You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Landon Donovan

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Landon Donovan

Postby BayernRtheBest » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:28 am

As a bayern fan i can say that we definately dont need the services of Donavan, he is an exceptionally good player, but not one which can surmount to the expectations at Bayern. As an American i would like for this deal to happen due to the fact that it would create good relations between the MLS and Bayern. It would be a sensational transer which would install some controversy here which could stir the perception of soccer in the USA.
BayernRtheBest

Postby shwas55 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:23 am

BayernRtheBest wrote:As a bayern fan i can say that we definately dont need the services of Donavan, he is an exceptionally good player, but not one which can surmount to the expectations at Bayern. As an American i would like for this deal to happen due to the fact that it would create good relations between the MLS and Bayern. It would be a sensational transer which would install some controversy here which could stir the perception of soccer in the USA.

Well as i said before he will only be a fourth striker, i just dont see him ahead of Olic, if he wont cost more than 5mil and will accept being a 4th striker then i dont see any harm in having him.
shwas55
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:15 pm

I would be careful with already predicting that Donovan is gonna excel at Bayern.So far he has "only" shown his class against a German 2nd division club and some UAE club I had never heard of before.We have to wait for the first couple of BL games , he will definitely be getting his time (as Poldi will be leaving the club in the summer and wont be playing a significant role anymore) and thats where it really gets serious for him.Personally I hope we're gonna get to see a lot of Donovan goals and can actually go into the new season with 4 good strikers capable of causing problems to any defence in the world.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby reiniksrobis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:00 pm

MrLinky wrote:I hope we're gonna get to see a lot of Donovan goals and can actually go into the new season with 4 good strikers capable of causing problems to any defence in the world.

Yep, agree with that! I did worry in start of season when we had just three strikers! And I prefer 4 strikers as a minimum! And how is Ekici doing in second team? He really excited me on pre-season friendlies. Is there any chance that he could make bench on first team next season?

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Jorge » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:34 pm

We have to be even more careful about labelling the strikers, right now Toni and Klose are 1 and 2, Poldi, Donovan or Olic would be way behind as today; but who knows if that changes in one or two months, needless to say for the next season. Nobody knows what is being plotted behind the scenes, the rumours of Toni going back to Italy are constant. Nobody knows if Olic or Donovan will hit top form and get ahead of Klose or Toni if they all four compete for the starting spots next year.

As for not seeing the need for Donovan at Bayern, remember that Landon is not a striker by trade, he is a Central attacking midfielder or Right winger, moreover it seems that Klinsmann has a different idea:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3715503&categoryId=2731137&n8pe6c=3
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby shwas55 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:55 am

Jorge wrote:
As for not seeing the need for Donovan at Bayern, remember that Landon is not a striker by trade, he is a Central attacking midfielder or Right winger, moreover it seems that Klinsmann has a different idea:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3715503&categoryId=2731137&n8pe6c=3

The only problem with that is we play 4-4-2 with two holding midfielders and i dont see Donavon taking Ze's role (if Ze leaves) and as a right winger we have Schweini and Antiltop so he wont be playing there either.
Unless Klinsi wanna change the 4-4-2, he will be a striker.
Last edited by shwas55 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
shwas55
I post all the time

Postby shwas55 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 am

Jorge wrote:We have to be even more careful about labelling the strikers, right now Toni and Klose are 1 and 2, Poldi, Donovan or Olic would be way behind as today; but who knows if that changes in one or two months, needless to say for the next season. Nobody knows what is being plotted behind the scenes, the rumours of Toni going back to Italy are constant. Nobody knows if Olic or Donovan will hit top form and get ahead of Klose or Toni if they all four compete for the starting spots next year.

Toni and Klose are one of the most Lethal pairing at the moment and only an injury to one of them will break them up (you dont change whats working), i mean even if one of them is out of form the other always stands up we saw that last year when Klose was out form and again this when Toni was out of form.

If Toni goes back to Italy, Gomez will be brought in as an immediate replacement.

I really want Donovan to do well with us cuz i think he has the talent and im sure he will have the desire.
shwas55
I post all the time

Postby hollywoodvillain » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:27 am

5 games 4 goals. Come on. As a Galaxy fan I'm sad to see him go. As a Donovan fan I'm happy for him. Good luck Lando, keep putting all your naysayers in the back of the net.
hollywoodvillain
First post

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby shwas55 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:30 am

hollywoodvillain wrote:5 games 4 goals. Come on. As a Galaxy fan I'm sad to see him go. As a Donovan fan I'm happy for him. Good luck Lando, keep putting all your naysayers in the back of the net.

Against 2nd division teams....... Look we all want him to do good, but lets not put our hopes too high. Plus Bayern wont pay 10 mil for him, no matter how many goals he scores in the two months he is with us.
shwas55
I post all the time

Postby Jorge » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:42 pm

shwas55 wrote:
hollywoodvillain wrote:5 games 4 goals. Come on. As a Galaxy fan I'm sad to see him go. As a Donovan fan I'm happy for him. Good luck Lando, keep putting all your naysayers in the back of the net.

Against 2nd division teams....... Look we all want him to do good, but lets not put our hopes too high. Plus Bayern wont pay 10 mil for him, no matter how many goals he scores in the two months he is with us.

Very true, but can you score against 1st division teams if you have not played them? It's interesting how many on this board were anxious about buying Arshavin for 20M and before Donovan is tested they are writting him off for half of that price tag. What Arshavin has done out of Russia? EURO 2008? Some flashes here and there at UEFA Cup last season (he was not the best player for Zenit, also applying the same standards: this is a 2nd tier competition.

I agree that Landon as today is a 3rd or 4th choice striker, and as midfielder a 70 min. sub for Ze Roberto or Schweini, but I doubt Bayern is paying him 2,000 a week since December to bench him permanently before early March when he is due back to LA if they do not sign him, remember he will be at Bayern basically 4 weeks if they do not make a decision. I am inclined to believe you will see more Donovan on the field than what you are predicting, and if he puts some few on the back of the net he will get signed for 10M if that is what MLS wants for him.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby FCBinNYC » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:19 pm

We'll see what happens, all the games are for real now, and if you look at our schedule Landon will be jumping in the deep end with the time he gets. Stuttgart and Hamburg away, Dortmund, surprise 3rd place Hertha away...these are significant tests. I think he'll still be around for Bremen, too. Personally I think he'll be fine, he's been working really well with OUR team regardless of the opposition. He hasn't looked out of his depth, which is half the battle. As I've said before, I'll take Donovan over Poldi because at least we know we'll get absurd speed and a player that's going to give no less than 100%. Oh and he can shoot and apparently can head the ball too.

Also, as far as value for money: we're talking 10 million US dollars, which is less than 8 million euro. If he can keep up half the strike rate he's shown in these few games so far I'd say that's a bargain. No?
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby shwas55 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 pm

Jorge Im sorry if you misunderstood me, i never said Donovan will be on the bench and wont get any playing time, Im sure he will.

I never watched a MLS match but i have seen him play for the U.S N.T, and he is a great talent he passes well and he can score some very nice goals.
What i meant to say is, he has to prove that he is worth the 10 mil, because no club in the world would pay 10 mil for a third or fourth striker.
If he comes in with great form and start scoring goals and creating goals for others, challenging and pushing our top strikers then we dont have to think twice.
shwas55
I post all the time

Postby Jorge » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:33 pm

shwas55 wrote:Jorge Im sorry if you misunderstood me, i never said Donovan will be on the bench and wont get any playing time, I'm sure he will.

I never watched a MLS match but i have seen him play for the U.S N.T, and he is a great talent he passes well and he can score some very nice goals.
What i meant to say is, he has to prove that he is worth the 10 mil, because no club in the world would pay 10 mil for a third or fourth striker.
If he comes in with great form and start scoring goals and creating goals for others, challenging and pushing our top strikers then we dont have to think twice.

No problem. We all agree on one thing: he will have to prove on the field if he is a signing option or not, if he is Bayern will pay 10M.

Some keep bringing his Leverkusen years as an alarming sign, he never felt confident working for Augenthaler plus at a much younger age was brought in as back up for Robson Ponte who was the team's No.10. Landon has matured a lot since then. He has excellent dribbling skills, good vision for through passes and penetraring runs and a devastating speed, plus decent shooting accuracy, with all this he should do well as a 65+ min sub at Bayern. The question mark comes from the physical aspect: can he shield the ball against 90%+ of BL defenders who are bigger and stronger, can he get out of trouble with quick turns in tight spaces? Then the endurance part if they start him at some games and the mental part.

As a comparison Clint Dempsey seems not to be at Landon's level yet (at least when they play side to side with the USNT, and Dempsey scores very important goals in the EPL against probably better defenders and coming from the midfield, he just bagged two against Chelsea.

You are right most teams will not pay 10M for a 3rd or 4th striker, some do. Just one example: Villareal, a team that should have lower financial resources than Bayern paid exactly that (10 million) for another American: Jozy Altidore, a reserve striker.
Last edited by Jorge on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby fcb 4eva » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:26 pm

I think Landon could be a real asset for Bayern, particularly in europe, im delighted to see him here, hope we can get him longer :D :D :D :D
fcb 4eva
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby likma » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:20 pm

I'm wondering, if he proves to be good for us, and we want him to join once his loan is finished, can we sign him then (sometime in March), or do we have to wait for next transfer period (July)?
likma
Getting the hang of it

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion