You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Postby Sydaney » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:57 am

As much as I don't care for his rigid possession above all philosophy, which he will never change, it would be unfair to sack him before he gets a chance to either really put his stamp on the (adapting) team in his second season or adapt more to the current teams strengths and weaknesses/ and during the transfer window. He's not exactly on Moyes level. Hell lets wait and see what happens in the Cup finals as well (though I don't foresee that going well at this point).

But if the board wants to replace him with a suitable candidate, I would be all for that as well...

Also all his German lessons would be wasted if he left now!
Sydaney
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DerKaiser » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:39 am

Is Pep killing "The Alien" Thomas Mueller with not enough playing time?
Statistics are like miniskirts . What they reveal is tantalizing, but what they hide is crucial.
DerKaiser
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby DerKaiser » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:41 am

by the way for all all of you Pep´s german is not very good, for a rich guy who had 6 months time
Statistics are like miniskirts . What they reveal is tantalizing, but what they hide is crucial.
DerKaiser
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Tedesco » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:02 am

DerKaiser wrote:by the way for all all of you Pep´s german is not very good, for a rich guy who had 6 months time

He's German is at best "okay".
And I agree, for someone with so much money, private teachers and what not, I don't find THAT impressive.
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:52 am

I am certain that Pep will be here until December or January at the least. Whether or not we take the Pokal will certainly have an impact on the board's assessment of him but he will be here next season. Then it all depends on whether we come out and get the same results we were getting early this season or whether we start the season on a similar note to what we're doing right now.

On a lighter note: imagine if we bring back LVG and kill United's hopes once again. :lol:
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby michel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:49 pm

It is hard to reconcile what happened so far this season at FC Bayern München, from steamrolling domination to plain ridicule. In less than a year, the change is spectacular. It is anything but stable, as the club’s image is. But let’s make that effort and dissect the mistakes.

More: Dissecting Bayern’s and Pep Guardiola’s mistakes
Publisher of Bayern Central
michel
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Pep being ridiculed [source]
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:56 pm

this is incredible, his final sentence was, we have to discuss with the board whether the current players are the ones who can adopt to Pep's philosophy [source]
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:11 pm

Sacking a coach after winning the league in record breaking fashion and losing on the semi-finals of the CL/Pokal finals will be considered heresy by the general public, whatever the result might be vs either Madrid or Dortmund; even for Bayern Munich. Just say'in.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby kod2600 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:57 pm

I'd hate to be a fan of a club that doesn't give a coach who actually won things a second chance. I don't want my club to turn into something I hated in other clubs. Give the man a 2nd chance, and then the right choices will come along and pieces will fall into the right place.
My blood is RED
My team is RED
It's Bayern München till I'm DEAD

Mia San Mia
kod2600
I post all the time

National Flag:
Palestine

Postby KateL » Thu May 01, 2014 1:59 am

I would rather sack the coach than have a coach who wants to sell half our players and buy others all so it can suit his way of playing. What about loyalty to those who stood by your side through all the heartbreak and loss and gave their all to win the historic treble? Should they just be sacrificial lambs at the feet of the almighty tiki-taka.

And for the record, that is not me advocating sacking Pep. That is me saying he needs to adapt to the player we have. I am worried that won't happen.
KateL
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby pyrasur » Thu May 01, 2014 3:16 am

Agreed. I'd like to think that the club is professional enough to do the right thing moving forward. That means fixing what we have to moving forward, but also calm and not overreacting as well as showing the loyalty that makes this club more than just a business. This is a Bayern family and our players are Bayern's boys. Many had an opportunity to leave and haven't. I think no way the board sanctions selling some of our central players. They have proven only last year they are capable of winning the biggest championships. But everybody in the squad needs a bit of competition. For example our CBs (and this is only an example not to discredit what Boa and Dante have done for us) have been competing with solid but older DVB, an injured Badsy, and Martinez who was played out of position who was there just to give us a second option in case some one gets hurt or suspended. Another CB, even Bads coming back, gives us competition there and Javi back where he belongs.

But to remain on point at this point :D I agree I love our Bayern boys and have a bit more of an attachment to them than to Pep only because Pep hasn't been here long enough. This changes of course if he wins us a CL at some point. Then I'll hope to see him wearing a Bavarian jacket over his turtleneck or something.
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby huknife » Thu May 01, 2014 5:04 am

ramsej84 wrote:
this is incredible, his final sentence was, we have to discuss with the board whether the current players are the ones who can adopt to Pep's philosophy [source]

Alright, I'll be that guy.

This is actually accurate. Pep's philosophy worked at Barcelona because they had players that were technically more gifted than the ones we have. Not all round, but the required attributes to play the passing and penetration game at the highest level and succeed.

The Midfield players of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquests Etc. all have brilliant First Touch and Control to go with Distributing the ball in and into tight spaces. We just don't have players of this class, to play this specific game.

Hence, this question does need to be asked, i agree. IF we are keeping to this philosophy.

Could Pep be blaming the decision to not to bring in the Talisman he asked for?

At Barca the Puzzle fitted so well because of Messi.
huknife
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Badger » Thu May 01, 2014 10:06 am

For the record, I still regard Guardiola as one of the top five coaches in the world, and am still convinced that he knows the job a lot better than the many journalists, pundits and forum fans who talk as if they know better how to do the job.

Guardiola is one year with Bayern, and has achieved as much as any coach could reasonably be expected to win in a first year at one of Europe’s elite clubs; anything more would have been a bonus.

Guardiola was right to experiment with his system. It won everything up until now. In some respects, the experiment has been a bit like doing the high jump. As time goes on, the bar gets higher. Each success reinforces the idea that the system/technique has some merit. It is only at the last stages when the bar is knocked down that the limits of the system/technique and limits of the athlete are identified. Moreover, careful consideration must be given to rightly judge which limitations are limitations of the system and which are limitations of the athlete.

The defeat to Real (and to a lesser extent, the defeat to Dortmund) was like Bayern knocking down the bar and discovering various limitations. My take on these limitations are:
- Some things worked at Barcelona but not at Bayern because of two key players – Messi, who could prise open defences with pieces of magic, and Busquets, who was possibly the ultimate holding midfielder.
- Barcelona’s one-touch accuracy and pace of combination in the box were often superior to Bayern’s; Bayern’s build-up is far too slow and obvious.
- Possession football like Barcelona’s and Bayern’s has been around long enough for the best teams to have worked out how to deal with it. In its pure form, it will not be as effective against top teams from now on; it needs a further dimension, expanding and varying it to cope with the best defensive/counterattacking teams.
- Bayern’s central defence is good enough for the Bundesliga and/or a compact system protected by a double pivot, but is not up to the task of the final stages of the European Champions League playing with a high line and loose protection from the central midfielders.
- Mandzukic and Mueller, used as strikers against the highest level opposition, can be contained by the best defences.

There is a lot of codswollop being written about Guardiola being stubborn. Well, he has reverted to 4-2-3-1, he has returned Lahm to RB, he has reintroduced Martinez to defensive midfield, he has moved Kroos back from attacking midfield to central midfield, he has apparently shelved the “false-nine” idea, and more – all stuff that fans were whinging about. Irrelevant of how well any of this has worked, it is enough to prove that the man will change things if they don’t appear to be working, and continued claims that he is stubborn are a shallow analysis of his work.

Bayern will meet defensive/counterattacking teams no matter what system they play. The future of top-level football may sometimes be about hitting counterattacking teams with fast counters, and about drawing them out from the compact, parked-bus formation rather than compressing them into a tighter grouping. My money is on Guardiola retaining the core of his possession system and the majority of the current Bayern squad, but expanding and varying his tactics with the players at his disposal to beat defensive/counterattacking teams in future. And he’ll take us to at least one Champions League final in the next two years.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby FCB general » Thu May 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Guardiola is in the phase of proving himself as a world-class coach. This Bayern period will give more clearer picture about his qualities.

I see you talk a lot about his work methods, his philosophy(or I should better ideology)...

Well, some things are clear. Bad things have happened in the last 2 months literally over one night at Bayern, ie Hertha match where we've become a German champions.

Then came that incredible statement of our coach that we are done with Bundesliga from his point of view. For me, that was a trigger of bad performances which bring us to the consequences of bad games against Hoffenheim, Augsburg, Dortmund, United and finally as a cherry on the cake this painful defeat against Real Madrid.

If we read German websites, Guardiola right after Dortmund match(correct me if I'm wrong) told that he changed Bayern preparations and training intensity right after the tittle was secured, thereby hoping the team will get some rest and better concentrate on United clash.

The Catalan admited that he did that and that he did really wrong where players responeded completely opposite.

Our tempo and ideas were lost, Guardiola decided to experiment with early 20 century halfs by putting Alaba and Rafinha/Lahm there, we couldn't do anything what we were doing until the Hertha match.

Now, one is sure - Guardiola will STAY Bayern coach in the next season and probably in his 3rd year of contract, but...

Yesterday I've seen one headline in tz-online where Dressen and Rummenigge are caught after the game, and under says: "We will get active on the transfer market and we won't ask for the price" - highlighting that Guardiola will have untied hands to buy whatever he thinks is neccessary.

Okay, our board think(or just pretending) that the problem is in our squad, they don't possess those qualities which our coach expected to see, etc.

But, how can you see they can't we everything was just fine until the match vs. Hertha? I know that we haven't reached exact level as our coach wanted, but it worked just good in the Bundesliga. Now it's not. How is that possible?

Well, our coach has confessed another thing in the last week - "I have seen some things wrong, I haven't met entirely German football culture and I have to find out how to adjust my ideas with the German way of seeing/playing football - balance those 2 different ways."

That's maybe the biggest of all problems - Guardiola knows that he can't do the same thing in Bayern as he did in Barcelona because Bayern don't have that kind of players, those players aren't raised and educated in La Masia and on its way, he must understand that it's time for him to learn something new about football and try to understand how Catalan view of football is not the only way to mix up the things outside of Spain.

When and if Guardiola decide to change some of his ideas and modify his style, perhaps he might have a chance to prove himself outside of Barcelona.

The Catalan must be aware of one thing - Bayern won everything because his German mentality, strong character, team spirit, aggresive approach. They didn't need Messi as alfa & omega of the club, Iniesta and Xavi as Messi's supporters.

He admited his 'crime' for this disaster - that's fair and okay for me. But... It won't be good enough until he gets familiar with Germany and its football culture.

His bad German is the less important thing in this story. Germans don't give a fúck when "eine ausländer spricht" poor German. They only care about work, strong will, arbeit commitment and results of that arbeit.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Red Cross

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion