You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Roy Makaay

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Makaay still great?

yes
76%
no
24%

Total votes : 17

Postby fa » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:01 pm

just look at Makaay's stats, its really impressive:

YEAR TEAM GAMES GOALS LEAGUE

1993/94 Vitesse 10 1 Eredivisie
1994/95 Vitesse 34 11 Eredivisie
1995/96 Vitesse 31 11 Eredivisie
1996/97 Vitesse 34 19 Eredivisie
1997/98 Tenerife 36 7 Primera Division
1998/99 Tenerife 36 14 Primera Division
1999/00 Deportivo La Coruña 36 22 Primera Division
2000/01 Deportivo La Coruña 29 16 Primera Division
2001/02 Deportivo La Coruña 30 12 Primera Division
2002/03 Deportivo La Coruña 38 29 Primera Division
2003/04 Bayern München 32 23 Bundesliga
2004/05 Bayern München 33 22 Bundesliga
2005/06 Bayern München 31 17 Bundesliga
2006/07 Bayern München 21 11 Bundesliga

Total 431 215
Belgium, World Champion in 2050 !!
fa
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby diegis » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:11 pm

Bayern Munich striker Roy Makaay has revealed he would like to spend the rest of his playing days with the Bavarian giants.

The Dutchman, whose contract runs until 2008, has come in for criticism for his profligacy in front of goal so far this season, though he remains first choice striker alongside Claudio Pizarro.

“If it's up to me, then I would like to stay,” he told Die Welt.

“I can imagine ending my career here. But of course I don't know what the club's intentions will be in two years' time.”

Makaay has come in for criticism for his profligacy in front of goal so far this season, and has even earned the unwelcome nickname Roy "Vorbei" [past the post]. However, he has still managed 11 goals in the Bundesliga, a figure bettered only by Stuttgart's Mario Gomez, and he criticised those who were quick to jump on his back at the first sign of a drought.

“If either myself or [Werder Bremen's] Miroslav Klose go two games in succession without a goal, then we're supposedly in a crisis,” Makaay complained.

“With other strikers, who often go five games without a goal, it doesn't seem to be a point of interest.”

“That's the way it has been since I have been here. After all, I am still the most expensive player in the club's history.”
diegis
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby yoanna » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:39 pm

supr4king wrote: After all, I am still the most expensive player in the club's history.”

:shock: :roll:
geez, get over yourself... Roy.
“Del Piero is a boy who has integrated himself perfectly with the Juventus mentality, a mentality built on style and decorum. He really does deserve to reach this milestone”.

Beppe Furino
yoanna
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kevh26 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:16 pm

MUTU wrote:He's definitely still our #1 striker.

yeah, but that isn't saying much, podolski hasn't hit form this season, santa cruz hasn't hit form in 8 years and Pizarro is good, but he has no genuine class about his game.

just like most areas of the team the strike force is in need of serious investment, not just schlaudraff!
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:01 pm

We can`t blame the strikers if the midfielders couldn`t create good chances for them to score 8-[
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Makaay: next two weeks are crucial

Postby MUTU » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:39 pm

The Bavarian giants, who have completed consecutive doubles in the past two seasons, currently languish in fourth position in the Bundesliga, nine points behind leaders Schalke, and are in danger of missing out on Champions League football for the first time since the 1995/96 season.

Coach Ottmar Hitzfeld, who returned in February for a second spell in charge, has spoken of a "critical situation," and Makaay echoed those comments, telling Eurosport:

"Of course things are critical. We haven't reached our minimum target of third spot. That's why we need to secure third place as quickly as possible so that we can play in the Champions League again next year.

"We have two very important weeks in front of us. Apart from Milan in the Champions League, we also have Schalke, Hannover and [Bayer] Leverkusen waiting for us. You can't really say these games are do-or-die encounters, but we really do have to be careful now."

Bayern have history of coming from seemingly impossible positions to win the title, most notably in 2000/01, when Patrick Andersson brought the Champions plate back to the Isar with the last kick off the season, though Makaay has all but written off his side's hopes of pulling off a similar feat this time round.

"You have to be realistic," he said "There are eight games left and we are nine points behind. Even though Bayern has already performed incredible feats [in the past], it will be very difficult, particularly as two other teams - Bremen and Stuttgart - are still in the race."

The success of two of Bayern's arch-rivals, Werder Bremen and Schalke, who both rely on a traditional playmaker, has led many to speculate on Bayern's failure to replace Michael Ballack adequately as the reason for their struggles this season, and Makaay believes this has played a significant factor in their inability to beat some of the Bundesliga's lesser-lights.

"Of course everyone could see, at least in the Bundesliga, that we're missing a 'number 10.' We have imposed ourselves well in the Champions League without a playmaker. Particularly in the league though, when we're playing supposedly smaller sides who get men behind the ball, we're missing someone who can send a striker in behind the defence and give him a clear shot on goal," he added.

Makaay was reluctant to earmark a player he believes would be suitable for the job, though commented:

"All I know is that in this case the transfer fee is now so important. A player who costs 2 million euros can turn out to be more influential than one who costs 20 million. It's not just about how good the player is, he also has to fit in with the surroundings. In the past, Bayern has always recruited players who fit in perfectly with the mentality of the club. I am convinced that those responsible will find such a player for the coming season, whoever it may be."
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Roy Makaay

Postby Romario » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:35 am

Roy Makaay seems to be on his way back to his home country Holand!
With a one year contract left until 2008 he is allowed to leave Bayern for a
4-5 miljoen Euro ammount. Makaays prefers a journey back to his own country Holland after playing many years abroad in Spain and Germany.
Top of the list is PSV Eindhoven, followed by AZ Alkmaar.
But it seems a deal with PSV is in the final stage.
Romario
Hey, I'm new here!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:48 am

Hi Romario, welcome to the forum.
What is your source please? I find this highly unlikely, due to the fact that Santa Cruz wants to leave and Pizarro is unlikely to renew his contract. It would be very bad for us if we lose 3 strikers at the end of the season!
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Duncan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:44 pm

voetbalzone.nl has this rumor, but it is not going to happen anyway. Or is there a rational reason to drop our best striker?

But anyway here's the link

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=42329

They basically speculate that Bayern signs Toni and then there might a chance to sign Makaay. But at least hey are aware that RSC and Pizarro might leave Bayern. My recommendation: Forget the rumor!
Duncan
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby Romario » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:55 pm

MUTU wrote:Hi Romario, welcome to the forum.
What is your source please? I find this highly unlikely, due to the fact that Santa Cruz wants to leave and Pizarro is unlikely to renew his contract. It would be very bad for us if we lose 3 strikers at the end of the season!

First, thank you for the welcome, MUTU!
My source is the biggest local newspaper in Eindhoven.
The article is written by Frans van de Nieuwenhof, a journalis who's is called
the most informed insiderjournalist in Eindhoven. mostly he gets the news out of first hand from the PSV board.
Here is the link.

http://www.eindhovensdagblad.nl/sport/a ... 331224.ece

Also the name of Kevin Hofland (Wolfsburg) and Giovanni (Gio) van Bronkhorst (Barca) and Bolo Zenden (Liverpool) are linked as new players to PSV.
Romario
Hey, I'm new here!

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:13 pm

Hmm well I'll add it to the transfer list ;)

Thanks!
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Duncan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:06 pm

MUTU wrote:Hmm well I'll add it to the transfer list ;)

Thanks!

Come on, why? Has Bayern signed any top class striker so they can afford to let got Makaay? If Bayern surprisingly signs Toni and Adriano then you can add it there but not now

I really don't see a reason to keep track about each silly press rumor
Duncan
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:24 pm

If Bayern let Santa Cruz go, renew Pizarro's contract and buy Klose/Toni, I wouldn't put it past the management to sell Makaay, seriously. They'd say it's enough to have Klose/Toni, Pizarro and Podolski... and in case of injury problems, Schlaudraff can play in attack.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Duncan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:07 pm

That maneuver would leave Bayern still with only one top striker (Klose or Toni). Poldi is just a talent and Pizarro is the role model for inconsistency. Looking at the past transfer season there can only be one real target, to secure new quality and to retain the current quality. Signing Klose to sell Makaay would a just be another dumbass move we've seen much too often on the past two years by our management. Makaay has been the only reliable striking force at Bayern anyone that considers selling him is nuts
Duncan
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:30 pm

Duncan wrote:Signing Klose to sell Makaay would a just be another dumbass move we've seen much too often on the past two years by our management.

That's why I said I don't put it past them. But then, mind you, maybe he made up his mind that he doesn't want to renew his cotnract, and so Bayern would be willing to sell him now in order for him not to be the umpteenth player to leave Bayern on a free transfer.

I think Poldi can only improve now... the problem was that he was not being fed any balls, and the ones he were fed had an extremely slow build-up play.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion