You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Robert Lewandowski

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Robert Lewandowski

Postby Dumbledore7 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:44 am

Doomi92 wrote:I got questions to true fans of Bayern

Lewandowski is better for you then Mario Gómez , Mario Mandžukić or you miss them?

I am curious ;p

Lewandowski is the best football player amongst them without a doubt, but their impact on the team is a lot more difficult to evaluate. Gomez in his prime had an unbelievable goal tally and stats (I'll leave it for MUTU to show these), but he also had a lot more balls being provided to him than the other two. Mandzukic is overall probably the worst striker by stats and skill, but what he has going for him is that he was our main striker during the treble season. Lewandowski, meanwhile, can change games on his own. Though by our very high standards we can't really say he's done something incredibly extraordinary so far apart from showing magic on the pitch.

If Lewandowski finishes his Bayern career now, in my opinion Gomez would be recorded as Bayern's best striker in the past decade. That being said he has time on his side and I have no doubt that he'll be lauded as one of our very best strikers of all time.

zozon wrote:
ottackon wrote:Lewandowski is the best striker Bayern had for a long long time.
Better than Mandzukic, Gomez, Makaay, and Elber.

Just NO.

Still has a long way to surpass Makaay and Elber. Especially Makaay.

Especially Makaay? I thought Elber is the one recognised as our modern legendary striker. I hardly saw Elber but I remember Makaay "only" as a great striker.

If you compare them side by side I think Lewandowski may quite easily stand out amongst our past 10 or so strikers. That said, his overall impact as a Bayern player has not yet reach the heights of Gomez, let alone Elber, but the stage is his for the taking.
Dumbledore7
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:23 am

Lewa exploded later last season...
U used to criticize him but I was too a big admirer of Mandu... mabe it was that. He also had problems adapting to Pep's demands and a different type of pressure in Munich. What I miss from Mandu is his combative spirit and his helping of the defense...
However I admit Lewa is the best #9 since Elber... & he is alao on the same level of Roy Makaay.
Then come Gomez & Toni (same level for the two aswell IMHo)

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby endrity » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:37 am

Realistically speaking, Lewa's talent is levels and levels beyond any striker we've had since Kalle was leading our team in the 80s. He just has to play a few more seasons to get the stats and the silverware to match that. And we've had some good strikers in our team, it's just that Lewa really is arguably the world's best striker at the moment (though Suarez might have smth to say about that).
endrity
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Achilles » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:49 am

ramsej84 wrote:Lewa exploded later last season...
U used to criticize him but I was too a big admirer of Mandu... mabe it was that. He also had problems adapting to Pep's demands and a different type of pressure in Munich. What I miss from Mandu is his combative spirit and his helping of the defense...
However I admit Lewa is the best #9 since Elber... & he is alao on the same level of Roy Makaay.
Then come Gomez & Toni (same level for the two aswell IMHo)

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
I was the one that always defended Lewa and I have to disagree to that!
First of all statistic wise , yes Lewa had a poor start but his explosion this year -he was very good and scoring since the beggining- is not just because adaption or hard work but because of CoCo and because Pep is more flexible playing on the wings an put true wingers and Lahm at the RB which means many more chances for our strikers,we clearly weren't that good when we attacked from the middle because the opposing teams parked the bus and what you do when the opposed teams park the bus? you play wide with overlaps that's what Pep and CoCo our doing in the last matches(from 2nd quarter gainst Wolf) , so as I said Pep's ego is hurt finally(I think) he is more flexible,he sees what weapons we have on the wings and he uses it properle so Lewandowski just does his work because they feed him the right way and not the opposite as he did in the previous encounters(helping the midfielders)

PS:Sorry I'm typing from a tablet(bad tablet)
Mia san mia
Achilles
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby kst » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:54 am

I believe Lewa did say that his recent efficiency is coming also from Pep's tactical changes
kst
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Romania

Postby JANCKER » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:16 am

False nines no more...
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby #12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:35 pm

Well, he's what we call a "complete footballer", meaning he can do everything: header, left foot, right foot, he's fast, skilled, good assistant... Makaay was a great finisher, Elber was a very skilled striker, Mandzukic was a great team player, Gomez was a great scorer... But Lewa is all that in one... Maybe lacks a little something in every aspect described, ould still work on his finishing... But overall the whole package is the best by far...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ottackon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:23 pm

ottackon
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby JANCKER » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:08 pm

He's a great fella above all.
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby Badger » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:06 pm

tflags wrote:Pep never used overlappers on the wings. The first season he placed the fullbacks inside so they will precisely not overlap Robbery. He feels any player overrunning your zone makes the team lose presence/options on attack. Just say'n.

I'm surprised about that comment. If you'd said that he didn't use it very much, etc., I could have perhaps agreed. But in Pep's time at Bayern we have seen (particularly) Bernat and Rafinha overlap from time to time.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby quaazi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:15 pm

In his first season, Pep greatly preferred so-called "underlapping" runs. It sometimes choked the width out of our game, but it also overloaded the center really well. RIght now we don't need wingbacks taking as central positions as they did then - our centerbacks are more than competent stepping into midfield.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby tflags » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:36 pm

Badger wrote:I'm surprised about that comment. If you'd said that he didn't use it very much, etc., I could have perhaps agreed. But in Pep's time at Bayern we have seen (particularly) Bernat and Rafinha overlap from time to time.

Well, yes, never is too absolute a word. There are/were games where the fullbacks acted as wingers on occasion, probably because the opportunity presented itself to do so. Tactically speaking, however, Pep doesn't want his true wings to run back and forth Atlético style any more so than his full backs turning into wingers. Here, one excerpt from the Bible:

"... por ejemplo situar a los laterales muy cerrados junto a los centrocampistas y lejos de las bandas, su ubicación natural. Grill lo considera muy positivo: «Subir a los laterales por el centro es el movimiento táctico de Pep que llama más la atención. Para mí ha sido una cosa” muy inteligente y también estratégica. Pero también por cómo ha entendido el carácter de los jugadores. Creo que lo ha hecho por una razón: lo que quiere es muy claro, quiere el control en el centro y necesita tener superioridad en esa zona, con lo que solo quiere atacar con un hombre por cada banda. Tiene a Robben y Ribéry y con eso basta. Por esta razón digo que fue muy listo en comprender a sus jugadores. ¿Influir en Robben y Ribéry y que cambien su juego? Eso es muy complicado, así que ha optado por colocar a los dos laterales por dentro porque imaginaba que los dos de arriba no le iban a hacer caso [ríe]. Y lo que ha conseguido es tener la superioridad en el centro gracias a Rafinha y Alaba, dando la oportunidad a Thiago o Götze o a quien juegue en el centro del campo a subir más, con lo que tiene más jugadores en el centro y cerca de la portería. Ese ha sido un movimiento ganador, un pensamiento inteligente que hay que aplaudirle»

"For example placing the full backs very tight next to the midfielders and far from the flanks, their natural positions. Grill considers it very positive: "Making the full backs move forward thru the center is Pep's more notable tactical move. For me it has been a very intelligent thing but also strategic. But also by how he has understood the players. I think he has done it for one reason: What he wants is control of the center and he needs superiority in that zone, so he wants to attack with only one man on each flank. He has Robbery and that is enough. That is why I say he was very smart in understanding his players . . . he has opted to place his full backs thru the center because he thinks those deep will not obey him (he laughs). What he has gained is to have numeric superiority center wise thanks to Rafinha & Alaba and that has given Thiago and Gotze or whoever plays center midfield the chance to go deeper so he has more players center and closer to goal. . ."
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby endrity » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:11 am

tflags wrote:
Badger wrote:I'm surprised about that comment. If you'd said that he didn't use it very much, etc., I could have perhaps agreed. But in Pep's time at Bayern we have seen (particularly) Bernat and Rafinha overlap from time to time.

Well, yes, never is too absolute a word. There are/were games where the fullbacks acted as wingers on occasion, probably because the opportunity presented itself to do so. Tactically speaking, however, Pep doesn't want his true wings to run back and forth Atlético style any more so than his full backs turning into wingers. Here, one excerpt from the Bible:

"... por ejemplo situar a los laterales muy cerrados junto a los centrocampistas y lejos de las bandas, su ubicación natural. Grill lo considera muy positivo: «Subir a los laterales por el centro es el movimiento táctico de Pep que llama más la atención. Para mí ha sido una cosa” muy inteligente y también estratégica. Pero también por cómo ha entendido el carácter de los jugadores. Creo que lo ha hecho por una razón: lo que quiere es muy claro, quiere el control en el centro y necesita tener superioridad en esa zona, con lo que solo quiere atacar con un hombre por cada banda. Tiene a Robben y Ribéry y con eso basta. Por esta razón digo que fue muy listo en comprender a sus jugadores. ¿Influir en Robben y Ribéry y que cambien su juego? Eso es muy complicado, así que ha optado por colocar a los dos laterales por dentro porque imaginaba que los dos de arriba no le iban a hacer caso [ríe]. Y lo que ha conseguido es tener la superioridad en el centro gracias a Rafinha y Alaba, dando la oportunidad a Thiago o Götze o a quien juegue en el centro del campo a subir más, con lo que tiene más jugadores en el centro y cerca de la portería. Ese ha sido un movimiento ganador, un pensamiento inteligente que hay que aplaudirle»

"For example placing the full backs very tight next to the midfielders and far from the flanks, their natural positions. Grill considers it very positive: "Making the full backs move forward thru the center is Pep's more notable tactical move. For me it has been a very intelligent thing but also strategic. But also by how he has understood the players. I think he has done it for one reason: What he wants is control of the center and he needs superiority in that zone, so he wants to attack with only one man on each flank. He has Robbery and that is enough. That is why I say he was very smart in understanding his players . . . he has opted to place his full backs thru the center because he thinks those deep will not obey him (he laughs). What he has gained is to have numeric superiority center wise thanks to Rafinha & Alaba and that has given Thiago and Gotze or whoever plays center midfield the chance to go deeper so he has more players center and closer to goal. . ."

Great read, but a bit surprising. Dani Alves in Barca would run behind the winger time and time again. If he wants to move away from that, than it restricts the wingers to stay quite wide, which isn't positive if they are also great goalscorers like Robben. Then you really need a midfielder (or more) who knows how to attack from deep and be able to score. Someone like Lampard or Gerrard at their peak.
endrity
I post all the time

Postby icewizard » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:25 pm

I still enjoy the moment every time i remember the transfer fee for getting Robert Lewandowski... The best deal in the world in the latest years definitely... Any of you thinking about something similar?
icewizard
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Tedesco » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:41 pm

Question:

Is Lewa's form due to Robben not being in the pitch? Having Costa + Coman/Müller/Götze in the right wing means Lewa is getting the ball supplied much more often than when Mr. Cut Inside is in the pitch.

Thoughts?
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion