You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Owen Hargreaves

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Man Utd boss: I wanted Hargreaves in Ruud swap

Postby MUTU » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson admits he would have liked Ruud van Nistelrooy to sign for Bayern Munich in order to secure a swap for Owen Hargreaves.

"We would have preferred Ruud to join Bayern because that might have helped with Owen's situation," admitted Ferguson.

"We have reached a bit of a deadlock but the boy wants to come to us, which helps and now we are trying to find a mechanism to get the deal done."

After watching Hargreaves star for England at Old Trafford in midweek, Ferguson added: "What we saw on Wednesday was not a surprise to me.

"We have known about Owen since we first came across him in Bayern's centenary match when he was only 18 or 19.

"On that night, he played on the right wing. When he played against us again he was at right-back. Now he is in a settled position, which he enjoys. He has started to mature and his performances in the World Cup emphasised that."

Although it is thought United would be willing to pay upwards of £15 million for Hargreaves, Ferguson expressed hope rather than confidence about the deal being done.

On the other hand, Bayern Munich are unwilling to let another of their midfielders leave. Ballack and Zé Roberto have both left the club on free transfers, while Jeremies hung up his boots at the end of last season. The only addition to Bayern's midfield is Stefan Fuerstner, who they promoted from their youth team.

Extracts taken from Tribalfootball.com
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

"We will not listen"

Postby podolski4life » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:52 pm

Bayern won't give up Hargreaves now. After Ballack and Ze Roberto left, Magath needs someone in the midfield to build around. And if they let Hargreaves leave, the team is pretty much messed up, cuz Ismael is gonna be sidelined for 6 months. Hoeness told Hargreaves and his agent that he will be finishing out his contract until 2010. Man U is allegedly offering Bayern 25 mil euros, but according to Hoeness, "I won't give him up even for 50 mil euros."
Hargreaves is from England, so I can see why he wants to go there. But I don't think he should go.
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: "We will not listen"

Postby MUTU » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:57 pm

podolski4life wrote:Hargreaves is from England, so I can see why he wants to go there.

As such he's from Canada. He was born and raised there, and then moved to Germany. He's never lived in England. As regards to Ismael, I think we can cope without him. Last season we only had Ismael and Lucio as pure central defenders. This season we've added Van Buyten. In case one of them is injured, Demichelis can step in.

I think Deisler's injury is much more depressing, especially when Magath is trying to build a new team.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby podolski4life » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:24 pm

so he's from canada. lol my bad.
august 31 is the trade deadline right? if bayern can hold on to him...
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:26 pm

One thing is clear to me: if Bayern do actually sell Hargreaves, they would desperately need a replacement. Four midfielders would have left compared to last season, and only Fuerstner's new, and he's from the youth team... hardly someone you can field from the start in an important Champions League match...
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby DemmahoM » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:16 pm

Hargreaves is going to be vital for us this season. But if they offer lets say Ronaldo for him then we shoud accept. :D
DemmahoM
Hey, I'm new here!

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:17 pm

Hehe :) How about both Rooney and Ronaldo?
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby kevh26 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:39 pm

well neither of those would happen,

and judging from his ommission from the matchday squad vs Bochum, I'd say his future is even more doubtful now
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby podolski4life » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:08 am

hargreaves was left out of the starting lineup because he came down with the flu at the last minute. rooney and ronaldo, eh?
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:09 am

podolski4life wrote:hargreaves was left out of the starting lineup because he came down with the flu at the last minute. rooney and ronaldo, eh?

Or maybe that's the reason they gave ;)
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Podolski » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:13 am

i think Hargreaves leave bayern , because Maghat don`t he played last mach with bouchom..

:( so, bye Hargreaves
Podolski
First post

Postby MUTU » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:17 am

Well, we'll wait and see. I believe he will remain.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby podolski4life » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:17 pm

Hoeness lays into Hargreaves

Hell hath no fury like Uli Hoeness – or so it seems. The Bayern Munich general manager has hit wantaway midfielder Owen Hargreaves with a 25000 euro fine for his comments to the press expressing his desire to leave the club and join Manchester United, according to German daily Bild.

The paper also claimed that Hoeness laid into the 25 year-old England international in a team meting, saying he is "prostituting himself out to Manchester United."

The news comes just two days after Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge threatened to report the English club to FIFA over their ongoing pursuit of the player.

Hargreaves is expected reiterate his desire to move to United and criticise his side for refusing to let him leave in a press conference on Wednesday afternoon.

podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Owen Hargreaves

Postby diegis » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:45 pm

OWEN AGENT RULES OUT UNITED MOVE

Owen Hargreaves' agent claims the England midfielder has "no chance" of joining Manchester United before the transfer window closes.

United are reportedly ready to pay £17million for the Bayern Munich player but the German club seem determined to retain him.

Hargreaves, 25, has expressed his interest in moving to Old Trafford but with just two days until the transfer window closes, his agent is not confident.

Roman Grill, quoted in the Daily Star, said: "There is no chance of the deal taking place.

"We have to accept there is no way Bayern will allow this transfer to happen.

"We did everything we could to grant Owen his wish to play for Manchester United but his only hope is that, if United remain interested in him, the deal could happen at a later date

Hargreaves is contracted until 2010 with the Bundesliga champions and they have insisted a number of times they will not be selling, despite signing Mark van Bommel from Barcelona.
diegis
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby CR7 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:24 pm

i dont understand why we won just sell him united offered a lot of money for our 3RD CHOICE midfielder
"I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat."
(RON ATKINSON)
CR7
Getting the hang of it

Next

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion