You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Mark van Bommel

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Postby FCBinNYC » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:42 pm

Agreed, when he flipped off the Madrid fans is exactly what I like about Van Bommel! On that note, my least favorite player outside the Bundesliga is probably Roberto Carlos. Though I do hope Fener beats Chelsea.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FC Hollywood18 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:30 pm

Van Bommel may piss you off because of his antics, but he is a vital part of this team. He most always puts forth 100% and never gives up. Van Bommel is always the most physical player on the pitch. the only other players that can touch him are Essien and Frings( IN MY OPINION ).
FC Hollywood18
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBinNYC » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:14 pm

True FC Hollywood, that is why I like him overall. Sometimes he just does stupid shit, be it fouls, bad passes, or overly optimistic long range shots. Those can be annoying. But you're right, you have to admire his dedication and that dedication to Bayern no doubt contributes to other fans disliking him.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Bayernglasgowfan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:41 am

Van Bommel is a neccessary evil! he is there to wind up opponents (maybe he shouldn't do the same thing to officials as often though!).

Torsten Frings is far more irritating than MVB and should be No.1 in that type of poll. Even when he is not playing he gets peoples backs up!
Bayernglasgowfan
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:37 pm

True, Frings is like a cancer on the teams he plays for. I remember last year that there was an issue between him and Klose. In some ways, that issue could have led Klose to Bayern.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby fanOfBayern » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:09 pm

I would not hate Torsten..:D
fanOfBayern
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:46 pm

fanOfBayern wrote:I would not hate Torsten..:D

I don't hate him. He's just the player that I don't care for the most out of the Bundesliga. Of course, Van der Vaart should be on that list. He's a good player but he gets on my last nerve. LOL!!
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby MunchenFC » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:04 am

i hate anybody that dosent play for bayen unless there called up for national team duties(germany only)
“My heart is red through and through. Personally, it’ll be much better winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich than with Real Madrid. When I arrive at the Säbener Strasse, it’s like coming home" - Bastian Schweinsteiger
Viva la Kroos
MunchenFC
I post all the time

Postby MaCk0y » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:33 am

Van Bommel Told To Behave

Bayern Munich midfielder Mark van Bommel has been told by the club to change his ways or risk losing the captain’s armband he has just recently been awarded.

The fiery Dutchman was given his marching orders on Saturday against Dortmund in only his second game as Bayern captain. Referee Herbert Fandel booked van Bommel twice in the opening 23 minutes meaning he was sent off.

He has now been sent off in three of his last ten league games for the Bavarians. Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has now warned van Bommel as to his future conduct.

"The first yellow card is acceptable, but you should never get a second yellow card like that and Mark has got to learn that" Rummenigge told Bild.

"It is for his own good and for the good of the team that he learns.

"The important thing is that he realises that he has made an error, but I think he knows himself that he has left the rest of the team in the lurch."

Despite van Bommel's protests that he is being singled out by referees, Rummenigge believes the referee made the right decision.

"I have seen the scene several times in TV, even in the super-slow-motion, and I have to say that, unfortunately, both yellow cards are correct" he said.

"The referee has made the right decision."

Club president and former Bayern captain Franz Beckenbauer has also weighed in with some advice for the player.

"Van Bommel is a short-tempered character who does not have control over himself and, therefore, does not do himself nor the team any favours" the Kaiser told Premiere television.

"He must learn to control himself."
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:30 pm

Oh, at least they had the sense to warn him. I think the Bayern board have done the right decision. 3 red cards in 10 matches is simply unacceptable at any level of football, and especially not at a leading team like Bayern.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Paddy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:36 pm

Indeed. And he suppose to be a captain. Or is the captain´s job to behave like an ass and let your team down as often as u possibly can?
Save the Earth. It´s the only planet with beer.

Paddy
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:46 pm

I believe that both cards on Van Bommel were fair. It's true that sometimes other players get away with it, but you can’t possibly say that the cards in the last match were harsh. They were fully deserving of a yellow, and I’ve seen plenty of players getting a straight red for the first challenge that he did.

I'm worried about him being our captain. It’s true that he spurs the team on, but when a team loses their captain to a red card, it's a blow to their confidence. Also, with Kroos showing potential and Ze Roberto miles ahead of him, I have doubts on whether he is indeed indispensable to the club. A captain should be that type of player.

It's true that he has by far the best leadership and influence skills in the team, but that shouldn’t be the only factors involved in the choice of the captain.

I do agree he's still the best man for the job. I was rather pointing at our lack of better options. To me, Van Bommel is simply the least worst of the pack. Yet, he needs to learn to behave.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBinNYC » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:15 pm

Personally, I think Franck would've been a much better captain, despite the fact that he doesn't sprechen die deustche that well. He leads by example, never gives up, and is far more skilled than Van Bommel. Beckenbauer said that the captain needs to be someone that other players respect and fear. Who respects or fears Van Bommel? NO ONE. (Maybe they fear getting elbowed in the face, that's about it though.) I liked his antics from a humor standpoint before he was captain, but enough is enough. Marco Matterazzi was sold by Everton as soon as they could sell him for getting a comparable amount of red cards while he was there. And we make Van Bommel our captain? Disgraceful.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MrLinky » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:59 pm

Its true that VB deserved the 2 cards against Dortmund and
he's an aggressive player - sometimes too aggressive - but its alos true
that the referees watch him with a "special eye" cuz he has this reputation of being a player that cant control him self the way he should .

There are certain situations during the last season and this one too when VB got a card , I though to myself if that would have been Schweinsteiger or Ze or any other player doin that challenge , would he have gotten the card !?

And my personal answer is No cuz VB from the first second on gets the most attention from the referee , because of this 'reputation' .
MrLinky
I post all the time

Re: Mark Van Bommell

Postby MaCk0y » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:18 pm

So he was given the captaincy but his contract expires next June! And there was no word of a contract extension. Very strangely indeed. :-k
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion