You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Samuel Kuffour [Samuel Osei-Kuffour]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Samuel Kuffour [Samuel Osei-Kuffour]

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:20 pm

A full kit consignment has been received from Bayern Munich for use at the historic testimonial match in honour of Samuel Osei-Kuffour.

The consignment which includes, match jerseys, camp attire, hoses, boots and balls is one of other contributions being made to honour the ex Ghana defender who spent 12 years playing for the German giants.

Kuffour will lead a world select side including; Daniel Amokachi, Samuel Eto’o, Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Patrick Mboma, Jay-Jay Okocha, Lothar Mattheus, Oliver Khan, Samuel Eto, Rigobert Song, Mohammed Kallon, Pablo Thiam amongst others against the Black Stars of Ghana.

The historic match will be played at Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi on December 23.

Meanwhile, tickets prices have been reviewed with the aim of making it affordable for many Ghanaians to patronize.

VIP tickets now goes for 30.00 Ghana cedis from the previous 50.00 while Center Line and Popular stands go for 7.00 and 4.00 Ghana ceids from the previous 10.00 and 5.00 Ghana cedis respectively.

Source: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/N ... ?ID=225877
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Samuel Kuffour [Samuel Osei-Kuffour]

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Football stars Lothar Matthäus and Andy Cole are among the star names who would arrive in the country on Thursday for Sammy Kuffour's testimonial in Kumasi on December 23.

The ex-Ghana international will be joined by a host of world renowned footballers as he bids his final farewell to the game after making his international debut in 1993.

Cameroon's Rigobert Song and Raymond Kalla, Daniel Amokachi and Jay-Jay Okocha from Nigeria and South African duo of Lucas Radebe and Mark Fish will also be on parade on Friday at the Baba Yara Stadium.

According to organisers, Sammy Kuffour will first line up for the 'Friends of Kuffour team' who will be spotting branded Bayern Munich shirts before swapping sides to wear the national jersey for the last time when he joins a select Black Stars team.

Kuffour will then carry with him the Ghana flag and take the final lap of honour in the last ten minutes of the match and will be joined by colleagues who would follow up with the flags of all the sides he played for during his sterling career.

Tickets range from GH 4:00 - Popular Stand, GH 7:00 - Centre Line and GH 30:00 - VIP.

A three-time Ghana Footballer of the Year, Kuffour, announced his retirement in September 2008 after a career spanning over a decade and having appeared at every tournament organized by FIFA; U-17, U-20, Olympics, World Cup as well as four appearances at the Africa Cup of Nations.

He spent a successful period with Bayen Munich from 1993 to 2005 and won everything there is in club football from the Bundesliga, UEFA Champions League and the Intercontinental Cup.

Kuffour was named by CAF as one of the 30 best African footballers of all time and was twice, 1999 and 2001, runner-up in the Africa footballer of the year award.

He featured for Torino, Bayern Munich, AS Roma, Livorno and Ajax during his playing career.

Source: http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/N ... ?ID=225918
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby dambun » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:47 pm

From shifting cannabis and exchanging his television for football boots to winning the Champions League - the incredible life & career of Bayern Munich legend Samuel Kuffour

From a distance, it is easy to conclude that Samuel Osei Kuffour is a haughty man. However, getting close to him brings forth a different picture. Apparently, the retired Ghana international has been aware of such a description throughout his career, but he maintains that it takes an extra effort to get to know him better.

“I’m not arrogant and everybody who knows me, the players who know me, know the type of person I am,” the Ghanaian football legend said on E TV’s Revealed programme.

Kuffour’s personality appears to be one which is easily misunderstood, after he discussed the subject on the show. For over an hour, the former Bayern Munich star spoke nonchalantly about his past life, misdeeds, achievements and the sad times. This was a massive departure from the 'controversial' tag that Kuffour had assumed over the years - someone with a fiery temper and not afraid to speak his mind to officialdom on issues affecting him.

The most famous, or perhaps infamous, incident was when Kuffour was expelled from the Black Stars' squad at the 2002 Africa Cup of Nations on disciplinary grounds for allegedly leaving camp without permission.

“It was really horrible," the ex-defender said. "You will be in a hotel where there is no shower in the room; you have to go and have your shower somewhere. You have to eat at the chop bar. You don’t even have one T-shirt to wear. For me it was not proper and perhaps it was good that I left the camp."

There appears to be a close link between Kuffour’s personality and his tough upbringing in Ash Town, a suburb of Kumasi, where he lived with his mother and three sisters. These were the four people who had the greatest influence on his early life, as Kuffour’s father lived in Canada at the time.

He admitted to having a very challenging early life, having engaged in several misdeeds in his earlier years. “I was a bad boy, a shoe shine boy, a wee [cannabis] seller. I did a lot of horrible things in my life,” said the 35-year-old.

But, in reality, Kuffour had a close relationship with his immediate family. His mother was a good source of inspiration for him, while his sisters made sure that he went to school and did his chores.

Every day, I had to give 120% to the team [Bayern Munich] because I am from Africa. Sometimes even when I was sick, they had to give me injections so I could play

Aside from the usual fights with his sisters, the young Kuffour also found solace in playing football and started his career with Fantomas FC, a colts club in Kumasi, before being spotted by the charismatic Alhaji Karim Grunsah, owner of Ghanaian club King Faisal, who signed him to King Faisal Babies.

But, as Kuffour recalled, the turning point of his career came when he received a call-up to the national Under-17 team, the Black Starlets, in 1991. The problem, however, was that he had no football boots at the time. After much thought, the young Kuffour asked his mother for help to buy the footwear.

It came with a huge price, though, because his mother sold the family television in order to buy the pair of boots. As Kuffour recalled, she lied to his sisters about the sale of the TV set.

“My mum stood behind me and lied to my sisters that the TV was with the repairers, but the TV was sold and I got the money to buy the boots. She really saw something in me even though, at the time, football was not that big,” he said.

That sacrifice was worth every cent because it opened the door to Kuffour’s stardom - the Black Starlets team eventually conquered the world at the Fifa World Cup in Italy, with Kuffour landing a contract with Italian outfit Torino.

It was, however, at German giants Bayern Munich that Kuffour had his biggest breakthrough. Kuffour went on to become the first African to play for Bayern Munich, winning a total of 17 titles with the Bavarians in a career spanning 12 years.

However, as Kuffour explained, it was not an easy journey.

“We had about four German national team players playing with me but Franz Beckenbauer told me ‘you have to play’," the ex-defender recalled.

“Every day, I had to give 120 per cent to the team because I am from Africa. Sometimes even when I was sick, they had to give me injections so I could play,” he said.

The former professional went on to rank Munich’s victory in the Uefa Champions League in 2001, two years after their final defeat to Manchester United, as the biggest highlight in his career, adding that he felt that the loss to Sir Alex Ferguson's side could have been avoided had Lothar Matthaus not been substituted in the 70th minute.

At the age of 35, Kuffour is now retired from the professional game and was recently appointed as a member of the Ghana Football Association’s Juvenile Committee.

He said that he hoped to bring his immense experience to bear on the current generation of young players in the country through his work on the committee.

Kuffour bid a tearful farewell to football on Friday in Kumasi in his testimonial match, where friends of the former Bayern Munich defender engaged the Black Stars in a game that ended 6-5 in favour of the national team, but it was the significance of the evening that was more important.

It brought to an end the career of a man considered the most decorated player from Ghana and one of Africa's best-ever imports to Europe and, as he did the lap of honour at the end of the game after playing a half for each side, the tears rolled down his face, perhaps thinking of how far he had come since his youth in Kumasi.

Source: Goal.com
"" "" "" ""
Time for overhaul!
dambun
2010/11 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iran

Postby MUTU » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:56 pm

I will never forget Kuffour crying in the Champions League final of '99

0:40 onwards, and if I recall correctly the referee hadn't even whistled the end of the match yet.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:13 am

Former Ghana and Bayern Munich star Samuel Osei Kuffour, has brought his eventful football career to an end with a memorable testimonial match played at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium in Kumasi on Friday.

The high-profile match played between a Kuffour-select side and the Senior National Team, the Black Stars, ended 6-5 in favour of the latter and was well-attended by a cross section of former football internationals, as well as some notable personalities.

They included former Presidents Jerry John Rawlings and John Agyekum Kufour, Otumfuo Osei Tutu 11, Asantehene and the Gbese Mantse, Nii Ayibonte.

Ex-World, European and African Footballer of the Year, George Oppong-Weah, former Ivorian Internationals Abdoulaye Traore and Alain Gouamene, as well as Camerounian International Patrick Mboma were on hand to give support to the match as they featured for the Kuffour-select side.

Kuffour came into the limelight during the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in 1991 as he contributed immensely to enable the Ghana Black Starlets lift the trophy in Spain.

His football career which spanned over a period of about 18 years saw him achieve so much for country and club, featuring for the Senior National Team in Ghana’s first-ever World Cup appearance at the 2006 Championship in Germany.

He also helped Bayern Munich win the UEFA Champions league in the early part of 2000 and went ahead to annex the World Club Championship, scoring the winning goal for the Bavarians.

It was all joy as the ex-Ghanaian International was joined by members of the victorious 1991 Starlets team to honour the match, including Nii Odartey Lamptey, Yaw Preko and George Owu.

Kuffour who was beside himself with joy had no option than to shed tears soon after the National Anthem had been played, drawing mixed feelings from the spectators.

A citation presented to him by the Government and people of Ghana through the National Sports Authority read “You are the only male footballer to have played in all the National teams. You stood for fairness and transparency as a player.

As a player, you became a role model for the youth on and off the pitch as you lifted high the flag of Ghana. The National Sports Authority and people of Ghana say “Ayekoo” (Well done) to you on your retirement from active football.”

On the match itself, the Kuffour select-side gave glimpses of how deadly some of the ex-internationals used to be in their active playing days with brilliant touches and goal-scoring techniques much to the delight of the spectators.

Soon after the Asantehene had kicked-off for the commencement of the match the two sides went into action but it was Kuffour who opened the scoring for his side in the 18th minute, scoring from the penalty spot after George Weah was brought in the goal-scoring area.

C.K. Akunnor, Laryea Kingston, Abdoulaye Traore and George Weah were all on the scoring sheet in the 33rd, 44th 73rd and 79th minutes, respectively.

The Stars also had their goals through Andre Ayew, Derek Boateng, Jordan Ayew, Samuel Inkoom, Sulley Muntari and John Mensah in the 20th, 26th, 27th, 41st, 59th and 61st minutes, respectively.

Source: http://www.modernghana.com/sports/36904 ... -lead.html
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby quaazi » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:03 pm

Hope he ends up at Bayern is some role in the future... still one of my favorite players (then again, who isn't of that '01 side).
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:00 am

I had no idea that Kuffour was still playing :o
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:51 am

Ex-Ghana defender Samuel Osei Kuffour claims he turned down a 200,000 pounds offer from Bayern Munich to miss the 2002 Africa Cup of Nations finals. :shock:

Read more: http://spyghana.com/sports-news/footbal ... n-kuffour/
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby quaazi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:36 pm

It's shocking that he actually turned it down! It's a common occurrence in football, surely, to have your players "injured" before an international tournament.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby lateef sadick » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:03 am

the best player ever to have played in the bundesliga. fantastic work done kuffour. we love you bayern fans.
lateef sadick
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby silberkreuz » Sun May 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Ah, he really loves us.
Good to see that Bayern's alumni the world over never quite forget their time in Munich.
silberkreuz
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:51 am

MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:54 am

he was one of my fav players ever... He scored the decisive goal in the World Cup in 2001, do you remember?
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:01 am

ramsej84 wrote:he was one of my fav players ever... He scored the decisive goal in the World Cup in 2001, do you remember?

I assume you mean the Intercontinental Cup, and yes I do remember it. The image that shows up in the tweet shows Kuffour celebrating that goal you are talking about :)

Here's the video:
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:09 am

I remember I missed this game cause I was at school :x
Then at break time I've sent a message from my mobile(internet wasn't available) to receive sports news and received the good news :D I cannot describe those waiting seconds!
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Next

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion