You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:59 pm

Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby runaway » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:09 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Image

Haters gonna hate. :lol:
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby Firefox1234 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:25 pm

Guardiola: Frankfurt game Bayern's best performance [source]

Spoiler: show
The Spaniard was very happy with his side's display and feels they were in control for the full 90 minutes of the match

Pep Guardiola feels Bayern Munich's 5-0 Bundesliga win over Eintracht Frankfurt was their best performance at the Allianz Arena so far this season.

Goals from Mario Gotze and Franck Ribery helped the Bavarians to a two-goal lead at half-time before Arjen Robben, Dante and Mario Mandzukic piled even more misery on the guests after the break.

"This was our best home game so far this season. I am very satisfied. My players put in a great performance and I can only congratulate them. We made a good step forward," Guardiola said at a press conference.

"We were in control the entire game and enjoyed a lot of possession. We succeeded in getting our special attackers in dangerous positions time and time again.

"I am happy for the fans. I often feared that the people inside the stadium would get bored during the first half of the season."

Bayern currently sit atop of the Bundesliga table, holding a 13-point lead over second-placed Bayer Leverkusen.

LOL! Funny to hear Pep say that he was worried people would be bored of the way he coaches :lol:
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:31 pm

A few months ago someone mentioned that he was reading Guardiola's biography. Can anyone tell me what it is called, and whether there are any other interesting works on Guardiola?

He has really won me over. While I have always considered him a good coach, like many people I also attributed most of his success to his great players. But now that I'm watching him with Bayern I can see how much of a perfectionist he is. It is so fascinating to analyse every little detail of everything that happens on the pitch and see how his tactics work out. I am sure that if and when he leaves us, I will continue following his teams regularly. I don't think I have ever been such a fan of a coach before.

Over the past few months I've realised that people who compare Guardiola and Mourinho have it wrong. They are both incredible coaches, possibly the best two of the modern day, but that is where the similarities end. Guardiola is a perfectionist, a master tactician. Mourinho is a sort of hero.

People say that Guardiola is a coward. It is true that he always coaches teams with great players, but I think there is a simple reason for that. His tactics are so well-developed, so detailed, that they can only be implemented successfully by a group of world-class players. Yes, his teams are good, to the point that a few years back I used to say Barca would win everything even without a coach, and I'm sure people say that about Bayern today. But he does manage to take a team to the next level. I don't think anyone else could have improved this Bayern side after last season, but I am of the opinion that Guardiola has done so. The same could be said for Barcelona, who despite keeping more or less the same squad seem to have struggled after he left. He's also the only coach who's managed to keep a team successful after winning the CL in recent years. Inter, Chelsea, Man United, Milan, Liverpool... they have all fallen to mediocrity. Only Barcelona have remained there, and it seems like Bayern will do so too.

He is not the kind of coach who is expected to take control of an average team and make it world-class. That is Mourinho's job. Mourinho went to Inter when they hadn't done well in Europe for many decades. He went to Real Madrid, who had not won the league for several years and had not made it even to the QFs of the CL in a very long time. He went to Chelsea who had played in the Europa League the previous season. And he made them all better. That is who Mourinho is. The two, in my opinion, are not comparable.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby runaway » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:02 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:A few months ago someone mentioned that he was reading Guardiola's biography. Can anyone tell me what it is called, and whether there are any other interesting works on Guardiola?

It was Badger and it's Balague's book, Pep Guardiola: Another Way of Winning
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby tflags » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:03 pm

Don't expect to find much about Guardiola on Balague's book. Dude guards his privacy and thoughts like it is a matter of national security. Try Graham Hunter's Barca. Much, much better footballing wise. Talks a little bit about what Pep really thought about Messi and all.

About Guardiola and Mourinho, there is one very striking similarity between the two which in turn makes them completely different.

Both of them are very similar in the sense that it is very difficult for them to stay with one club for very long. In Guardiola's case, he simply burns himself out.

On Mourinho's case, he burns out everyone else.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby Ruht » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 pm

runaway wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:A few months ago someone mentioned that he was reading Guardiola's biography. Can anyone tell me what it is called, and whether there are any other interesting works on Guardiola?

It was Badger and it's Balague's book, Pep Guardiola: Another Way of Winning

Hey! It was me! Unless Badger also mentioned it at some point though :D

It's a good read definitely. I'm almost done with it and I've enjoyed every page of it. It is true that Pep is a very private person and barely talks about himself, especially to journalists, however there are still lots of things I've learnt about him from the book. Some of the team talks he's given are also mentioned, or how he prepared the players for matches and it is outstanding!
Ruht
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:01 pm

runaway wrote:It was Badger and it's Balague's book, Pep Guardiola: Another Way of Winning

tflags wrote:Don't expect to find much about Guardiola on Balague's book. Dude guards his privacy and thoughts like it is a matter of national security. Try Graham Hunter's Barca. Much, much better footballing wise. Talks a little bit about what Pep really thought about Messi and all.

Thank you very much. I will definitely try to get hold of both.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Badger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:14 am

Yes, as stated above, I also mentioned the Guardiola biography (back on page 15 of this thread). My recommendation and summary then are still fairly applicapable:
"I am about two thirds of the way through Guillem Balague’s latest biography of Pep Guardiola. I’d strongly recommend the book. It gives extensive insights into numerous things about the man, especially his lifelong obsession with football tactics and his reasons for leaving Barcelona. Unless it is contradicted in the last third of the book, which I’m about to read, it would seem as if Messi was one of the major reasons for Guardiola’s departure. Their relationship was good, but Guardiola eventually came to doubt the wisdom of building a team around a star (even if that star is Messi), and he felt that the best was in the past. That perhaps explains the attraction of Bayern, which doesn’t really have any star that the team is built around, but has a top quality squad, and it would also explain Guardiola’s recent declaration that Messi would never be signed by Bayern."

Most biographies, official biographies and autobiographies need to be read with a degree of reservation; they are all likely to have some elements that skew the real picture a little. That said, I felt that Balague's was fairly plausible, even though he had to piece a lot of material together from sources other than Guardiola himself. The main thing I got out of the book was this overwhelmingly clear picture that Guardiola has had a lifelong obsession with football tactics. He was noted for it as a player, often being called in for discussions of it with his coaches at that time, and he has extended it considerably since then. I am barely exaggerating when I say that I have come to regard him as a professor of football tactics.

I have this feeling that, for the next few years there will be around 8-10 top teams in Europe - 2-3 English, 3 Spanish, 1 French, 1-2 Italian and 2 German. Their domestic leagues will rarely be won by anyone outside this group. They will be close enough in ability that, by the time the latter stages of the Champions League arrives, any result is possible. The difference between progressing and being knocked out will come down to the coach's preparation, tactics and ability to adjust during a game. And for that reason, I am delighted to that Guardiola is the Bayern coach.

PS: If anyone is buying Balague's book, they should try to get the revised edition that came out in the past year (ISBN 1409129462 ), rather than an older edition.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby Badger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 am

He has really won me over. While I have always considered him a good coach, like many people I also attributed most of his success to his great players. But now that I'm watching him with Bayern I can see how much of a perfectionist he is. It is so fascinating to analyse every little detail of everything that happens on the pitch and see how his tactics work out. I am sure that if and when he leaves us, I will continue following his teams regularly. I don't think I have ever been such a fan of a coach before.

Over the past few months I've realised that people who compare Guardiola and Mourinho have it wrong. They are both incredible coaches, possibly the best two of the modern day, but that is where the similarities end. Guardiola is a perfectionist, a master tactician. Mourinho is a sort of hero.

People say that Guardiola is a coward. It is true that he always coaches teams with great players, but I think there is a simple reason for that. His tactics are so well-developed, so detailed, that they can only be implemented successfully by a group of world-class players. Yes, his teams are good, to the point that a few years back I used to say Barca would win everything even without a coach, and I'm sure people say that about Bayern today. But he does manage to take a team to the next level. I don't think anyone else could have improved this Bayern side after last season, but I am of the opinion that Guardiola has done so. The same could be said for Barcelona, who despite keeping more or less the same squad seem to have struggled after he left. He's also the only coach who's managed to keep a team successful after winning the CL in recent years. Inter, Chelsea, Man United, Milan, Liverpool... they have all fallen to mediocrity. Only Barcelona have remained there, and it seems like Bayern will do so too.

He is not the kind of coach who is expected to take control of an average team and make it world-class. That is Mourinho's job. Mourinho went to Inter when they hadn't done well in Europe for many decades. He went to Real Madrid, who had not won the league for several years and had not made it even to the QFs of the CL in a very long time. He went to Chelsea who had played in the Europa League the previous season. And he made them all better. That is who Mourinho is. The two, in my opinion, are not comparable.

I think that the Balague biography may change your views that Guardiola "always coaches teams with great players". It isn't entirely wrong - and he has coached only three teams, if we include the Barcelona reserves - but Balague describes at length how the Barcelona teams were not in good shape at all when Guardiola took over.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 am

Badger wrote:I think that the Balague biography may change your views that Guardiola "always coaches teams with great players". It isn't entirely wrong - and he has coached only three teams, if we include the Barcelona reserves - but Balague describes at length how the Barcelona teams were not in good shape at all when Guardiola took over.

Well I don't know about Barcelona B, but the senior team was not the same team Guardiola had and he did change a lot immediately, as he did with Bayern after all (Thiago, Gotze, Rafinha, formation). But I don't think anyone can say they were not already one of the strongest teams in Europe with a lot of quality players.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:27 pm

Pep compared to Einstein by bild [source]
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:36 am

In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Rummenigge feels that Guardiola will make the club into a perennial powerhouse for years to come.

“We had a very successful season last year, winning the treble, but with the arrival of Pep came something additional with quality, I’d say.

“I’d say he’s born to work in favour of Bayern. I’m watching sometimes 15 to 20 minutes in training sessions, and this quality he’s giving in favour of the team is impressive to all of us.

“He’s a fantastic coach and guy. We believe it’s a fantastic story, what he is doing.” [source]
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Rummenigge: ‘He is obsessed about football, always thinking, “What can I do new?” to surprise the opponents - or to surprise his own team.

‘That I believe is very interesting. I have been in professional football for 40 years but I have never had a coach like him. He is completely different. We have had good coaches in the past, very successful ones. He is a different story in the positive sense.

‘The club are very stable off the pitch but we don’t want to be going up and down, as we had been over the last 10-15 years.

‘We want to go like Barcelona. Every year they were arriving in semi-finals, final of the Champions League - many times winning it. I said that is our aim.

‘I told him we didn’t want to wait 12 years to win it again. I believe he is the right guy. I can tell you we are very happy with him.’ [source]
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Firefox1234 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Another great article by Honigstein! =D>

Bayern Munich: five things Pep Guardiola has done to improve them [source]

Spoiler: show
1 He keeps his opponents guessing

Under Louis van Gaal, the godfather of Bayern's possession game and Jupp Heynckes, his more pragmatic and tactically refined successor, it was easy to predict Bayern's lineups. They always formed-up in a 4-2-3-1, changes were always injury-enforced, and both coaches would simply try to find replacements that would most closely resemble the properties of the missing regulars. Under Guardiola, that kind of certainty has largely gone out of the window. Only the back-four are settled. Philipp Lahm's transformation into a holding midfielder seems to have become permanent but it's still possible that the captain will find himself back in the right-back role later this season. Javier Martínez, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thiago Alcântara and Toni Kroos are all vying for places in midfield and have been used in different roles. Further upfield, the injured Franck Ribéry and Arjen Robben have remained untouchable, but the two central attacking slots are being changed every game, in accordance with the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.

2. Continuous innovation through micro-management

Guardiola's football philosophy is based on dominating possession, creating a constant numerical advantage in midfield and aggressive pressing. The 43-year-old has not been afraid to deviate from his principles when necessary. In the 3-0 win at Borussia Dortmund in November he ordered his centre-backs to play long balls out of defence to escape Borussia's high-pressing. Martínez, the team's ball-winner, was stationed high up behind the striker Mario Mandzukic to win the headers and to put pressure on the opposition's midfield. This destructive ploy worked well and both Dortmund's and Bayern's passing rhythm was thoroughly disrupted. Guardiola reverted to a "false nine" system midway through the second half, to exploit the spaces that were beginning to open up.

Smaller and more subtle tweaks are constantly being employed before and during matches. Xavier Sala-i-Martín, a professor of economics and a former Barcelona treasurer, has compared Guardiola's "continuous innovation" to the highly-flexible production process of Spanish retailer Zara. Zara's collections are more expensive to produce than those of rival chains but change much more frequently, in line with trends or micro-trends. Both Zara's and Bayern's output is still defined by a grand framework but within that, flexibility is just as important: employing the appropriate micro-tactics for any given situation takes precedent over dogma.

3 Shows no fear when mixing-up play

Last season, Heynckes had one move that he would repeat again and again. As soon as Bayern were in front in a big match, Luiz Gustavo would come on as a second holding midfielder in place of the central midfielder, with Schweinsteiger moving up into the vacated No10 position. There was no need to come up with any different ideas because this one worked beautifully, all the way to the Champions League win at Wembley.

Guardiola, like Van Gaal before him, is much more radical and pro-active on the touchline. He frequently changes players, positions and formations in the middle of a match if he feels that the opposition has found a way to deal with the initial plan. Lahm ended up playing four different positions in the 4-1 win against Mainz. Guardiola's interventionism often impacts negatively on the flow of Bayern's football – too many changes can make them disjointed – but they tend to get the job done.

4 Has reshaped the attack to offer three options

Providing Guardiola with a midfielder who could play as a withdrawn striker through the middle cost Bayern €37m (£30.3m) and a lot of goodwill from neutrals, who felt the move was both vindictive towards Dortmund as well as a bit of overkill. With time, it has become apparent why the Catalan wanted Mario Götze (or a Götze-type player): playing the 21-year-old instead of an orthodox striker has made it much easier for the treble winners to break down negative opponents who defend in a "medium-to-low block" (as André Villas-Boas would have it) near their own penalty box. Götze can dribble past players or go wide to overload areas occupied by the wingers, and he helps Bayern control the tempo and the ball by falling deep, as well.

In addition, Guardiola has fielded Thomas Müller, initially a striker who was converted into a free-roaming or wide midfielder, in the Götze role, most successfully in the 3-1 win at Manchester City. Müller, hard to define at the best of times, has interpreted the role slightly more like a forward, in terms of positioning; as a slightly less false nine, if you will. The Peru veteran Claudio Pizarro would also fit that bill, owing to this propensity to go deep and join up with the buildup play. As a result, there are three different ways in which the sharp end of Bayern's attack can take shape.

5 Makes the most out of weaknesses

Bayern are a little lop-sided in the wide defensive positions. David Alaba, who plays in midfield for Austria, is fast, technically proficient and phenomenal. Rafinha, his Brazilian counterpart, on the other hand, is solid rather than spectacular and often looks like the team's weak link. Guardiola came up with an idea that would play to their respective strengths and their weaknesses: he ordered them up the pitch but infield, closer to the centre-circle than to the touchline. In possession, Bayern had even more options in the centre of the pitch. Opposition wingers were unsure whether to move inside too or to protect the space in front of their full-backs. More possession – and specifically more central possession – has brought out the best in Alaba but also reduced the risk of Rafinha being isolated on the right. In recent games, the full-backs were playing in a more orthodox fashion again but it proved a very useful ploy in the first half of the season.
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion