You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Thiago Alcântara [Thiago Alcântara do Nascimento]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Thiago Alcântara [Thiago Alcântara do Nascimento]

Postby aterford » Tue May 16, 2017 3:39 pm

#12 wrote:You're kidding right?

"Faxen" is about the same as "shenanigans", so it's basically "they oughta stop the shenanigans"

That might make more sense then, as the spanish translation offered seemed to mean "cut out the silliness" or similar
aterford
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Roonzil » Tue May 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Point is: He may not have been born in Bavaria, but he sure embodies the Bayern mentality to the t.
She’s beauty, she’s grace, if u tell her she only watches football for the attractive players she’ll punch u in the face.

Total ho for Thiago :P
Roonzil
I post all the time

Years of membership

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue May 16, 2017 8:05 pm

#ThiagoRegista20172018

I'm starting the campaign.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:33 pm

aterford wrote:
#12 wrote:You're kidding right?

"Faxen" is about the same as "shenanigans", so it's basically "they oughta stop the shenanigans"

That might make more sense then, as the spanish translation offered seemed to mean "cut out the silliness" or similar

Yes... There was a scene at 4:2 I think when Leipzig tried to ridicule us by playing with one touch for about a minute or so without any effective gain of space... That's what this is referring to...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby tflags » Sat May 20, 2017 10:27 am

PunkCapitalist wrote:Thiago isn't a creative player either. He provides the occasional thorough-ball and over the defense pass, but it's just that... Occasional. His forte is deep distribution and ball-retention by dribbling. He IS NOT an attacker.

I just wrote he has a league high through ball rate and CL top 5 key pass record. He's the most talented midfield attacker in the league as just published by the Bundesliga website. Sorry, you must be kidding.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm

tflags wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:Thiago isn't a creative player either. He provides the occasional thorough-ball and over the defense pass, but it's just that... Occasional. His forte is deep distribution and ball-retention by dribbling. He IS NOT an attacker.

I just wrote he has a league high through ball rate and CL top 5 key pass record. He's the most talented midfield attacker in the league as just published by the Bundesliga website. Sorry, you must be kidding.

Well T. I don't see it. I love Thiago, as you well know, but I don't think he's a creative midfielder. I think he is better suited to DLPM.

I don't know about the statistics, but what I see is that the team is failing in creating chances through the center of the pitch in advanced positions. He does provide fantastic through balls from deep, though.

PunkCapitalist

Postby nm462272 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby MillaMjau » Tue May 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Das Runde muss ins Eckige!
MillaMjau
I post all the time

National Flag:
Finland

Postby Manchu » Fri May 26, 2017 5:00 am

tflags wrote:

The number of key passes doesn't prove very much about a player. In fact, I would argue that it's one of the worst statistics out there because this is a key pass and this is also a key pass.

Moreover, I'm curious about what source told you that he was top 5 CL for key passes in the first place. Going by whoscored statistics, he's 13th for the total number of key passes in the CL and 30th for the number of key passes within 90 minutes once everyone who played less than 180 minutes is discounted.

The rate of through balls is a more significant statistic, but I don't think it necessarily means what you think it means. With our current setup and tendency to play possession while the other team sits back, the players who are best positioned to play through passes are often those who sit deep like Hummels, Boateng, and Thiago playing as Regista. Thus, I suspect that Thiago was racking up through passes in plays like this. Thus, Thiago's great ability to find through passes is not a reason to play him as attacking mid but instead a reason to play him as defensive mid.

Of course, the best way to examine Thiago's ability as an attacking mid is to look at what goals and assists he has from that position. This season, he's had 5 goals and 4 assists playing as attacking mid in 979 minutes of play in all competitions. Those numbers are rather good on the face of things, but they don't necessarily reveal that he should be playing as attacking mid once examined closer.

First, 2 of the goals and 1 of the assists came on setpieces. I see no reason why Thiago cannot take corners or get in the box to score when he's playing regista and not attacking mid.

Second, 2 of the assists came off of circumstances when we won the ball very far forward through high pressing. Although Thiago might improve our high press when he plays far forward as attacking mid, he didn't actually win the ball in either of these cases. Instead, someone else(Vidal in the home game against the energy drink company and Kimmich and Muller in the home game against Arsenal) won the play and played it to Thiago, who then played it to an open player sitting in a lot of space who scored. Although high pressing is a valuable tool to have, it isn't quite as useful against teams who aren't Arsenal(seriously, I'm not sure that Arsene Wenger has even figured out that a high press is a thing, much less devised tactics to counter it) and are instead much more press-resistant. Thus, these assists don't serve as any sort of powerful reason to play Thiago as attacking mid.

Two more of Thiago's goals came off of goal poaching. Although I have nothing against goalpoaching in general and in fact believe that it is a powerful tool for a team to have, we do have another player on this team who is better at goalpoaching from attacking mid along with many other valuable and unique skills.

That leaves only 1 goal and 1 assist that does not fall into the above three categorizes. Of these, the goal came off of Lewandowski's wonder assist against Arsenal, and the assist occurred when Thiago passed to Douglas Costa far outside the box who took a long shot and scored after a lucky deflection in the home DFB Pokal game against Woflsburg.

Nowhere here do Thiago's "unique creative abilities" show up. Nowhere does he display incredible vision or tactical awareness while playing attacking mid. Nowhere does he pull off a wonder goal or dribble several players before scoring. In fact, in my personal opinion, he displays better vision when playing deeper and is better able to use his ability to dribble in order to find space to make dangerous passes. That, combined with his defensive ability and instinct for possession, make him one of the best registas in the world, if not the best. However, I remain unconvinced of his ability as trequartista, and we need him anyways deep in order to help protect our backline when we're playing another top club anyways.
Manchu
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby PunkCapitalist » Fri May 26, 2017 5:17 am

Manchu wrote:
tflags wrote:

The number of key passes doesn't prove very much about a player. In fact, I would argue that it's one of the worst statistics out there because this is a key pass and this is also a key pass.

Moreover, I'm curious about what source told you that he was top 5 CL for key passes in the first place. Going by whoscored statistics, he's 13th for the total number of key passes in the CL and 30th for the number of key passes within 90 minutes once everyone who played less than 180 minutes is discounted.

The rate of through balls is a more significant statistic, but I don't think it necessarily means what you think it means. With our current setup and tendency to play possession while the other team sits back, the players who are best positioned to play through passes are often those who sit deep like Hummels, Boateng, and Thiago playing as Regista. Thus, I suspect that Thiago was racking up through passes in plays like this. Thus, Thiago's great ability to find through passes is not a reason to play him as attacking mid but instead a reason to play him as defensive mid.

Of course, the best way to examine Thiago's ability as an attacking mid is to look at what goals and assists he has from that position. This season, he's had 5 goals and 4 assists playing as attacking mid in 979 minutes of play in all competitions. Those numbers are rather good on the face of things, but they don't necessarily reveal that he should be playing as attacking mid once examined closer.

First, 2 of the goals and 1 of the assists came on setpieces. I see no reason why Thiago cannot take corners or get in the box to score when he's playing regista and not attacking mid.

Second, 2 of the assists came off of circumstances when we won the ball very far forward through high pressing. Although Thiago might improve our high press when he plays far forward as attacking mid, he didn't actually win the ball in either of these cases. Instead, someone else(Vidal in the home game against the energy drink company and Kimmich and Muller in the home game against Arsenal) won the play and played it to Thiago, who then played it to an open player sitting in a lot of space who scored. Although high pressing is a valuable tool to have, it isn't quite as useful against teams who aren't Arsenal(seriously, I'm not sure that Arsene Wenger has even figured out that a high press is a thing, much less devised tactics to counter it) and are instead much more press-resistant. Thus, these assists don't serve as any sort of powerful reason to play Thiago as attacking mid.

Two more of Thiago's goals came off of goal poaching. Although I have nothing against goalpoaching in general and in fact believe that it is a powerful tool for a team to have, we do have another player on this team who is better at goalpoaching from attacking mid along with many other valuable and unique skills.

That leaves only 1 goal and 1 assist that does not fall into the above three categorizes. Of these, the goal came off of Lewandowski's wonder assist against Arsenal, and the assist occurred when Thiago passed to Douglas Costa far outside the box who took a long shot and scored after a lucky deflection in the home DFB Pokal game against Woflsburg.

Nowhere here do Thiago's "unique creative abilities" show up. Nowhere does he display incredible vision or tactical awareness while playing attacking mid. Nowhere does he pull off a wonder goal or dribble several players before scoring. In fact, in my personal opinion, he displays better vision when playing deeper and is better able to use his ability to dribble in order to find space to make dangerous passes. That, combined with his defensive ability and instinct for possession, make him one of the best registas in the world, if not the best. However, I remain unconvinced of his ability as trequartista, and we need him anyways deep in order to help protect our backline when we're playing another top club anyways.

Hahaha I love this guy [UPWARDS BLACK ARROW]

He always does lots of research for this forum.

PunkCapitalist

Postby tflags » Fri May 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Manchu wrote:Nowhere here do Thiago's "unique creative abilities" show up. Nowhere does he display incredible vision or tactical awareness while playing attacking mid. Nowhere does he pull off a wonder goal or dribble several players before scoring.

I'm just curious. So basically by this line of thought the only ability an advanced playmaker must have (thus neglecting its own denomination since you said key passes weren't at all important and throughballs must primarily come -for this team and formation - from an advanced CB line) is to dribble past several players. Funny, there I was thinking he had, other than Dembele (from memory) one of the highest dribbling statistics in the league.

I mean, going behind the centrebacks' backs is basically non-existent in your analysis and dribbling is the ONLY way to position yourself favourably inside the box? I'm just curious.
Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby tflags » Fri May 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Manchu wrote:Moreover, I'm curious about what source told you that he was top 5 CL for key passes in the first place.

Top 10 Key Passers, CL Group Stage last season:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby Effenberg777 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:04 pm

tflags wrote:
Manchu wrote:Moreover, I'm curious about what source told you that he was top 5 CL for key passes in the first place.

Isn;t HULK at Shanghai ?
Effenberg777
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
El Salvador

Postby aterford » Sat May 27, 2017 7:28 am

Effenberg777 wrote:
tflags wrote:

Isn;t HULK at Shanghai ?

see bolded ^
aterford
I post all the time

Postby zozon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:19 am

Just came home after watching Thiago play (first time live) for Spain vs Macedonia (we lost 1-2, they were in their best XI). He was so-so 8)

Silva + Isco are :shock: , especially Isco 8)
Also Ramos and Pique were warming up together, putting passes between them :lol: :lol: :lol: So funny after all those Twitter "feuds".
Carvajal is a rock.
pyrasur wrote:
It's shaped like a sword. Because that's how formations work. We will only be beaten if Atletico form a rock. We will beat them if they form paper tho.
zozon
I post all the time

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion