You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Mark van Bommel

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Postby kevh26 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:15 pm

I'm going to agree with MUTU here, frings is a bremen player, no doubt about that, he played mediocre football in a bayern shirt, no where near the quality he plays with germany!
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:03 pm

Van Bommel completes switch to Bayern

28.08.2006 Bayern have completed the signing of Netherlands midfielder Mark van Bommel. The 29-year-old was formally introduced at a news conference by general manager Uli Hoeneß and coach Felix Magath after passing a medical in Munich on Monday morning.

"We can announce a done deal," Hoeneß told the assembled media. Van Bommel had scored "100 percent" in the medical tests, "because he's in extremely good physical shape," the Bayern board director continued. The Dutch dynamo signed a three-year contract ahead of the official unveiling. He will be assigned the same squad number 17 which he wore for Barcelona last season.

'Just before closing time'

"This is a big day for me. I'm proud to be playing here and wearing a Bayern Munich shirt from now on," declared the player, who arrived in Munich on Sunday. Describing Bayern as "my favourite club ever since I was a kid," van Bommel nevertheless insisted it had initially been "no easy decision" to quit Barcelona after just one season. "But if Bayern come calling, that makes it simple."

Head coach Magath said he was "delighted we've completed a fantastic transfer just before closing time." Van Bommel's experience and strong personality made him ideal as "a leader of our young team." The Netherlands international was not a classic playmaker, the Munich boss continued, "but he's a different type of player to anything we currently have in midfield."

Personal decision

The star signing will train with his new team-mates for the first time at 4pm on Tuesday, where he is set for a reunion with Roy Makaay. The pair have been close friends since meeting while on Netherlands U-21 duty, and have been in regular touch recently. "Obviously, Roy told me a few things about the club, but the decision to come here was my own," van Bommel explained.

The 29-year-old had also consulted his father-in-law, Dortmund coach Bert van Marwijk, before finalising his move to the Munich giants. The respected Borussia boss would rather have seen his son-in-law switch to the Ruhr valley, "but I wanted to come to Bayern. Dortmund are a very good club, and I'm sorry for him," the father-of-three declared with a grin.

Aiming high

The powerful midfielder collected no fewer than four winners' medals in his solitary season with Barcelona, "but that chapter is now closed," the 1.87 metre, 84 kilogram player declared. "It wasn't a bad year for me, and I was holding down a regular place by the end." However, coach Frank Rijkaard favoured "different options" for the coming season.

The player is now intending to pursue similar success with his new club. "I want us to retain the championship and the Cup, and then we'll see what we can do in Europe," the 2005-6 Champions League winner exclusively told fcbayern.de. "It's difficult to say where we stand as a team right now, but I'm confident about our Champions League campaign. Bayern always put out a team capable of competing in Europe."
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby podolski4life » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:11 am

fa wrote:He should has gone to Bayern last season !! then we would have signed him for almost nothing. now we have to pay 6-12 million for him.

i was really surprised that Bayern spend so much this season..

It's only because our midfield had a gaping hole in it. Bayern were chasing him in the 03, 04, or 05 season, can't remember...
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby dwilliams » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:40 pm

MUTU wrote:It's difficult to leave out Lahm and Sagnol. They are 2 of the world's very best full backs, the only 2 players we have that we can call world class.

HA HA HA - so if you picked a WOrld Xl, they would be in it would they? Course they wouldnt - world class indeed.

GIVE HARGREAVES TO MAN UTD!!!
dwilliams
First post

Postby MUTU » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:44 pm

dwilliams wrote:HA HA HA - so if you picked a WOrld Xl, they would be in it would they? Course they wouldnt - world class indeed.

Of course they would! Check out FIFA's best squad choice, and you'll see both of them in there. Lahm's closest rival would be Ashley Cole, and Sagnol's closest rival would be Zambrotta.

dwilliams wrote:GIVE HARGREAVES TO MAN UTD!!!

You can buy him next season, or at best you'll have him as a Christmas present :)
Last edited by MUTU on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby alp01051 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:41 pm

i think van buyten will make our defance stronger. lahm and sagnol are the best in their position. arent they? our one problem was in midfield. and we buy van bommel. we must take champions league cup. :o
alp01051
Getting the hang of it

Postby MUTU » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:44 pm

Perhaps we are stronger than last season, but so are other teams such as Chelsea and Real Madrid. The gap with the top teams continues to widen.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby BMike86 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:25 am

MUTU wrote:
kevh26 wrote:not the only two.... I'd consider kahn, schweini, hargreaves and even demichelis world class

Kahn... probably. I wouldn't consider the other 3 as world class though. Demichelis does not even play for Argentina. For a player to be considered world class, it would need to be almost impossible for him not to play regularly for the national team, unless he's retired from international soccer.

I agree
BMike86
Woah, this feels cool!

Postby vaibhavi » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:37 pm

dwilliams wrote:
MUTU wrote:It's difficult to leave out Lahm and Sagnol. They are 2 of the world's very best full backs, the only 2 players we have that we can call world class.

HA HA HA - so if you picked a WOrld Xl, they would be in it would they? Course they wouldnt - world class indeed.

GIVE HARGREAVES TO MAN UTD!!!

ok so let Hargreaves go to MANU . but it would be very unprofessional on his part and the loss would be only his. bcoz bayern has so many great players like shweinstieger, lahm, podolski.
Hi! I love germany!
vaibhavi
Hey, I'm new here!

Van Bommel (not) suspended

Postby fa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:37 pm

Van Bommel received a one match ban and fine from UEFA for his controversial arm movement againt Real. The good thing is that the suspension can take place in a period of one year, so he will play next week against Real !!

He also has to promoto fair play on the Youth tournament organised by UEFA

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind ... 11516.html
Last edited by fa on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Belgium, World Champion in 2050 !!
fa
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FC Bajern » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:02 pm

I think that's fair. Real Madrid fans will be pissed off because Van Bommel gets to play against them :P hopefully we'll win.

Now when you say the suspension can take place in a period of one year does that mean that he can choose to miss one CL game for the coming September? (next CL)
FC Bajern

Postby MUTU » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:20 pm

Well, good news. I bet there will be some pretty violent tackles on Van Bommel though :S
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby fanOfBayern » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:50 pm

MUTU wrote:Well, good news. I bet there will be some pretty violent tackles on Van Bommel though :S

That will be good too...LOL...Lets hope 1 of the real players gets sent off in the first 20 minutes...:D
fanOfBayern
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:54 pm

Too be honest I'm a bit scared, because Van Bommel isn't one who generally doesn't like to retaliate...
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FC Bajern » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:37 pm

FC Bajern

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion