You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Landon Donovan

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Landon Donovan

Postby Tomas » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:22 pm

FCBinNYC wrote:Well I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure it's to try to keep in line with other American sports, where we have salary caps, (well maybe not in baseball) and handle team-switching with trading/free agency instead of buying/selling like in Europe. You don't hear about too many inter-MLS deals where cash changes hands, usually it's just trades. But with football being a global game, obviously we need to allow for straight-cash deals somewhere, which is where bids from Europe comes in. When this happens it's important for MLS to get most of the money from the deal to redistribute to the rest of the league in various forms, since it always could use more money. They're also always concerned with keeping a level playing field as much as possible, which this certainly helps. Some people say that this mentality is what's holding MLS back, and they may be right. I can see it's merit, though, since not every team has a multinational sponsor that could pour money into it if they wanted to/could, like my New York Red Bulls.

I thought I heard somewhere that MLS wanted $10 million for Donovan (an MLS record if I'm not mistaken), and Bayern opted for the loan deal first to see if he'd be worth it. I think if he can carry his form from this past season into the Bundesliga, it's a fair valuation. If not, I wonder if Bayern will just cut him loose or if they'll try for a cheaper price if they see potential. He's just got to let his football do the talking.

In my opinion, whats holding MLS back, is the $2.000.000 salary cap, their marketing techniques, some teams playing on American football fields (lines, hash marks, etc) it makes the whole thing look confusing when you have football lines on top of American football lines. I heard the same thing regarding the $10 million and just rolled my eyes. You want $10 million on a player yet you only will pay a player $2 million max. Doesnt sound right. Maybe Im just getting to used to the European prices, which are getting out of hand.
Tomas
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby reiniksrobis » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:20 pm

Just made video about him! Used some other videos :D Enjoy!

:)

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SilentStrike » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:41 pm

nice video.
Aux Champs-Élysées
Aux Champs-Élysées
Au soleil, sous la pluie
À midi ou à minuit
Il y a tout ce que vous voulez
Aux Champs-Élysées
SilentStrike
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Netherlands
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby MrLinky » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Well made reiniksrobis.Hope we get to see some similar scenes of him in a Bayern-jersey too. =D>
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby reiniksrobis » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:35 am

Thank you ;)

reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MUTU » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Great video! thanks :)
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby walter » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Donovan scored again! I know these are just friendlies but still a good sign of potential things to come...
Last edited by walter on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby reiniksrobis » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:17 pm

walter wrote:Donovan scored again! I now these are just friendlies but still a good sign of potential things to come...

Yep. If he would cost us under 10m euros, I think that we SHOULD get him. And DM+RB and our team is done and ready to rock on europe :))

reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Jorge » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:43 am

FCBinNYC wrote:Well I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure it's to try to keep in line with other American sports, where we have salary caps, (well maybe not in baseball) and handle team-switching with trading/free agency instead of buying/selling like in Europe. You don't hear about too many inter-MLS deals where cash changes hands, usually it's just trades. But with football being a global game, obviously we need to allow for straight-cash deals somewhere, which is where bids from Europe comes in. When this happens it's important for MLS to get most of the money from the deal to redistribute to the rest of the league in various forms, since it always could use more money. They're also always concerned with keeping a level playing field as much as possible, which this certainly helps. Some people say that this mentality is what's holding MLS back, and they may be right. I can see it's merit, though, since not every team has a multinational sponsor that could pour money into it if they wanted to/could, like my New York Red Bulls.

I thought I heard somewhere that MLS wanted $10 million for Donovan (an MLS record if I'm not mistaken), and Bayern opted for the loan deal first to see if he'd be worth it. I think if he can carry his form from this past season into the Bundesliga, it's a fair valuation. If not, I wonder if Bayern will just cut him loose or if they'll try for a cheaper price if they see potential. He's just got to let his football do the talking.

The $10M (USD) will not be a MLS record, it will tie Jozy Altidore's $10M USD transfer fee from NY Red Bulls to Villareal. Before that the record was 4M set by Clint Dempsey's transfer to Fulham. As for Landon Donovan and the salary cap, the MLS uncapped two players per team before last season, this allowed the Galaxy to pay Beckham around 5.5M per year (in salary) Donovan is the other Galaxy uncapped player, his salary for 2008 was 900,000.

When Bayern and MLS tried to negotiate a transfer it was set at 10M, when they couldn't agree the loan deal was requested by both Donovan and Klinsmann. If Bayern decides to offer a permanent deal at the end of his loan (March) most likely it will be for the same fee.

When I first heard about all this I thought it was not the right move for Landon, I thought a mid-table team in Spain was ideal for him for a year to then try a bigger club with more pressure and higher expectations, now I am under the impression that he will excel at Bayern. As I said before he is an environment player, I know him since he was 15, and Bayern under Klinsmann seems to be like home for him.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby MUTU » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Jorge wrote:When I first heard about all this I thought it was not the right move for Landon, I thought a mid-table team in Spain was ideal for him for a year to then try a bigger club with more pressure and higher expectations, now I am under the impression that he will excel at Bayern. As I said before he is an environment player, I know him since he was 15, and Bayern under Klinsmann seems to be like home for him.

Let's hope you're right :)
I've had my own doubts to be honest, but they were most prejudices against American players. Let him have the full test, playing in competitive matches, and then we'd be in a better position to evaluate his situation :) If he does become our 3rd striker, 10 million euros is not too much.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBinNYC » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:38 pm

I thought Jozy might have also been 10 mil, for some reason I thought it was less. Anyway, that's definitely not a bad price for a third striker, especially since Koln came through with the cash for Poldi. I didn't see the Kaiserslautern match, but if he keeps scoring we're in business. I wonder if Landon will be included in the CL squad?
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby reiniksrobis » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:10 pm

FCBinNYC wrote:I wonder if Landon will be included in the CL squad?

I don`t think so!

reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FCBinNYC » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:00 pm

Why not? As long as our squad isn't already full, it can't hurt, even if he's only with us for the Lisbon matches. And if they plan on signing him long-term, then he certainly should get a spot. Again, I wouldn't replace anyone at the moment, but if there's an open spot he should be there, if Klinsi keeps using him as much as he has been.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby shwas55 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:44 pm

if galaxy or the mls gonna put 10mil on his head I don't see a deal happening. I know alot of people here are fans of his (including klinsi) but 10mil for a forth striker is just too much, it's just that I don't see him ahead of olic in the big games when we are behind or one of the strikers is out of form or injured. Plus the 10 mil we r getting for poldi should go towards a Dm and Rb.
shwas55
I post all the time

Postby MrLinky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Donovan 3rd striker next season ? ...what about Olic ? If we really get him (something I doubt is gonna happen , if the MLS will be sticking with this 10 million price tag) , he will be striker #4 at the beginning of next season unless one of the other 3 attackers drop into bad form for a while or get injured seriously.
MrLinky
I post all the time

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion