You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Pep Guardiola [Josep Guardiola i Sala]

Postby FCB general » Mon May 11, 2015 8:56 am

RedQueen wrote:f I recall the much cited Pep Confidential correctly, he doesn't do stamina training except for players coming back from injuries. I read an article the other day that I unfortunately can't find anymore saying that it was the same at Barca. He thinks extreme training with the ball will achieve the same results.

"Wenig laufen, mehr denken." That's what I read in this season in one sportbild.de headline.

In Germany you can forget that. :lol:
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby ramsej84 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:38 am

actually that is true... When I used to train football... we had coaches with these theories... that if you run with the ball is somehow better than just run...So there is some truth in it...
Sprinting with the ball is more effective.
By the way in 2001 we used to play 4-2-3-1 I might be wrong but if I am not mistaken no team used that tactic at that time.
In fact when we first saw it we were like :-s
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:44 am

I have a feeling that the players aren't really behind him any more ...
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bayernbazi » Mon May 11, 2015 10:24 am

FCB general wrote:
RedQueen wrote:f I recall the much cited Pep Confidential correctly, he doesn't do stamina training except for players coming back from injuries. I read an article the other day that I unfortunately can't find anymore saying that it was the same at Barca. He thinks extreme training with the ball will achieve the same results.

"Wenig laufen, mehr denken." That's what I read in this season in one sportbild.de headline.

In Germany you can forget that. :lol:

Then that may as well explain most of the ongoing friction with the medical team. So it happened during his first season and he persisted with that practice again during this season until it got worse. This year there was the World Cup to blame but I think that is a shallow excuse when one considers that this doesn't happen elsewhere. Right after 2006 WC won by Italy and 2010 WC won by Spain, Milan and Barcelona won the CL title respectively.
Bayernbazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby fashiondesign_guru » Mon May 11, 2015 10:54 am

RedQueen wrote:
FCB&Paulaner wrote: We lack fitness that's obvious. It's a mystery to me how this has happened ...

If I recall the much cited Pep Confidential correctly, he doesn't do stamina training except for players coming back from injuries. I read an article the other day that I unfortunately can't find anymore saying that it was the same at Barca. He thinks extreme training with the ball will achieve the same results. Maybe it suffices in Spain, but not in the Bundesliga, where there's much more running (although at Barca, the article said, they've gone back to more physical training since his departure).

Magath, for what it's worth, has recently chimed into the discussion and as you can imagine, he's blaming much of the trouble, including the injury situation, on training methods being too lax and not placing enough importance on fitness.

But his Barcelona was one of the fittest and most viciously pressing teams in the world at the time and they didn't have that run of injuries. As for the injuries, yes it could be due to his methods, but then again, Klopp does stamina and sprint training yet his Dortmund team was plagued with the same ridiculous run of injuries for the past two years (nevermind the one dimensional counterattacking approach with no plan B for when the opponents parked the bus).

As for Magath, yeah I'm sure his medicine ball drills and early morning runs are the thing that Bayern needs now. Forget about tactical versatility or modern football, just run run and run some more.
Last edited by fashiondesign_guru on Mon May 11, 2015 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
fashiondesign_guru
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Bayernbazi » Mon May 11, 2015 10:56 am

So according to TZ, Pep is saying that on his part he plans to fulfil his contracted period.

At this point I am absolutely neutral about all this. But if the club decides to keep their part of the contract (which I think they will), he should look and learn from his past failures because as some ancient wise person once said "To err is human, but to persevere in error is only the act of a fool"
I am still waiting for his genius to show up when it really matters in this part of the season.

With this I don't know what will happen at the end of the coming season but I wish that things are really straightened out and we don't end up collecting the debris as someone else put it.
Bayernbazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby RedQueen » Mon May 11, 2015 11:05 am

fashiondesign_guru wrote:But his Barcelona was one of the fittest and most viciously pressing teams in the world at the time and they didn't have that run of injuries.

Then why did they go back to more fitness training after he left?

As for the injuries, yes it could be due to his methods, but then again, Klopp does stamina and sprint training yet his Dortmund team was plagued with the same ridiculous run of injuries for the past two years

And Dortmund's training methods have been questioned likewise.

As for Magath, yeah I'm sure his medicine ball drills and early morning runs are the thing that Bayern needs now. Forget about tactical versatility or modern football, just run run and run some more.

Don't think anyone suggested that. The discussion was about the possible reasons for the injuries.
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:09 am

But if he stays for the last yr in his contract... what will happen to the new acquisitions? Don't you think that we will find some problems in getting new players? If I were a player I would think twice before making a move to Bayern, knowing that there will be a change in the coach as early as from the next season.
I'don't like this situation at all -there is no stability; I compare it to Government which has no trust from the Parliament... or a Prime Minister with no trust from his cabinet.
He either extend and commit himself or else ciao
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Mon May 11, 2015 11:10 am

fashiondesign_guru wrote:As for Magath, yeah I'm sure his medicine ball drills and early morning runs are the thing that Bayern needs now. Forget about tactical versatility or modern football, just run run and run some more.

In all fairness, Magath would make the world's best fitness coach. The only problem with him is that he wants to be head coach.

The Peter Principle is a concept in management theory in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence."
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby fashiondesign_guru » Mon May 11, 2015 11:27 am

RedQueen wrote:Then why did they go back to more fitness training after he left?

Because they got a different coach with different ideas.

And Dortmund's training methods have been questioned likewise.

And so was Van Gaal's this year when he had the same run of injuries at Manchester United. The only guy who seems to get away without his methods being questioned is Arsene Wenger, whose team has this run of injuries every year.

Thing is, we have to look at who's injured and for what.

You can't blame Alaba's injury on Pep, some guy fell on his leg during an international match with Austria.
You can't blame Badstuber on Pep when Badstuber's been getting injured forever.
Martinez? He had ACL, a crappy injury.
Lewandowski? His face was broken by Langerak, hardly on Pep.
Thiago- I looked at transfermarkt and he has a history of long injuries even at Barcelona.

Now, we have Ribery (32 years old), Robben (31 years old), Schweinsteiger (31 years old) that we can discuss.

Don't think anyone suggested that. The discussion was about the possible reasons for the injuries.

I know I was just taking a jab at Magath, couldn't resist :)
fashiondesign_guru
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby quaazi » Mon May 11, 2015 11:35 am

RedQueen wrote:Don't think anyone suggested that. The discussion was about the possible reasons for the injuries.

Are we still on this? I think someone proved a month ago how our proportion of muscle injuries (which are the result of hard pressing without sufficient physical fitness) is actually really low. As said, it's not on Pep if Lewa gets his face smacked in et al.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby RedQueen » Mon May 11, 2015 11:44 am

fashiondesign_guru wrote:
RedQueen wrote:Thing is, we have to look at who's injured and for what.

You can't blame Alaba's injury on Pep, some guy fell on his leg during an international match with Austria.
You can't blame Badstuber on Pep when Badstuber's been getting injured forever.
Martinez? He had ACL, a crappy injury.
Lewandowski? His face was broken by Langerak, hardly on Pep.
Thiago- I looked at transfermarkt and he has a history of long injuries even at Barcelona.

Now, we have Ribery (32 years old), Robben (31 years old), Schweinsteiger (31 years old) that we can discuss.

We had a lot more than that this season. We had Benatia with recurring injuries, Alaba was injured twice, Starke was injured twice, Reina was injured, Lahm was injured, Boateng had muscular problems a couple of times, Rode was out with a muscle tear, and I don't even recall what other short-term injuries happened in the first half of the season. All in all, according to a recently published report, there were only 7 players in the squad who weren't injured this season. 202 games missed, an average of 6.3 players per match had to be replaced. Only Dortmund was slightly worse off.

There's two things that have me concerned. One is, are the training methods part of the reason for the injury crisis, and the second is, are players rushed back into action before they've been sufficiently healed (especially Badstuber, Robben lately). I don't know whether you've heard it, a few weeks ago Guardiola was interviewed in ZDF Sportstudio and he said that if the doctor says a player will be back in 8 weeks, then he wants him back in 6 weeks, and if the doctor says a player will be back in 4 weeks, then he wants him back in 3 weeks. That drew a lot of criticism in the German media, and I'm worried about it too.

baazi wrote:Are we still on this? I think someone proved a month ago how our proportion of muscle injuries (which are the result of hard pressing without sufficient physical fitness) is actually really low. As said, it's not on Pep if Lewa gets his face smacked in et al.

It's not just about muscle injuries, but also about ligament tearments. A player is more likely to fall unluckily and injure himself if he is exhausted or not fully fit.
Last edited by RedQueen on Mon May 11, 2015 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Bayernbazi » Mon May 11, 2015 11:45 am

ramsej84 wrote:But if he stays for the last yr in his contract... what will happen to the new acquisitions? Don't you think that we will find some problems in getting new players? If I were a player I would think twice before making a move to Bayern, knowing that there will be a change in the coach as early as from the next season.
I'don't like this situation at all -there is no stability; I compare it to Government which has no trust from the Parliament... or a Prime Minister with no trust from his cabinet.
He either extend and commit himself or else ciao

If the club decides to go on with his contract then it's useless arguing in favour or against. We can only hope that if they decide to keep his system, in the absence of Uli there is enough common sense to plan for the future and from all this they try to get him to extend.
In the short term however we need to bring back the respect of European big guns to Bayern back. Being a kitten next to Real Madrid instead of the good old Bestia Negra will not get you the best players either. This also depends on whether the current players are really hungry for more success as well.
Sometimes when there is success it will make many problems settle down (less poison from the media), remember the devil we all made of Robben in 2012, how we wanted his head at the time but that looked like it never existed a year later.
Bayernbazi
I post all the time

Postby RAJBAYERN » Mon May 11, 2015 11:47 am

MUTU wrote:
fashiondesign_guru wrote:As for Magath, yeah I'm sure his medicine ball drills and early morning runs are the thing that Bayern needs now. Forget about tactical versatility or modern football, just run run and run some more.

In all fairness, Magath would make the world's best fitness coach. The only problem with him is that he wants to be head coach.

But he was the head coach, the problem with him was his military mind that could bring problems.

Remember when he used to punish our players, forcing them to run in the cold night, for every losses during the crisis :lol: it was an horror experience.
Super-Bayern! Super-Bayern! Hey! Hey!

DANKE JUPP!
RAJBAYERN
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby fashiondesign_guru » Mon May 11, 2015 12:41 pm

RedQueen wrote:We had a lot more than that this season. We had Benatia with recurring injuries, Alaba was injured twice, Starke was injured twice, Reina was injured, Lahm was injured, Boateng had muscular problems a couple of times, Rode was out with a muscle tear, and I don't even recall what other short-term injuries happened in the first half of the season.

All in all, according to a recently published report, there were only 7 players in the squad who weren't injured this season. 202 games missed, an average of 6.3 players per match had to be replaced. Only Dortmund was slightly worse off.

Lahm's foot was broken during a challenge in training.
Alaba had the same knee ligament injury during the match. Well, these are performance athletes, injuries will happen. Some will be injured more than the others, like Benatia has a history injuries even in his previous clubs, while Dante, who's considerably older, doesn't get injuries. Götze missed the CL final against us because of a lengthy injury, but Müller never gets injured.

I agree that Robben was unnecessarily rushed, but we think this way because Robben came in and we lost control of the match during the 12 minutes he was on the pitch (and after Thiago was taken out) and conceded a goal. Then he got injured again, and we ended up losing both the final and Robben. So now we think Robben was rushed and injured again, and Pep's bad tactics cost us the match.

But this is after the fact. We didn't think that way when he was coming in the game.

I find all these fitness problems just as suspicious, don't get me wrong, but it's not like this guy is out there working with some voodoo people doing voodoo things, he has a full staff of professionals working with him, including Hermann Gerland.

There's two things that have me concerned. One is, are the training methods part of the reason for the injury crisis, and the second is, are players rushed back into action before they've been sufficiently healed (especially Badstuber, Robben lately). I don't know whether you've heard it, a few weeks ago Guardiola was interviewed in ZDF Sportstudio and he said that if the doctor says a player will be back in 8 weeks, then he wants him back in 6 weeks, and if the doctor says a player will be back in 4 weeks, then he wants him back in 3 weeks. That drew a lot of criticism in the German media, and I'm worried about it too.

I'm just as split as many people are. I'm more like 60-40, leaning towards Pep, but I also have reservations of my own. I find certain things questionable myself too, not just fitness related but other things..

It's not just about muscle injuries, but also about ligament tearments. A player is more likely to fall unluckily and injure himself if he is exhausted or not fully fit.

But there is also fact that this was a post-world cup season.
Last edited by fashiondesign_guru on Mon May 11, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fashiondesign_guru
I'm a chatterbox!

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion