out... got to play centrally.
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby Dumbledore7 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:56 pm

What a **** goal that was. Sent Oxlade-Chamberlain back to his Jamaican ancestors.
Dumbledore7
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby MUTU » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Welcome back!
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 pm

During big games (CL, EURO, WC) Element and I often comment on each other's posts on facebook. We usually suggest subs and they almost always turn out to be great choices.

Today I told him I got it wrong when Thiago scored because I was thinking that he should be replaced by Muller. And just a while later, there you go! :mrgreen: He was already good last weekend. Maybe he's finally back.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby lau03143 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 pm

Composed finish by Müller tonight. Let's hope that kick-starts his season!
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JANCKER » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:13 pm

It will be the same as before if he plays on the wing... needs to play behind Lewy then we will talk. He would have been better than Costa tonight even on the left wing.
Last edited by JANCKER on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion