You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Luca Toni

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Postby MUTU » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:41 am

I am hoping for a younger, better player who would fit in better with our long term strategies.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby fa » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:20 pm

Apparently Bayern are negotiating with Fc Florence (Fiorentina) about a transfer for Luca Toni. The chances of Bayern improved due to the transfer clausule that stated that Toni cannot go to another Italian club. Still, I found it very doubtfull that he will end up at Bayern, also because his current markt worth is about 27 million euro !!

http://www.sport1.de/de/sport/artikel_925782.html
Belgium, World Champion in 2050 !!
fa
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby fcelber87 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:43 pm

I would find it easier to cope with a player that does absolutely ridiculous celebrations after he scores goals than players that do not have any celebrations because they dont score goals (Makaay, Pizarro, Podolski, and Santa Cruz). I'd rather see Toni's nob twist 25 times a season than Makaay's airplane 11 times, If you know what I mean :wink:
fcelber87
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby fa » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:48 pm

fcelber87 wrote:I would find it easier to cope with a player that does absolutely ridiculous celebrations after he scores goals than players that do not have any celebrations because they dont score goals (Makaay, Pizarro, Podolski, and Santa Cruz). I'd rather see Toni's nob twist 25 times a season than Makaay's airplane 11 times, If you know what I mean :wink:

yep I understand. Imo he's just a bit too old and will cost us too much money.

Honestly I dont believe that Toni wants a move to Germany, if he goes he ll rather end up somewhere in spain. Allthough the chances that he stays at Florence are higher. We shall see what happens
Belgium, World Champion in 2050 !!
fa
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:52 am

I think he is way overpriced. The market value of Huntelaar is considered lower than that. I mean of course from then on it'd be a battle of whoever offers the highest wages to the kid. But I never agreed with buying ageing players unless they're world class stars, which Toni isn't IMO.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Paddy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:37 pm

MUTU wrote:I think he is way overpriced. The market value of Huntelaar is considered lower than that. I mean of course from then on it'd be a battle of whoever offers the highest wages to the kid. But I never agreed with buying ageing players unless they're world class stars, which Toni isn't IMO.

And you think Raul is? Didn´t Toni score 33 goals in Seria A last year? I personally don´t like him because he´s Italian but he´s better scorer than Raul. Way better.
Save the Earth. It´s the only planet with beer.

Paddy
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBinNYC » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:06 pm

Good point Paddy, but I think the difference is that last season was the first season Toni did anything close to remarkable, whereas Raul has been doing it in the CL and La Liga for quite a few years now.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:41 pm

FCBinNYC wrote:Good point Paddy, but I think the difference is that last season was the first season Toni did anything close to remarkable, whereas Raul has been doing it in the CL and La Liga for quite a few years now.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I only wet my pants when there's a 20 year old who has a really good season, because that's promising for the future. If you forget the last couple of seasons, Toni's been quite an average player. Raul has been scoring important goals against top teams all throughout his career. The fact that he's the Champions League overall top scorer speaks volumes. He is a big game player, and he's more than proved himself.

As for Toni, he's 29 but his experience is limited to playing in the Serie A. He's only had 26 national team appearances. He did score 2 goals in one match at the World Cup, but that was it, and Ukraine were hardly World Cup favourites. But... how often did he play in the Champions League? You can say that he's untested in those waters.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Paddy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:12 pm

Well...Raul isn´t all that great anymore. He scored only 8 goals in 28 matches . I think he´ll only get worse.

Paddy
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:36 pm

I only care about his 5 goals in 6 or so Champions League matches. We already have Makaay who scores a lot of domestic goals. What we need is someone who scores the goals when it really matters, against the top teams in the Champions League. Makaay doesn't quite score when it's really needed. Raul does. Toni is unproven.

I get your point and I hope you do get mine. In the end it's just a matter of preference. For me, 2 goals against Real Madrid in the Champions League are worth 10 goals in the Bundesliga.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Paddy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:43 pm

Yeah yeah. But he scored by total luck against us. And the teams he score against in the group stage aren´t really world class.

Paddy
I post all the time

Postby diegis » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:54 am

MUTU wrote:As for Toni, he's 29 but his experience is limited to playing in the Serie A. He's only had 26 national team appearances. He did score 2 goals in one match at the World Cup, but that was it, and Ukraine were hardly World Cup favourites. But... how often did he play in the Champions League? You can say that he's untested in those waters.

Its not Toni's fault that his teams didnt qualify for CL and he never had the chance to play in it.

MUTU wrote:If you forget the last couple of seasons, Toni's been quite an average player.

i agree with you here
he was an average player until 2003 when he transfered to Palermo.
diegis
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby MUTU » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:57 am

Paddy wrote:But he scored by total luck against us.

I believe it's the sign of an experienced world class striker. He's there at the right place at the right time. That's just what's needed to be at the top, no need to do anything fancy. Gerd Müller didn't do anything fancy, either.

supr4king wrote:Its not Toni's fault that his teams didnt qualify for CL and he never had the chance to play in it.

You're right, it's not his fault, and I'm not blaming it on him. However, the fact still remains that he doesn't have CL experience.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Paddy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:19 pm

Mutu, but you have to agree he doesn´t score as often as he did 3 years ago.

Paddy
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:59 pm

True, but 3 years ago we had next to zero chance of getting him. As long as he continues to score the important goals, then it's great.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion