You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Mark van Bommel

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Mark van Bommel

Postby kevh26 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm

Finally, the signing we've been waiting for... although a three year contract means he's with us till he's 33 he'll definatly help us fill the void left by ballack... my new formation would have to be...

kahn

lucio, van buyten, ismael

schweini, hargreaves, demichelis, van bommel, deisler

makaay, podolski

(throw in lahm and sagnol, in exchange for ismael and demichelis when playing tougher oppostion)
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Mark van Bommel

Postby podolski4life » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:11 pm

Hargreaves to stay

Bayern sign midfield ace Mark van Bommel

With a week remaining before the summer transfer window closes, Bayern have pulled off a major transfer coup with the capture of powerful Netherlands midfielder Mark van Bommel, general manager Uli Hoeneß revealed ahead of kick-off in the German champions' Bundesliga meeting with Nuremberg on Saturday.

"We've finalised an agreement with Barcelona and with the player," Hoeneß announced. The 30-year-old schemer is due in Munich next week for a medical before putting his name to a three-year contract. Van Bommel moves for an undisclosed fee.

First outing in Cup cracker?

The Bayern board held a final round of talks with the player and his agent during Munich's trip to Barcelona for a friendly match last Tuesday. "We brought someone back with us from Barcelona," Hoeneß quipped. The Dutch international, who is eligible to appear in the Champions League for his new club, could make his debut for the Bavarians away to third division St. Pauli in the German Cup on 9 September.

"He's a real personality," Hoeneß commented. The 1.87 metre, 85 kilogramme midfield dynamo shot to prominence with PSV Eindhoven, winning the Dutch league four times and the domestic knockout Cup once. Van Bommel switched to Barcelona at the start of last season, collecting winners' medals in the Spanish championship and the Champions League in a triumphant campaign for the Catalan giants. "We definitely need a player of his quality," coach Felix Magath remarked.

Hargreaves staying put

Van Bommel's arrival concludes Bayern's transfer dealings for the summer, as Hoeneß reiterated the club would not allow Owen Hargreaves to leave. "We came to closure on the matter two weeks ago, and it's staying closed. Owen's staying with us. Alex Ferguson will have to cope without Owen Hargreaves," the general manager declared.

this is a major capture for bayern. hopefully van bommel fills in that gap in the midfield
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby CR7 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:22 pm

would have rather had borowski,but not bad
"I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat."
(RON ATKINSON)
CR7
Getting the hang of it

Postby podolski4life » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:48 pm

yeah borowski would have been nice, but looks like we got something out of that barca game after all.
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:29 am

I'd much rather have van Bommel. He's a personality and a leader.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:32 am

It's difficult to leave out Lahm and Sagnol. They are 2 of the world's very best full backs, the only 2 players we have that we can call world class.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby kevh26 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:06 am

borowski doesn't have the same sort of class as van bommel, this could prove a good good signing over the season
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby kevh26 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:07 am

not the only two.... I'd consider kahn, schweini, hargreaves and even demichelis world class
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:26 am

kevh26 wrote:not the only two.... I'd consider kahn, schweini, hargreaves and even demichelis world class

Kahn... probably. I wouldn't consider the other 3 as world class though. Demichelis does not even play for Argentina. For a player to be considered world class, it would need to be almost impossible for him not to play regularly for the national team, unless he's retired from international soccer.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:27 am

The way van Bommel used to lead PSV was great, and he can prove to be a much better leader on the field than Ballack (despite not being as skilled as him).
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby kevh26 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:41 am

I disagree entirely, firstly because I actually believe he should have been in the argentina squad...

secondly, Van Nistelrooy and beckham have been told they'll never play for their countries again, and they're both world class, and not 'retired' from international football!
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:49 am

I don't consider Beckham to be world class, and I never did. Van Nistelrooy's case is different... I used to consider him world class, but lately I haven't seen him much.

For me, world class would mean that a player is amongst the 25 best players in the world. I think only Lahm and Sagnol would fit here.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby kevh26 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:24 pm

no offence to sagnol, but he's not top 25, and when you consider just how many professional footballers in the world, I think 25 is a VERY low number... I could more than that off the top of my head.

ballack
shevchenko
ronaldinho
christiano ronaldo
rooney
eto'o
puyol
terry
gerrard
lampard
henry
ashley cole
joe cole
adriano
buffon
casillas
torres
raul
messi
deco
totti
gattuso
cannavaro
robben
kaka
tevez
cambiasso

... the list can go on!
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:31 pm

Sagnol has often been considered by experts as the world's best right back. In FIFA's analyzing of the World Cup, he was put in the dream team along with Zambrotta. Last season, he had 9 assists in 31 Bundesliga matches for Bayern, a really high number for any defender. I don't think there's any fullback in the world who can throw in as many precise crosses to the attackers as he does. If our attackers were deadlier, he'd have had far more many assists.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby kevh26 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:33 pm

there's no doubting that he's a great player, I just tend to think that a 'world class player' has that little bit something different... whereas in sagnol's case, I think he does basically what you would expect of any attacking full back, just better!
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Next

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion