You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Manuel Neuer

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Manuel Neuer

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:50 pm

MillaMjau wrote:El Mundo Deportivo hailed Ter Stegen "The new Neuer" after his performance against Atleti.

He's been called that before in Germany. I myself remember telling my friend a few years ago that if Neuer is ever no longer #1 for Germany before he retires, it'll be because of Ter Stegen. But we all know how that has worked out so far. I don't think he'll ever reach Neuer's level anymore (not to mention that Neuer's level is now much higher than it was then).
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby runaway » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:50 pm

FCB general wrote:Yep, but touches are irrelevant. Only key actions, preassists, assists and above all in football - goals are important and what it counts.

Nobody didn't talk about Neuer's(or someone elses) ball contacts when Bayern lost 0:5 in 2 legs against Real Madrid - nobody! :D
I'll just shoot it; Bayern can make 1800 passes during the 90 minutes, but that's completely irrelevant for the game. Goals only count no matter how you score them. Neuer can produce that only in 2-3 ways, but these things don't happen every game.

Every action and non-action matters on the pitch. The ball doesn't just go in the net out of nowhere. Even bus parking has tactical nuances and needs to be studied for perfect execution. When faced with 10 men defending their own box, even Real Madrid found it hard to win against it. They kept shooting to no avail.

Like mentioned in the book, The Numbers Game, 90% of what happens in football is off the ball. That's 90% that can't be directly accounted for and measured. Runs, occupying spaces, etc are essential to produce goals and yet it's not easily measurable.

For fans, the result is ultimately the most important. For coaches everything is important. What a player did, does, and will do are examined maybe for the next game. And we can be sure next time round, Guardiola will come prepared. As organic and fluid football might look like on the pitch, as Müller said, if you think things were not intentional you'll be mistaken. Every play and combination of attack has been studied and prepared for. But things can't always go to plan and everyone in the team has to carry that weight.

via Tapatalk
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby RedQueen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:28 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:He's been called that before in Germany. I myself remember telling my friend a few years ago that if Neuer is ever no longer #1 for Germany before he retires, it'll be because of Ter Stegen. But we all know how that has worked out so far. I don't think he'll ever reach Neuer's level anymore (not to mention that Neuer's level is now much higher than it was then).

I thought MATS was really good last night. Great ball control, great distribution, good interception, a good presence on the pitch. Better than anything I've seen from the other candidates for the No 2 and 3 spot in the DFB XI this season (there's not going to be a discussion about the No 1 spot anytime soon). Unfortunately his performances for the DFB XI so far have been nothing short of a horror show. I'm still hoping that he's going to prove himself at Barca, as a German I obviously have the Euro 2016 in mind. We have a serious goalkeeper problem there in regard to the No 2 and 3 spot. If anything should happen to Neuer in an important game, we are doomed. Neither Zieler nor Weidenfeller can be expected to sweep up behind Löw's high defensive line. If Neuer can't play, Löw will have to change the entire tactics over night, or worse, within a game, if we can't find anyone capable of fitting into this system. I think we simply can't afford this situation. Zieler and Weidenfeller can't do it, and of the other candidates in the discussion MATS seems to me the most promising candidate, both with respect to his playing style and with respect to experience on an international level. He has at least one year until the decision is made, and he'll be around 24 by that time. I don't see him in a No 1 spot unless Neuer suffers a veritable collapse; it starts with the simplest of things, at 1,85 m height for a goalkeeper these days he's not the tallest, and it's not something he can easily compensate.
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby JANCKER » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:23 pm

He's not the only German GK to play an important role in their success... be it sweeper keeper or however you like to name it, Kahn took Germany practically on his own to the WC final 2002. He had a disastrous performance in the final which was to forget for him but he was really close being named the best player of the year. He probably wishes to forget that year, but I won't, he was magnificent even if he didn't bring that trophy home... You can't BS other styles, they can be efficient same as 'sweeper keeper'.
They were in the downfall in those days unlike today...
Everything is studied and planned but when implemented most of the time it looks different.
Everything can be accounted, useless run without any idea, but it counts for run doesn't it...
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby RedQueen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:30 pm

JANCKER wrote:He's not the only German GK to play an important role in their success... be it sweeper keeper or however you like to name it, Kahn took Germany practically on his own to the WC final 2002. He had a disastrous performance in the final which was to forget for him but he was really close being named the best player of the year. You can't BS other styles, they can be efficient same as 'sweeper keeper'.

Not sure whether you're addressing me with your post, but I wasn't calling BS on other styles, I was just saying that having to switch an entire tactical system over night or even within an important game will almost certainly prove disastrous for the DFB XI. Especially when those backup keepers have never played a competitive game for Germany.

And Neuer's style isn't just different, it adds another option for the team. It's not like he cannot play like a good ol' traditional Kahn-style GK if needed.
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby JANCKER » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Nobody is irreplaceable, same as people thought that nobody would find a replacement for Kahn. Lehmann wasn't that bad...
If we play against USA, we can play without a GK... Neuer could've gone and have a coffee that day instead. Everyone has one easy day at the office... don't get me wrong.
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby RedQueen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:12 pm

It's a question of the timespan you've got available for replacing someone. I'm talking about unexpected incidents here - Neuer might just catch the flu or eat something wrong or whatever, and then there we are, from one day to the next, without a backup fitting into Löw's system. Imagine that right before the semi-final or final in Euro 2016.

Or, that may be closer for a non-German fan - imagine that happening to Bayern right before a CL semi-final or final without Reina being available. Imagine having to play a CL semi-final or final with Starke or Zingerle in goal. Wouldn't you prefer Reina being available. That's kinda how I feel about Germany's situation with and without MATS.
RedQueen
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:38 pm

RedQueen wrote:I thought MATS was really good last night. Great ball control, great distribution, good interception, a good presence on the pitch. Better than anything I've seen from the other candidates for the No 2 and 3 spot in the DFB XI this season (there's not going to be a discussion about the No 1 spot anytime soon). Unfortunately his performances for the DFB XI so far have been nothing short of a horror show. I'm still hoping that he's going to prove himself at Barca, as a German I obviously have the Euro 2016 in mind. We have a serious goalkeeper problem there in regard to the No 2 and 3 spot. If anything should happen to Neuer in an important game, we are doomed. Neither Zieler nor Weidenfeller can be expected to sweep up behind Löw's high defensive line. If Neuer can't play, Löw will have to change the entire tactics over night, or worse, within a game, if we can't find anyone capable of fitting into this system. I think we simply can't afford this situation. Zieler and Weidenfeller can't do it, and of the other candidates in the discussion MATS seems to me the most promising candidate, both with respect to his playing style and with respect to experience on an international level. He has at least one year until the decision is made, and he'll be around 24 by that time. I don't see him in a No 1 spot unless Neuer suffers a veritable collapse; it starts with the simplest of things, at 1,85 m height for a goalkeeper these days he's not the tallest, and it's not something he can easily compensate.

I'm not joking, I spent 2 or 3 minutes trying to understand why you're confusing Hummels with Ter Stegen before I realised that MATS are his initials. :lol:

I didn't watch the game yesterday, so I'm glad to hear he did well. But as you said, he didn't do well at all when called by the NT.

As for the GK backup, things have complicated themselves with Dortmund's decline. Last summer I'd have said that Weidenfeller deserved to be backup. Now, I'm not so sure.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby RedQueen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:48 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I'm not joking, I spent 2 or 3 minutes trying to understand why you're confusing Hummels with Ter Stegen before I realised that MATS are his initials. :lol:

Sorry for the confusion :lol: He's nicknamed MATS in Germany.

As for the GK backup, things have complicated themselves with Dortmund's decline. Last summer I'd have said that Weidenfeller deserved to be backup. Now, I'm not so sure.

The only reason Weidenfeller was backup is because he was the only one who had a reasonable level of international experience, and besides he's good for the team. As a GK, at this point (and even before the WC) I'd rate Zieler higher. Weidenfeller isn't who he used to be two or three years ago, and even then, there's considerable reason to assume that maybe he was punching above his weight.
RedQueen
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Ottomeister13 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:48 pm

Indeed.. Zieler is a great back up for Neuer... #-o
Ottomeister13

Postby RedQueen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 am

He's better than Weidenfeller for sure, who has been benched by Klopp for a reason. ATM Neuer's first choice backup in the DFB XI is a goalkeeper who isn't even the first choice in a team that's in the relegation ranks of the league.
RedQueen
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Ottomeister13 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Weidenfeller was benched for 2 or 3 games.. Now with Langerak in the Gold Cup or what is it? Its Weidenfeller again because he trains with the team.
Ottomeister13

Postby RedQueen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:07 pm

Don't know how much you've seen from him this season, but if he carries on like before he was benched, he'll find himself on the bench again as soon as Langerak is back. And I don't just mean screwing up and being a liability, but his behaviour towards his teammates. Dortmund can't afford that crap.
RedQueen
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby RedQueen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:51 am

So, he wants to play outfield for Bayern now, he tells Fanclub "Vest Bajuwaren": :D

"Würde mir das zutrauen"Manuel Neuer bewirbt sich als FC-Bayern-Feldspieler - Focus [source]

I'm getting more and more convinced, we will see it at some point.
RedQueen
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby pyrasur » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Pepe Reina in goal and Manu in the midfield against Braunschweig
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!