You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Paul Breitner

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Paul Breitner

Postby lau03143 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:52 pm

I was looking for a topic on Paul Breitner, but couldn't find one, so just created one. Mods, if there is one that I haven't found, can you move my post?

Anyway, I just saw this interview with Breitner on Goal.com. He certainly is a character!

http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germany/2012/08/01/3281286/breitner-dortmunds-humility-is-childish

Bayern Munich legend Paul Breitner has labelled Borussia Dortmund "childish" over their alleged persistence in downplaying their hopes of winning the Bundesliga this season because of their desire to go beyond the group stages of the Champions League.

The two-time defending Bundesliga champions were out of European competition by the winter break last year and are determined to make amends this time around.

Breitner, though, does not buy into the suggestion that their hopes of winning a third successive title should necessarily suffer as a consequence.

"It is childish," the former West Germany international told Eurosport. "I am sure that Dortmund would rethink their stance very quickly if they got to hear what all the other sides thought. People, stop with this childishness, it's ridiculous!

"I expect that they [Dortmund] will still be involved in Europe in the second half of the season. Dortmund will not be able to bow out of the Champions League with a whimper this time."

For that very reason, Breitner believes that the playing field will be levelled in this year's battle for the Bundesliga, alluding to the fact that Bayern Munich were involved in Europe's premier club cup competition right up until the final.

"Therefore, you will see this season who is really No.1 [in Germany] and not only who is No.1 due to lack of games, but the No.1 over a decent season, with many games in the Champions League."
Breitner, who also represented Real Madrid during his illustrious playing career, enjoyed two separate stints with Bayern.

I wouldn't call it childish, rather modesty as I'm sure Dortmund would be quietly confident this season... though I would say he's got a point (the bits I've highlighted in Bold) about this season being a truer test of who's actually the best football team, given that Bayern played a lot more games last season.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Paul Breitner

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:09 pm

I really don't think the extra 6 games (7, but the final was played after the Bundesliga ended), 4 of which were against Basel and Marseille, are enough to justify an 8 point difference. If anything, advancing further in Europe should have been a morale booster for us. Admittedly though, we did play the title decider against Dortmund a week before a hard clash against Real Madrid.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby lau03143 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:21 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I really don't think the extra 6 games (7, but the final was played after the Bundesliga ended), 4 of which were against Basel and Marseille, are enough to justify an 8 point difference. If anything, advancing further in Europe should have been a morale booster for us. Admittedly though, we did play the title decider against Dortmund a week before a hard clash against Real Madrid.

It's the intensity of the games and when they're played in the season. It doesn't add up to many more games, but the effect on the players must be quite a bit.
who have come to
Munich as strangers
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:58 pm

lau03143 wrote:It's the intensity of the games and when they're played in the season. It doesn't add up to many more games, but the effect on the players must be quite a bit.

It's not like our players aren't used to it though. Actually, if both teams were to advance in Europe next season, I'd say we'd be at an advantage over Dortmund because most of their players aren't used to playing 2 games a week.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby BayernLove » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:02 pm

90 minutes are more than enough to weary both the body and soul alike.
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby DieRoten31 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:58 pm

BayernLove wrote:90 minutes are more than enough to weary both the body and soul alike.

Very poetic. :roll:
\
DieRoten31
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby BayernLove » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:00 pm

And true...
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby DieRoten31 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 pm

I know I agree with you. I feel that people underestimate how tiring playing 90 minutes of football is. Breitner has a good point and I don't think Dortmund will do as well this season. I hope. [-o<
\
DieRoten31
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby lau03143 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:40 am

lau03143 wrote:I was looking for a topic on Paul Breitner, but couldn't find one, so just created one. Mods, if there is one that I haven't found, can you move my post?

Anyway, I just saw this interview with Breitner on Goal.com. He certainly is a character!

http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germany/2012/08/01/3281286/breitner-dortmunds-humility-is-childish

Bayern Munich legend Paul Breitner has labelled Borussia Dortmund "childish" over their alleged persistence in downplaying their hopes of winning the Bundesliga this season because of their desire to go beyond the group stages of the Champions League.

The two-time defending Bundesliga champions were out of European competition by the winter break last year and are determined to make amends this time around.

Breitner, though, does not buy into the suggestion that their hopes of winning a third successive title should necessarily suffer as a consequence.

"It is childish," the former West Germany international told Eurosport. "I am sure that Dortmund would rethink their stance very quickly if they got to hear what all the other sides thought. People, stop with this childishness, it's ridiculous!

"I expect that they [Dortmund] will still be involved in Europe in the second half of the season. Dortmund will not be able to bow out of the Champions League with a whimper this time."

For that very reason, Breitner believes that the playing field will be levelled in this year's battle for the Bundesliga, alluding to the fact that Bayern Munich were involved in Europe's premier club cup competition right up until the final.

"Therefore, you will see this season who is really No.1 [in Germany] and not only who is No.1 due to lack of games, but the No.1 over a decent season, with many games in the Champions League."
Breitner, who also represented Real Madrid during his illustrious playing career, enjoyed two separate stints with Bayern.

I wouldn't call it childish, rather modesty as I'm sure Dortmund would be quietly confident this season... though I would say he's got a point (the bits I've highlighted in Bold) about this season being a truer test of who's actually the best football team, given that Bayern played a lot more games last season.

I suppose Paul was right :-D
who have come to
Munich as strangers
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby MUTU » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:33 pm

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Paul Breitner has cancelled his contract with FC Bayern after working with the club for ten years, according to Sport Bild

"That's true. I canceled my contract with FC Bayern at the end of the month. I have been doing my job with joy for ten years, it was wonderful. But now is the right time to stop. I took this decision deliberately and with full conviction."
aterford
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tflags » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:40 am

Wouldn't be the first time he's parted ways with the club. He had a fight with Uli a whiiiiile back didn't he?
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby aterford » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:44 am

I believe that's right. He also went on to say "I can now be 100% Paul Breitner now, I don't have to be afraid anymore"....whatever that means.
aterford
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion