You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Postby Firefox1234 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:54 pm

I kinda felt Pep was a scapegoat for some bad luck and poor individual performances by on the defensive side. We didn't win the treble but there was still quality football being played.
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby nm462272 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:03 pm

it always seemed to me like something was "off" during Pep's Bayern tenure... everything never quite clicked the way it should have. It also seemed like the passion was gone... but I guess that is to be expected after giving everything during the Treble season
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby endrity » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:30 pm

nm462272 wrote:it always seemed to me like something was "off" during Pep's Bayern tenure... everything never quite clicked the way it should have. It also seemed like the passion was gone... but I guess that is to be expected after giving everything during the Treble season

I agree with that, there always was some tension it seemed between fans, players and him as well. Maybe he could not bear the expectations, maybe the players were not fully convinced, but as crazy as it sounds given the league titles, it never really clicked.
endrity
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby nm462272 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:41 pm

always felt the same about Götze too... like it never quite clicked...
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

nm462272
I post all the time

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby endrity » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:51 pm

True, he could never get a whole stretch of games where he was starting at more or less the same position.
endrity
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby fashiondesign_guru » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:56 am

nm462272 wrote:it always seemed to me like something was "off" during Pep's Bayern tenure... everything never quite clicked the way it should have. It also seemed like the passion was gone... but I guess that is to be expected after giving everything during the Treble season

Yes, in my opinion it has something to do with the treble. It has nothing to do with high line or lining up 4-1-4-1 instead of 4-2-3-1. A manager's success largely depends on the persuasion of his players of the way he wants them to play. Look at Klopp and Pochettino. Those are both managers who want and do well with young players, not because they idolize youth or whatever, but first because it's partly because of the way they play, because they need the energy, because they're high pressing teams, and also they need people with malleable minds, people that they can persuade to play the way they want them to play. And partly because when those coaches became successful, it was when they took over a club in an unsuccessful period where there were young players who needed direction, who were hungry, and who were primed to be persuaded.

You can apply the same to Thomas Tuchel.

Now, back to Pep. When he took over Barcelona, he took over a team that finished the league table in 3rd place, 18 or so points behind Real Madrid and he quickly shipped out players like Deco, Ronaldinho, then Yaya and finally Eto'o, and in the process he also shipped out Ibrahimovic. He worked his magic with players who were in general young or failed but players who respected and idolized him and he persuaded them to train and play the way he wanted them to play. He had full authority and confidence of players.

When he took over a Bayern, he took over a team who have already won everything there was to win the previous season, the players already knew everything, they didn't need to learn anything new, they were overconfident. It's in Pep Confidential that the players told him they wanted to beat RM with their own tactic and we all know how it went down. It wasn't relaxed for the past 3 years, it was a lot of interesting good football but too much tension and drama and despair.

That's why players now seem more relaxed with and ready to be persuaded again. They have failed for 3 seasons, they don't know everything anymore. Pep's timing of appointment wasn't right, after the treble the expectations were too much for that treble. And it seems Pep didn't have full authority or control over his team.

With Ancelotti, timing is right. If you remember, the first thing Ancelotti said when he was asked how the team will play, he said he's not here to make a revolution but he will introduce his ideas and try to persuade the players. Pep and Klopp said the same thing in England.
fashiondesign_guru
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby Argeta » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:49 am

Pep benched Müller and kept subbing him off in the biggest games, that alone is a reason to ban him from this club.
Argeta
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby ottackon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:41 am

Paul Breitner has praised Guardiola on his three years in Bavaria

''Pep gave Bayern its most beautiful, attractive and best football the club has ever seen.

'I am not judging him on what Bayern did in the Champions League, but on his legacy. And his legacy is amazing. Pep launched the third stage of a multistage rocket at Bayern.

'Louis van Gaal ignited the first stage by bringing his possession-based philosophy to the club. Jupp [Heynckes] then added movement to that philosophy during the second stage. Nobody could predict what would happen anymore.

And then Pep perfected matters by bringing even more flexibility and pace. He used the foundation laid by his two predecessors and perfected matters.'

http://www.tz.de/sport/fc-bayern/paul-b ... 26496.html
ottackon
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby #12 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:10 pm

I for one think: losing against the first on-par-opposition we meet is pretty predictable

I don't know why they keep fighting for his reputation so much...
He's gone! He was NOT special for this club... Say all you want, it's not gonna change...
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:22 pm

#12 wrote:I don't know why they keep fighting for his reputation so much...

This. Whether we think he was good or not, there's no longer any need to protect him just like there's no need to protect Gotze or anyone. No need to respond to comments like KHR did with Ribery.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby nm462272 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Exactly. And to top it off, they care much, much less about you than you do about them.

Pep: left Bayern for a plastic club that will give him endless funds (both personally and for players)

Götze: never even acknowledged the Bayern fanbase that stood by him for three years, let alone thank them

nm462272
I post all the time

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Jorge » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:50 pm

nm462272 wrote:Götze: never even acknowledged the Bayern fanbase that stood by him for three years, let alone thank them

Götze got what he deserved, same as KHR who offered Guardiola "the German Messi".

Götze never said that he was coming to Bayern because he loved the club, even when some rushed to point out that he was born in Munich. Götze repeatedly said that he was leaving Dortmund because he wanted to play for Pep.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby nm462272 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:55 pm

AFAIK, Pep wanted Neymar instead of Götze... he must have not been familiar with Bayern's spending habits :)

nm462272
I post all the time

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby #12 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:21 pm

... which is why he left for a club that will be announcing their sixth transfer this week... Yeah, he's so great at improving Teams and players... Or, you know, he's just a real life version of a fiotball manager game...
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Valkress » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:33 pm

Ahah, I love this kind of argument against managers (not only Pep but it applies really well to him). If they win competitions without buying players, they don't get the credit because the team was already in place and great (argument against Pep about his time at Barca). When they gi to a lesser team (in Pep's case, City) and improve it with new players (well that's not yet sure that they will improve in city's case), they still don't get the credit because it was easy to do so with all the transfers...

Well, guess what, without the quality players, it's impossible to win competitions while playing beautiful football, the only possibility is parking the bus (and a lot of chance).

And still, I think we all agree that Roberto di Matteo was not a great manager...
Valkress
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
Belgium

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion