You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Landon Donovan

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Landon Donovan

Postby Jorge » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:59 pm

This sounds crazy but I heard from a good source that the question has been already asked: If Landon Donovan will be interested in joining Bayern Munich in the near future.

We all know that he failed to deliver at Bayer Leverkusen (some said he never adapted to live in Germany and missed his then girlfriend Bianca Kajlich -if you have seen her you understand why :wink: ) but with close ties to Jurgen Klinsmann and Martin Vasquez, on a different stage of his life and having found his form again under Ruud Gullit...... I do not find the idea as crazy as it sounds. Although I doubt he will leave this summer, if something goes bad at Bayern and they feel they need a playmaker during the Winter transfer window we might hear about it again.

IMO Landon is a very talented player but for some reasons he can disappoint when you expect it the least.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby MunchenFC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:54 pm

no way that sounds farfetch
i woudlike 2 see it
because it would bring more american vieweres to watch bayern
“My heart is red through and through. Personally, it’ll be much better winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich than with Real Madrid. When I arrive at the Säbener Strasse, it’s like coming home" - Bastian Schweinsteiger
Viva la Kroos
MunchenFC
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBinNYC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:08 pm

Haven't heard anything about this, not sure how I feel about it. As we can see from international games, Landon is obviously the best player the US has got. But as you pointed out, he's flopped in Europe on multiple occasions, therefore I feel like he's never coming back. He's better off in his comfort zone in California. I will say that I haven't been watching LA Galaxy games at all, maybe he's doing great with Dave over there. I think they're the highest scoring team in MLS, but they also let in a lot of goals. He was the second best player on the pitch vs Argentina a few weeks ago though, (the best being Demichelis) , so maybe there's hope for him yet. Still, while I'd like to see an American at Bayern, I'm not sure I want it to be Landon. We should've gotten Jozy instead of Villareal!
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby soccerkyle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:02 pm

If I see Donovan in a Bayern Uniform i will throw up
soccerkyle
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby Jorge » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:45 pm

FCBinNYC wrote:(...) We should've gotten Jozy instead of Villareal!

Very true. Altidore has all the ingredients for success in a big league. I always wandered why he was not snapped before by any European club. I saw him played when he was only 14 and I said to myself: this guy will make it, Adu for me is still a question mark.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby bayern123 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:03 am

I, too, would throw up. I would be really upset if that ever happened. He is such a cry baby, and so arrogant.
bayern123
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Landon Donovan

Postby MUTU » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:33 pm

Fresh off a hat trick on the weekend, Los Angeles ace Landon Donovan has reacted favorably to a persistent transfer link with Bundesliga kings Bayern Munich.

FC Hollywood appears prepared to wave goodbye to Lukas Podolski in January, and could return with a new enquiry for the Galaxy man should that attacker slot become vacated.

Donovan, who had two unhappy stints with Bayer Leverkusen, had often spoken of playing in England or Spain - but it appears the thought Bayern have reopened the doors to Germany.

"That's one of the best teams in the world," he told Soccernet. "As of now, I've got to worry about what's going on here, but if January rolls around and there's interest, and the league is willing to discuss it, I would be excited to talk about it."

"There have to be teams interested, so there's a lot of ifs - but if a team like Bayern Munich came calling, you don't really turn them away without thinking about it."

"I would love for it to happen," he declared. "It's up to the league, it's up to the Galaxy and it's up to me."
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MrLinky » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:03 pm

From what I've seen of him up until now (which isnt a lot to be honest) I dont think he's got what it takes to be succesful in Europe .
I mean a 26 year old guy that is still playing in the MLS cause he didnt make it at a mediocre German club shouldnt be our transfer target .
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby FCBinNYC » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 pm

When Jorge started this subject I hadn't heard anything about it, but it's been gathering steam over here in the US recently. Still kind of on the fence about it, but I am SURE that I'd rather have Poldi than Landon. That said, having both would be cool. I've been critical of Donovan in the past, but he has been scoring lots of goals recently. Yes, I know MLS sucks, but with other great players around him and his greater maturity, he could maybe help us out. The thing I always forget about him is that even though he flopped in Europe earlier in his career, he came to Germany when he was only 16, which can't be easy. He's now entering his prime and it's now or never for him, so given his current form (10 goals in his last 10 starts) if Bayern signs him would he do any worse than Poldi or Klose are right now? I'm inclined to think the answer is no, and regardless of all that I feel that we still need a 4th striker anyway in case of injuries. By January we should know if we need a replacement or just a reinforcement. If it's the latter, Donovan might not be that bad of an option.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Raphael Sanzio » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:24 pm

I'd like to see Donovan in Bayern because, given he's a star in the US, that would attract americans to watch Bayern and the Bundesliga. which means more TV money for both. If he's ever gonna move to Bayern, it's gonna be for TV market reasons and spreading the BL abroad. Much like the Beckham move to LA Galaxy. So yeah, we should sell Poldi, spend the money on Donovan (won't cost much) and Arshavin (will cost much). The result would be: Klinsmann and Donovan would spread the BL in US. Arshavin in Russia. Toni and, to a lesser extent, Oddo in Italy. Ribery in France. And the rest in Germany. Wow, if we really keep this up we will be RICH ($$$$$$$$) IN NO TIME!!! And quite frankly if the Bayern Board really does have this approach, I think they might even sign a prominent spanish player.
Raphael Sanzio
Woah, this feels cool!

Postby MaCk0y » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:13 pm

Raphael Sanzio wrote:I'd like to see Donovan in Bayern because, given he's a star in the US, that would attract americans to watch Bayern and the Bundesliga. which means more TV money for both. If he's ever gonna move to Bayern, it's gonna be for TV market reasons and spreading the BL abroad. Much like the Beckham move to LA Galaxy. So yeah, we should sell Poldi, spend the money on Donovan (won't cost much) and Arshavin (will cost much). The result would be: Klinsmann and Donovan would spread the BL in US. Arshavin in Russia. Toni and, to a lesser extent, Oddo in Italy. Ribery in France. And the rest in Germany. Wow, if we really keep this up we will be RICH ($$$$$$$$) IN NO TIME!!! And quite frankly if the Bayern Board really does have this approach, I think they might even sign a prominent spanish player.

You make it seem so easy :!: :lol:
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Jorge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Donovan eyes potential move to Germany
By Andrea Canales
September 22, 2008, 10:49 AM ET

CARSON, Calif. -- A third stint in Germany could prove to be the charm for the player many have considered the best the U.S. has ever produced.
Landon Donovan is having a career year for the Galaxy this season.
Landon Donovan first tested himself on the international stage in 1999 at age 16, signing with Bayer Leverkusen in Germany. The California teenager got homesick and frustrated with a coaching carousel that left him feeling his development was stalled.

Donovan worked out an arrangement such that his club loaned him to Major League Soccer in 2001. He was assigned to the team in San Jose and helped it win two championships during his time there. After a brief return to Leverkusen in 2004 did not succeed, AEG sports honcho Tim Leiweke arranged to buy out Donovan's contract, placing Donovan in Los Angeles as the Galaxy's new signing.

Since that time, no matter what Donovan has accomplished (such as another MLS championship or breaking the goals record for the U.S. national team), detractors point to his lack of European accomplishments.

For many, it's tantalizing to imagine Donovan in Europe. His skill is of a high-enough caliber to make an impact on almost any club.

"I thought it was exceptional," David Beckham said of Donovan's performance in a 5-2 win over D.C. on Saturday, when Donovan scored a hat trick. "I've seen that a few times from Landon. When he plays like that, no one can stop him."

Beckham had no trouble describing Donovan's talents on the field.

"[Donovan's] a goal scorer, and he's done that throughout his career," Beckham said. "We're lucky to have a player like him on the team. When he runs at players and when he runs off the ball, no one can get near him because he's too quick. He's a great finisher of the ball."

Galaxy coach Bruce Arena heaped praise on Donovan, but also pointed out his inconsistency.

"It was certainly an excellent performance [against D.C.]," said Arena, the former U.S. men's national team coach. "I've seen him score goals in World Cups and World Cup qualifying, and obviously in this league now. He's at 19 goals [this season]."

That tally puts Donovan at the top of the league in goals scored. Arena, however, wants to see more.

"That's the big thing I emphasize with Landon," Arena said. "You have to play up to your ability. He's a goal scorer; he's a very good passer; he's a good team player. We need to get all those qualities out of him. The goals are great and all. What we need to see is consistency from here to the end of the season."

German giant Bayern Munich reportedly inquired about Donovan's availability earlier this year. In a bit of a twist, Germany wasn't the country Donovan had thought of first when imagining a return to play in Europe. Instead, he said more than once that he preferred to join a club in England or Spain.

But Donovan is open to possibilities in Germany -- and Bayern Munich especially. Juergen Klinsmann, the former great German forward, coaches there. He believes he can get the most out of Donovan's talent.

"That's one of the best teams in the world," Donovan said. "As of now, I've got to worry about what's going on here, but if January rolls around and there's interest, and the league is willing to discuss it, I would be excited to talk about it."

As a good foot soldier back when the league was trying to gain recognition and status, Donovan shouldn't have to worry much about the organization's holding him back now.

"It's up to my relationship with the league and the Galaxy and if they're willing to let that happen," Donovan said. "There have to be teams interested, so there's a lot of ifs, but if a team like Bayern Munich came calling, you don't really turn them away without thinking about it."

At 26, Donovan knows that his window for a move overseas is starting to close.

"Physically, I feel I'm as good as I'm going to be," he said.

Although the versatile Donovan can play well as a forward or a midfielder, much of his game depends on quickness. Unlike Beckham and his methodic, consistent manner while delivering the ball on set plays, quickness isn't a physical trait that ages well.

"After the next few years, I'm probably going to start declining a little," Donovan said. "Mentally, I've never been better."

Donovan's true mental growth might lie in the psychology of a decision to test his talent overseas once more.

"I would love for it to happen," Donovan said of a move to Bayern Munich. "It's up to the league, it's up to the Galaxy and it's up to me. I feel like I have a good relationship with all those parties, and if it were to happen, I think that would be great."
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby Jorge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:49 pm

FCBinNYC wrote:When Jorge started this subject I hadn't heard anything about it, but it's been gathering steam over here in the US recently. Still kind of on the fence about it, but I am SURE that I'd rather have Poldi than Landon.

Well I got a new one (I heard it through the great vine): A deal is already in the works to bring Donovan in January and it does not include selling Podolski. I do not know the details but with the transfer window openning in over 3 months form today there has be a clause of intentions, what if a Spanish or English club jump showing interest as well?

Again I have mixed feeling about Donovan at Bayern, he is an "environment player" (that's why he shows his best with the US NT or playing in California) IMO he will do better in London or Madrid and obviously with his wife around doing her work as well, but Munich can offer more in that aspect than Leverkusen, look at Luca Toni's girlfriend. There is only one truth on this: Landon Donovan's last chance for a move to Europe is now and he can easily join one of a half dozen clubs in England of Spain but I am not aware of any big European Club interested in him as today, so Bayern seems to be his only realistic shot.

The financial impact as somebody mentioned before will be rewarding, it will skyrocket the BL popularity in the US, even more after we have some of our best players already in the BL.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby bobcostas » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:20 pm

You guys could use an american as your thrid striker if Podloski leaves but MLS is the wrong pace to look.
bobcostas
First post

Postby MrLinky » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 pm

I could find you a youtube video of Ali Karimi , you think to yourself damn this guy is gonna be the next Kaka .
Did those youtube videos help him play well or secure a place in the starting XI during his time in Munchen ?
Last edited by MrLinky on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Next

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion