You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Similarities Between the 2001 CL winners and Now

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Which Side is the strongest

This one
30%
50%
20%

Total votes : 10

Similarities Between the 2001 CL winners and Now

Postby kevh26 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:03 pm

I was watching Champions League Classics yesterday on eurosport and it was the 2001 CL final against valencia... looking at the starting lineup, and what magath said he'd like to experiment with when ismael's back the teams are remarkebly similar (possibly with more quality now)

2001 Team

---------------------------Kahn---------------------------------

------------Kuffour------Andersson--------Linke---------------

Sagnol--------------------------------------------------Lizarazu

----------------Hargreaves----------Effenberg------------------

Scholl-----------------------------------------------Salihamidžić

-------------------------------Elber-------------------------------

2006 Team

-----------------------------Kahn----------------------------

--------------Lucio-----Van Buyten----Ismael-------------

Sagnol--------------------------------------------------Lahm

----------------Hargreaves----Van Bommel-----------------

Deisler----------------------------------------Schweinsteiger

------------------------Poldi/Pizarro--------------------------

Man for man except maybe up front, where we had better strength in depth with the likes of sergio, jancker and zickler on the bench, i think this team is the better and probably the best we've had in a long while.... I have to admit that i've been highly skeptical of our chances in the champions league this year, but now i've got a little more hope!
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:44 pm

Kahn in 2001 was better than the Kahn of today though, and Effenberg was miles better than Van Bommel.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby kevh26 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:46 pm

but to counter those, the centrebacks are much better, and hargreaves now, or even demichelis is better than the hargreaves in 2001.... plus, look at who was playing forward left, Brazzo, Schweini is much better in that position.
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:50 pm

I agree Khan on 2001 or even 1999 was better than Khan today. but when we look at the defence I guess Lucio, Van Buyten & Ismael are better and stronger than Kuffour, Andersson & Linke. and when it comes to our left-back I guess we`re in a safe hands with Lahm, he has fill-full Lizarazu`s place so well! and when it comes to the midfield I think it`s so unfair to compare Van Bommel to Effenberg! we`re talking about the Boss.. Effenberg was the best midfielder ever on the last 10 years, he was more than an organizer.. he was the heart of the team. even Ballack couldn`t do what Effenberg had done for the Bavarian. but we don`t wanna be so hard on Van Bommel, it`s his first season with us.. so, we have to wait and see. and I can`t say who`s better Scholl or Deisler! no one can ever deny Scholl`s skills. he was and still so great for the Bavarian. but I really Love Deisler! he`s my favourite player in Bayern`s squad! so, I`ll let you guys decide. finally, we have never have a problem when it comes to the forward positon! we have always got a great players like Elber or even now with Pizzaro, Makaay and Poldi! hopefully, we`ll win something this season.
I can`t say that 2001 was the better squad (even though they have a special part in my heart) but they have had a strong personality on the field it something we miss in our squad this season.. also, I guess Hitzfeld ( Sorry if I didn`t wirte the name right) was better than Magath (IMO) :|
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion