You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Postby JANCKER » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Valkress wrote:Roberto di Matteo was not a great manager...

Just as great as Pep... it was a team effort that of Chelsea, he had little influence or no influence at all...

And you if you think that our players needed the special help of Pep to beat the likes of Darmstadt and Ingolstadt, belittling our players then...
Cu' pecura si fa, lupu su' mancia.
JANCKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby Valkress » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:59 pm

JANCKER wrote:
Valkress wrote:Roberto di Matteo was not a great manager...

Just as great as Pep... it was a team effort that of Chelsea, he had little influence or no influence at all...

And you if you think that our players needed the special help of Pep to beat the likes of Darmstadt and Ingolstadt, belittling our players then...

I specifically didn't talk about him at Bayern because of the controversy about whether or not he succeeded here :wink:
Valkress
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
Belgium

Postby Jorge » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Valkress wrote:
Well, guess what, without the quality players, it's impossible to win competitions while playing beautiful football, the only possibility is parking the bus (and a lot of chance).

But this precisely the problem: passing the ball endlessly around is for many of us as boring as parking the bus and bursting forward with counterattacks 4 or 5 times per game, actually counterattacking football is more exiting than possession football (although my preference is a mix of all of the above). In the beauty department we did not excel under Pep, compare that to Heynckes style or Klopp when Dormund was at its best.

And for the winning competitions what did Bayern win with Pep?
1) The Bundesliga and the Pokal? We could have done that with 10 other managers due to the specific circumstances of the last 3 years.
2) Reaching the Semifinal in the Champions League? In an era where the big English Clubs and Italian Clubs are not around? The only meaningful competition that we had was Real Madrid and Barcelona and they TRASHED Pep and remember just a year before with another coach we TRASHED them. Even Atletico proved to be too much for Pep Guardiola.

I do not know if this signature phrase is copyrighted but: Pep, thanks for nothing!
Last edited by Jorge on Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby #12 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Everybody needs to buy players... But what he's doing is not buying players, it's buying a squad...
His luck at Barcelona was that they had a great class... He still changed a lot - but he did inherit no team of cripples either... ;) And he didn't do a bad job at Barcelona (neither did he here, he just didn't make use of the possibilities...)
I'm not saying he has no clue... But he is given WAAAAAYYYY too much credit!
I mean, if YOU were manager at a club where money plays no role, and you had some sort of pulling power - I doubt you'd fail to put together a decent side that could do well in all competitions...
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Jorge » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:22 pm

#12 wrote:But what he's doing is not buying players, it's buying a squad...

FIFA 16
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby prasun77 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:50 pm

In the end I think Pep was not among the worst but maybe the 5th or 6th best manager for Bayern (after Hitzfield,Heynckes,Lattek,Cramer...and Ancelotti? :lol: :lol: )

Anyways that's not good enough he should have ended up on top of the pile hat's what was expected of him..
And yes I am judging solely based on the important trophies(Telekom cup and Audi cup don't count) that we won.
Bayernaholic!
prasun77
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby Jorge » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:51 pm

prasun77 wrote:In the end I think Pep was not among the worst but maybe the 5th or 6th best manager for Bayern (after Hitzfield,Heynckes,Lattek,Cramer...and Ancelotti? :lol: :lol: )

Anyways that's not good enough he should have ended up on top of the pile hat's what was expected of him..
And yes I am judging solely based on the important trophies(Telekom cup and Audi cup don't count) that we won.

Based on pure numbers it could be the case but reality is completely different.

There is no question that Udo Lattek, Ottmar Hitzfeld and Jupp Heynckes by far take the Top 3, then everything is relative and questionable.

Pep Guardiola came in an era of financial disparity between Bayern and the rest of the BL that winning the BL wasn't the monumental task that was in the 70's or 80's or even the 90's. The simple test is to take Bayern's bench in any of the last 4-5 seasons and field it against an average opponent. You will see that it is still competitive, if you do that with a Bayern team of 20, 30 or 40 years ago it will get creamed.

On the other hand, being European Champion in the Champions League Era is much harder than in the 70's when the competition included only the champion of each league (European Cup) As a reference to win in 1974 Bayern had to beat the likes of Åtvidaberg, Dynamo Dresden and CSKA Sofia for the right to meet Újpesti Dózsa in the Semifinal before At. Madrid in the Final.
In 1975 it was about the same with Magdeburg and Ararat Yerevan before reaching the SF versus an excellent St. Etienne and then the Final versus Leeds United while in 1976 there was a little bit of more meaningful competition with Malmo, Benfica and Real Madrid before the final against St. Etienne.

So, is it fair to measure Dettmar Cramer's success based on the circumstances? In reality he had 3 or 4 big games to account for while the rest was a kind of manageable if we put it in the context that in the BL he couldn't keep up with Monchengladbach or Hamburger. And we are talking about a coach that brought us 2 European Crowns.

On the same token, Felix Magath for example coached Bayern at a time when the European landscape was crowded with big Italian and English Clubs besides the two Spanish Clubs, 3 if you look at the consistency of Valencia back then, and that's precisely why we got knocked out of the round of 16 by an AC Milan with more resources than Magath's Bayern. If we go down the list of casualties in the round of 16 that year, Real Madrid lost to Arsenal, Ajax to Inter, Chelsea to Barcelona, back then it was much harder to advance just one round and it was brutal to go all the way. This was not the case in Pep's era at Bayern when other than Bayern there was basically only Real and Barca as consistent powerhouses and both proved to be too much for Guardiola.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby FCB general » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:58 am

Jorge wrote:
prasun77 wrote:In the end I think Pep was not among the worst but maybe the 5th or 6th best manager for Bayern (after Hitzfield,Heynckes,Lattek,Cramer...and Ancelotti? :lol: :lol: )

Based on pure numbers it could be the case but reality is completely different.

There is no question that Udo Lattek, Ottmar Hitzfeld and Jupp Heynckes by far take the Top 3, then everything is relative and questionable.

Pep Guardiola came in an era of financial disparity between Bayern and the rest of the BL that winning the BL wasn't the monumental task that was in the 70's or 80's or even the 90's. The simple test is to take Bayern's bench in any of the last 4-5 seasons and field it against an average opponent. You will see that it is still competitive, if you do that with a Bayern team of 20, 30 or 40 years ago it will get creamed.

On the other hand, being European Champion in the Champions League Era is much harder than in the 70's when the competition included only the champion of each league (European Cup) As a reference to win in 1974 Bayern had to beat the likes of Åtvidaberg, Dynamo Dresden and CSKA Sofia for the right to meet Újpesti Dózsa in the Semifinal before At. Madrid in the Final.
In 1975 it was about the same with Magdeburg and Ararat Yerevan before reaching the SF versus an excellent St. Etienne and then the Final versus Leeds United while in 1976 there was a little bit of more meaningful competition with Malmo, Benfica and Real Madrid before the final against St. Etienne.

So, is it fair to measure Dettmar Cramer's success based on the circumstances? In reality he had 3 or 4 big games to account for while the rest was a kind of manageable if we put it in the context that in the BL he couldn't keep up with Monchengladbach or Hamburger. And we are talking about a coach that brought us 2 European Crowns.

On the same token, Felix Magath for example coached Bayern at a time when the European landscape was crowded with big Italian and English Clubs besides the two Spanish Clubs, 3 if you look at the consistency of Valencia back then, and that's precisely why we got knocked out of the round of 16 by an AC Milan with more resources than Magath's Bayern. If we go down the list of casualties in the round of 16 that year, Real Madrid lost to Arsenal, Ajax to Inter, Chelsea to Barcelona, back then it was much harder to advance just one round and it was brutal to go all the way. This was not the case in Pep's era at Bayern when other than Bayern there was basically only Real and Barca as consistent powerhouses and both proved to be too much for Guardiola.

Like always! =D> :cheers: :thumbup:
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby prasun77 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:17 pm

Bayernaholic!
prasun77
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby ottackon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:38 pm

ottackon

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby ottackon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:42 pm

ottackon

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby vigneshFCB » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:53 pm

A man of true scientific intellect.
vigneshFCB
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:16 pm

he is right.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Thiagoalcantara » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:47 pm

Man City has transformed into a Pep team within a very short amount of time.

Nolito has been a great signing for them, whileas Stones and Sane not so great, especially Sane (however, I will give him the benefit of the doubt because of injury) Sterling, Silva and KDB all have been top players in the EPL and Aguero is scoring well, even though he missed like 4 pks already this season. Otemendi has been England's best CB and Bravo the best goalkeeper.

With Gabriel coming in january, Pep will have a good balance of young players and veterans.

Next summer will be the interesting part.

Pep is doing a better job than I expected
Thiagoalcantara
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby Dumbledore7 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:55 pm

He's definitely finding English football to be his easiest job yet, by far.
Dumbledore7
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion