You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Robert Lewandowski

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Robert Lewandowski

Postby sch0ll7 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:17 pm

it doesnt matter if we have 3 top poachers...we dont play that kind of system under Pep. It is not about poaching. It is about anyone upfront being able to score as we can see we are scoring from all fronts.

We have seen before that Muller, Robben, Ribery, Gotze all have similar amount of scoring chances as Lewa.

Peps attacking tactics is about finding space..he said that himself. And not only for a striker but for any attacking player who has a chance of using that space and scoring. So it doesnt matter if we had Falcao, Diego Costa on our team..what matters the most is that he can play multiple positions up front and that is not the case with those two.

We have seen that against Shakhtar...Pep left Lewa out on the bench because he felt the tactics he employed against the opponent does not need his set of skills.

So about that plan B you said we need...plan B is to play without a classic number 9.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby runaway » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:49 pm

People are forgetting what position Mueller is playing these days (since Guardiola has come here). He's utilized as a CF now with his playing time, he's actually our main attacker up front since Lewa is the one that's rotated. Might not be Mueller's optimum position because I believe his best position is still behind or alongside a proper striker. Mueller as a main striker means being man-marked and limited in space which means he can't work his magic. So for Lewa's competition, that's Mueller's job at the moment although they're actually better together than separately.

Badger wrote:Does anyone have a link to the stats for the shots/goals ratios for the top strikers in Europe, including Lewandowski and, if possible, Dost and Kane?

I think what you want is called in analytics, Shooting percentage (Sh%=non-penalty goals/total shots on target). You can use whoscore.com. Find the player>Detailed>Shots>Accuracy. In comparing players, it's best to use /90 to eliminate the imbalance of the differences in playing time. I don't know what free site provides missed chances data unless you go through each match report in squawka and look at the missed chances. But Sh% is a good indicator already than the Shooting accuracy in squawka for example which is goals/total shots.

Did a quick math since I was also curious. Most effective and efficient in order (again I used /90): Goetze, Mueller, Robben, and Lewa = 57 goals. For reference: RM (BRB+Hamez), 60 goals. Barca(MSN+Pedro), 52 goals. Last season overall goal tally of Mandzu, Mueller, Robbery, and Goetze = 104.

You can also go through Ted Knutson's player radars (not updated to the latest matchday) he has released a lot of the Sh% of various players. I saw far back Lewa's BVB data there. He just released Dost's, the guy is in an insane Messi and Ronaldo parallel universe form at the moment.
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby Korab » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:16 pm

sch0ll7 wrote:it doesnt matter if we have 3 top poachers...we dont play that kind of system under Pep. It is not about poaching. It is about anyone upfront being able to score as we can see we are scoring from all fronts.

We have seen before that Muller, Robben, Ribery, Gotze all have similar amount of scoring chances as Lewa.

Peps attacking tactics is about finding space..he said that himself. And not only for a striker but for any attacking player who has a chance of using that space and scoring. So it doesnt matter if we had Falcao, Diego Costa on our team..what matters the most is that he can play multiple positions up front and that is not the case with those two.

We have seen that against Shakhtar...Pep left Lewa out on the bench because he felt the tactics he employed against the opponent does not need his set of skills.

So about that plan B you said we need...plan B is to play without a classic number 9.

It looks to me that plan B = plan A, that means that plan C is needed. Striker is just nominal term for the player with shirt #9 and if his on the field or not we have the same plan. I think it would good if Lewa requested shirt #99 or whatever, then we would avoid misunderstandings in our discussion. Problem if have striker or not would be gone.
Korab
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby RedQueen » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:34 pm

Badger wrote:Does anyone have a link to the stats for the shots/goals ratios for the top strikers in Europe, including Lewandowski and, if possible, Dost and Kane?

Here you go... Squawka's useful tool.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix

Just choose the player and add as stats goals, shots and what else you're interested in. Shots/goal can then be calculated.
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby pyrasur » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:40 pm

MUTU wrote:
Lewandowski is more of an all-rounder. His all-round skills are better than Gomez and Mandzukic.
Mandzukic is the best fighter, but despite him winning some battles in tackling, Lewandowski still assists more, because as you say he's able to drift into the winger position sometimes and allow the other offensive players to move into the striker position.
Gomez is just more prolific than the others. It'd be nice to also have someone with his poaching skills as a plan B along with Lewandowski.

In our tactics, Lewandowski suits us best I'd say. Dieter Hoeness and Effenberg seem to agree as well.

But we do need a plan B. Sometimes, Lewandowski will fall short. It's infallible. This is not a striker problem but a personnel problem. We're quick to point fingers at Lewandowski but he's the only proper real striker (I'm not counting the old and oft-injured Pizarro here) in the squad. When he fails, or the opposition doesn't suit him, he often has to keep on playing.

This wasn't the case in 2012/13. When Gomez was playing badly, or the tactics of the opponents wouldn't allow him to play to his strengths, Heynckes played Mandzukic. And vice versa. Pep doesn't have this luxury in the striking department, so Lewandowski plays, sucks, and looks bad as a result.

Robert Lewandowski a 'go-to guy,' says Bayern's Matthias Sammer [source]

Looks like Bayern agree. Lewandowski is a definite upgrade on Mandzukic. Sure Mandzukic had a lot of fight in him, but talent-wise he’s never going to be top. Not to mention his lack of professionalism.

The plan B for Pep is Müller and possibly Götze. Since Pep benched him for Müller, Lewa knows he has competition. And look what it got him, brace right after against Paderborn. Dismiss Paderborn all you want, if you do you weren’t watching the start of the game where Paderborn organized themselves as well as any top side. Against teams that play physical, organized football, a physical frontman is only going to get so far. Unless football is the only sport where you try to match an opponent's key strength instead of attacking his weakness.
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby sch0ll7 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Korab wrote:It looks to me that plan B = plan A, that means that plan C is needed. Striker is just nominal term for the player with shirt #9 and if his on the field or not we have the same plan. I think it would good if Lewa requested shirt #99 or whatever, then we would avoid misunderstandings in our discussion. Problem if have striker or not would be gone.

That is not what I wanted to say...

When Lewa plays...we put more crosses in and are sometimes playing long balls to him. When Gotze or Muller play upfront we dont do that as often. so those 2 are different "plans".
Lewandowski is good at what he is doing but we dont use him as classic #9. He tends to do much more.

Dont read too much into these rumours as i believe everyone is happy with his performances.

This debate about him is just silly.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby Korab » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:47 am

I don’t take any rumors seriously, usually one has some stake in spreading or creating them, maybe just to have something to write about.
I don’t also mind that people have their own opinions. Mine is mostly that Bayern does not play striker in their line up, so I’m disputing only some statements which insinuate that Lewa is the striker (here it’s very important to some people that he wears #9) and should contribute to Bayern scoring line like he used to at BVB. I don’t even see that other players treat him that way (with exception of 2 goals earlier in the season and 1 in last game).
To characterize style of Bayern nowadays (slow build up moving forward, grinding defenses to smithereens, if they allow it, not always true), do just one experiment when Bayern reposes the ball close to its own goal you can easily go to your kitchen, prepare tea or drink and go back. You’ll see Bayern still close to the center line or approaching penalty box of the opponent. There are no more fast attacks where strikers are needed.
Korab
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby runaway » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:36 am

If you want fast attacks and the team to counterattack, beg every team we play against not to sit in front of their own box and attack us. I mean, if there's any team that won't do that, it will be Barca. The rest will keep as close to their own box.

We are in the Top 3 of the best goalscoring team in the world today. Depending on who's predictive model you follow, we are either first or second behind Barca on Expected goals. All this moaning about goals and our lack of clinical finishing is bordering on a child's tantrum deprived of another cookie when he's still holding one.

What happened to BVB was unexplainable and there's every possibility it can also happen to us (knock on wood) . And we might miss the days we are moaning about a few dropped and lost games or players missing sitters when the game was already won. Afterall, the cyclical 3 years of Bayern's Buli domination is almost up.

via Tapatalk
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby pyrasur » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:20 am

I can watch the complaining on this forum all day, go to my kitchen, make tea, come back and still see the same nonsense. In that time, Bayern averages in the last two league games a only goal nearly every ten minutes. At most I miss two goals.
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Korab » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:30 pm

2015: result against bottom of the table teams 16:0 (avg. every 16min) , against top +Shahtar 2:5 (avg every 135min). If you watch more important games you can cook dinner between goals. If you really think you will know what I meant. If you want to use statistics I showed you above what kind of nonsense it can be.
Korab
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:48 pm

The only competition that matters to us international Bayern fans is the Champions League.

Elber 1st season: 3 goals + 1 assist in CL
Makaay 1st season: 6 goals (inc. 1 pen) in CL
Podolski 1st season: 1 goal + 1 assist in CL
Gomez 1st season: 1 goal + 3 assists in CL
Mandzukic 1st season: 3 goals + 1 assist in CL
Lewandowski so far: 2 goals + 2 assists in CL

Klose and Toni weren't included as they played in the UEFA Cup in their first season at Bayern. Pizarro and Petersen weren't included as they were never starters.

If Lewandowski scores or assists 1 more goal in the Champions League, he'll have more scorer points in the CL than the 1st season of the last strikers we bought, except for Makaay (of course Lewa has chance to recover).
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Ottomeister13 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Sorry to say it, but if you as international Bayern fan, only care about the CL? Dont even call yourself a Bayern supporter...
Ottomeister13

Postby MUTU » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:00 pm

Ottomeister13 wrote:Sorry to say it, but if you as international Bayern fan, only care about the CL? Dont even call yourself a Bayern supporter...

OK I'm not a Bayern supporter then, because I'd rather win the Champions League 10x more than winning the Bundesliga. Maybe I should shut down the forum too...
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby SilentStrike » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:05 am

MUTU wrote:
Ottomeister13 wrote:Sorry to say it, but if you as international Bayern fan, only care about the CL? Dont even call yourself a Bayern supporter...

OK I'm not a Bayern supporter then, because I'd rather win the Champions League 10x more than winning the Bundesliga. Maybe I should shut down the forum too...

Thoygh I don't entirely agree I see where Mutu is coming from. In Germany winning the BL gives pride to all Bayern fans that your team/city is better than those of your friends who are BVB Schalke whatever fans. A reason to call your team the better than your friends/colleagues teams for a full year. However my friends are for Chelsea, Real (etc the usual) and winning the BL doesn't give me any sort of pride when talking to them. Only the CL does.

In that sense as international Bayern the BL is less important to us than to those living in Munich, but still very important and we can't just neglect it. However for all Bayern fans in or outside of Germany winning the CL is the biggest prize, without a doubt.
Aux Champs-Élysées
Aux Champs-Élysées
Au soleil, sous la pluie
À midi ou à minuit
Il y a tout ce que vous voulez
Aux Champs-Élysées
SilentStrike
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:03 am

I had this discussion with MUTU @ the club on several occasions...8-)
OK given the fact that we won the BuLi many times compared to our competitors I'd choose the UCL without any thoughts...however even the board they always say it before every season-#1priority ; Bundesliga. Then comes the UCL which is a completely different story where the tm is builded up differently. So I conclude that one cannot choose between the 2.

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion