You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Mario Gomez [Mario Gómez García]

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Postby Miss Dangerous » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:44 am

STUTTGART, Germany, Nov. 20--When a legend such as Franz Beckenbauer, a World Cup winner with West Germany in 1974, heaps praise on a young player people tend to listen and everyone is talking about VfB Stuttgart’s promising striker Mario Gomez.
Bayern Munich president Beckenbauer heaped praise on the German Under-21 international this week saying he was a natural poacher who should be called up to the national team at once, AFP said.
“I can’t deny that I’m not flattered when a footballing great such as Franz Beckenbauer says good things about me,“ Gomez said in Die Welt newspaper. “It shows that I’m on the right track.
“I am delighted with how things are going. I am 21 and am playing my best ever football.
“I’m gathering experience with every game and the goals breed confidence but I can still improve certain areas of my game and will be much better in three years.“

With eight goals this season Gomez, 21, is joint top scorer in the Bundesliga and his strike against Bayern on Saturday enhanced his burgeoning reputation.
With just eight minutes gone Gomez, who is half Spanish, pounced onto a pass from Cacau before sprinting away from Daniel van Buyten and dispatching a clean strike past goalkeeper Oliver Kahn.
Bayern went on to win the game through goals from Roy Makaay and Claudio Pizarro but Gomez caused problems throughout with his height and turn of foot.
The qualities of Gomez persuaded Stuttgart coach Armin Veh to loan problematic striker Danijel Ljuboja to Hamburg at the start of the season and it looks a wise move.
Bayern coach Felix Magath has been monitoring the progress of ’Super Mario’ and recently admitted he could become a Bayern player in the future.
Gomez has refused to fuel the speculation preferring to concentrate on Stuttgart who are enjoying a fine season and lie second in the table.
“It is not an issue for me that is why I extended until 2011,“ he said.
Despite the pleas of Veh and Beckenbauer, Gomez has yet to be called up to the German national team with manager Joachim Low unwilling to experiment with the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign in full flow.
“It doesn’t bother me that I’ve not been called up. It is nice just to be mentioned,“ Gomez said.
“I watched the World Cup and it goes without saying that one of my ambitions is to make it into the Germany side by the time the 2010 World Cup comes around.“ :idea:

Iran Daily
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby musFCB » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:49 pm

Bayern hunt Euro star Gomez

TENERO, Switzerland (AFP) - Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich are chasing the signatures of Germany's Euro 2008 star Mario Gomez and Arsenal's attacking midfielder Alexander Hleb, according to German media reports.

VfB Stuttgart's Gomez played in Germany's 2-0 Group B win over Poland in Klagenfurt, Austria, on Sunday while Hleb, 27, from Belarus is a rising star for the former communist country.

Hleb has a contract at Arsenal until 2010 and has also been linked to a move to Italy, while Stuttgart have Gomez signed up until 2012, but the Germany striker has reportedly signed a preliminary contract at Bayern.

"I am only concentrating 100 percent on Euro 2008," insisted Gomez after Sunday's win over Poland.

"Any speculation over changing clubs doesn't interest or concern me at the moment."

Both Bayern and player agent Uli Ferber, who manages both players, refused to comment, but Munich newspaper TZ said a reliable source had confirmed the intense interest.

It would cost Bayern close to 40 million euros to buy both players out of their contracts, with Hleb reported to be worth 18 million euros and Gomez 19.

Bayern have already this summer signed Germany midfielder Tim Borowski from Werder Bremen and Jorg Butt from Benfica.

Meanwhile, Bayern Munich's new coach Jurgen Klinsmann - who takes over as boss on July 1 - has added his predecessor Ottmar Hitzfeld's assistant coach and a sports psychologist to his backroom staff.

Hitzfeld's right-hand man Michael Henke will be Bayern's chief analyst while Philipp Laux joins as a sports psychologist.
musFCB
Hey, I'm new here!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ghost_of_war_sp » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:03 am

Buy both player we need them badly. Gomez is a world class striker. It just wasn't his day against poland. If we can get him that would be the best signing of the summer. But it will be hard for us to get him. I know stuttgart want podolski. But i love podolski. Maybe bayern will trade the players? I say buy both and we will won the champions league next season with a little luck.
Bayern are number 1
Ghost_of_war_sp
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Matakos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:26 pm

What are we gonna do with so many worldclass strikers :lol:
Gomez,Klose,Podolski,Toni :P
Our King!
Matakos
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gomez

Postby Imperium » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:10 pm

dont forget Podolski can also play well in midfield...
Imperium
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DS17 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:11 pm

Just a silly rumour. No chance Gomez comes to Bayern (at least this summer).
DS17
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby MUTU » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:37 pm

DS17 wrote:Just a silly rumour. No chance Gomez comes to Bayern (at least this summer).

Agreed.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Ghost_of_war_sp » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:23 am

if the offer is right you never know. He will want to play Champions L next season. It would suprise me on but. What happened last Euro. We signed Frings then. World cup we signed Podolski, this Euro Gomez. I wouldn't put it past Klinsmann. He loves you players. Bundesliga, Champions L, Pokal Cup. There are lots of games to play so we need Gomez. I think he has signed a pre contract to go to bayern like klose did when he was a werder. Every great german goes to bayern eventually.
Bayern are number 1
Ghost_of_war_sp
Woah, this feels cool!

Postby Matakos » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:46 am

Ghost_of_war_sp wrote:if the offer is right you never know. He will want to play Champions L next season. It would suprise me on but. What happened last Euro. We signed Frings then. World cup we signed Podolski, this Euro Gomez. I wouldn't put it past Klinsmann. He loves you players. Bundesliga, Champions L, Pokal Cup. There are lots of games to play so we need Gomez. I think he has signed a pre contract to go to bayern like klose did when he was a werder. Every great german goes to bayern eventually.

No we don't.We already have 3 worldclass strikers we don't need a fourth.
Our King!
Matakos
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby MUTU » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Matakos wrote:We already have 3 worldclass strikers we don't need a fourth.

If you consider a striker who scored 9 goals in 47 Bundesliga matches "world class", your expectations are very low. Podolski has a lot of promise, but for Bayern he is definitely NOT world class yet, and may never be.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Matakos » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:23 pm

MUTU wrote:

If you consider a striker who scored 9 goals in 47 Bundesliga matches "world class", your expectations are very low. Podolski has a lot of promise, but for Bayern he is definitely NOT world class yet, and may never be.

true :) :wink:
Our King!
Matakos
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby shwas55 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:17 pm

MUTU wrote:

Klose just went through a dry spell thats all, he will be better next season, plus dont forget he had alot of assists, as for podolski he will be much better under klinsi if you noticed all young players struggled for form under hitzfield (shwieni, poldi, lahm...etc).
Now for Gomes, the only way i see it happening is, if we buy him this year and then loan him out to stuttgart, Arsenal...etc, by doing that we have secured him for a good price, cut the way on other clubs, and we dont buy and bench him (he will play and get more experienced), and when toni leaves or klose get old we have a first class striker ready to step in next to Poldi
shwas55
I post all the time

Postby MunchenFC » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:22 pm

sell klose and get gomez plain and simple we will be much better off for the futue if we do this!
“My heart is red through and through. Personally, it’ll be much better winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich than with Real Madrid. When I arrive at the Säbener Strasse, it’s like coming home" - Bastian Schweinsteiger
Viva la Kroos
MunchenFC
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:23 am

shwas55 wrote:as for podolski he will be much better under klinsi if you noticed all young players struggled for form under hitzfield (shwieni, poldi, lahm...etc).

We need to stop looking at Klinsmann as if he is our god and saviour. Hitzfeld is an experienced and highly successful coach, and at best Klinsmann can hardly be any better. Just remember that Germany under Klinsmann only won one match against a top team, against Argentina and it was only won on penalties.

I'm not saying Klinsmann is not good, but a lot of people are expecting everything to suddenly improve dramatically. Rest assured, some things will improve but others will almost definitely be worse than under Hitzfeld.

For example, how do you know that Podolski will be better under Klinsmann? The main problem of Podolski under Hitzfeld is that he used to create chances, dribble opponents, present himself with a glorious chance to score, and then MISS. I have my doubts that he's suddenly going to stop missing easy chances just because there's someone else sitting on the bench, even though motivation, psychology and training play a part in it.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Matakos » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 am

MUTU wrote:
shwas55 wrote:as for podolski he will be much better under klinsi if you noticed all young players struggled for form under hitzfield (shwieni, poldi, lahm...etc).

We need to stop looking at Klinsmann as if he is our god and saviour. Hitzfeld is an experienced and highly successful coach, and at best Klinsmann can hardly be any better. Just remember that Germany under Klinsmann only won one match against a top team, against Argentina and it was only won on penalties.

I'm not saying Klinsmann is not good, but a lot of people are expecting everything to suddenly improve dramatically. Rest assured, some things will improve but others will almost definitely be worse than under Hitzfeld.

For example, how do you know that Podolski will be better under Klinsmann? The main problem of Podolski under Hitzfeld is that he used to create chances, dribble opponents, present himself with a glorious chance to score, and then MISS. I have my doubts that he's suddenly going to stop missing easy chances just because there's someone else sitting on the bench, even though motivation, psychology and training play a part in it.

I think everybody is saying that because in the WC the german young players used to play good under Klinsmann.But the WC is different from the club level competitions.Players are exhausted after tiring seasons with their clubs and there is surely less pressure.
Our King!
Matakos
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Next

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion