You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Landon Donovan

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Galaxy's Donovan To Join German League On Loan

Postby Miss Dangerous » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Los Angeles Galaxy forward Landon Donovan will join Bayern Munich of the German Bundesliga on loan during the MLS offseason... Football Fever
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Landon Donovan

Postby MrLinky » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:10 pm

Landon scored his first goal for Bayern in today's 3-1 win in a friendly against Al-Wehda. 8)
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Tomas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:43 pm

MrLinky wrote:Landon scored his first goal for Bayern in today's 3-1 win in a friendly against Al-Wehda. 8)

Good for him but Im going to keep my expectations low so I wont be horribly let down IF he doesnt do well against a solid Bundesliga side. :wink:
Tomas
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby walter » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:52 pm

Not sure if anyone has brought this up already, but I wonder if bringing Donovan is also part of a campaign to sell Bayern and Bundesliga in the US. It would be nice to have a few more Bayern fans here in America...
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Tomas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:04 pm

walter wrote:Not sure if anyone has brought this up already, but I wonder if bringing Donovan is also part of a campaign to sell Bayern and Bundesliga in the US. It would be nice to have a few more Bayern fans here in America...

I couldnt agree more with that! How I would like to watch Bundesliga on my flat panel rather than my computer... what a dream!
Tomas
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby reiniksrobis » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:40 pm

Landon is good player. And great sell product. Especially in USA!!

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jorge » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:58 pm

Tomas wrote:
walter wrote:Not sure if anyone has brought this up already, but I wonder if bringing Donovan is also part of a campaign to sell Bayern and Bundesliga in the US. It would be nice to have a few more Bayern fans here in America...

I couldnt agree more with that! How I would like to watch Bundesliga on my flat panel rather than my computer... what a dream!

Why you can not watch Bayern on TV here in the USA? GolTV broadcasts live I would say 90% of Bayern's BL matches and ESPN Deportes most of Bayern's CL Matches.

Of these two channels GolTV is available through most Cable providers, some have it as an Add-On, some bundled up with certain packages, but the best deal is Direct TV; if you subscribe to any of the Spanish Bundles you get not only GolTV and ESPN Deportes but also Fox Sports en Espanol, Fox Soccer Channel (with a Sport Pack subscription) TYC Sports and several more channels where you can have full coverage of not only the BL but also EPL, La Liga, Serie A, etc. If Donovan stays at Bayern I doubt any other channel besides these one will broadcast soccer here.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby Tomas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:55 am

Jorge wrote:
Tomas wrote:

Why you can not watch Bayern on TV here in the USA? GolTV broadcasts live I would say 90% of Bayern's BL matches and ESPN Deportes most of Bayern's CL Matches.

Of these two channels GolTV is available through most Cable providers, some have it as an Add-On, some bundled up with certain packages, but the best deal is Direct TV; if you subscribe to any of the Spanish Bundles you get not only GolTV and ESPN Deportes but also Fox Sports en Espanol, Fox Soccer Channel (with a Sport Pack subscription) TYC Sports and several more channels where you can have full coverage of not only the BL but also EPL, La Liga, Serie A, etc. If Donovan stays at Bayern I doubt any other channel besides these one will broadcast soccer here.

For some reason comcast does not include GolTV in the Washington State area. Direct TV has it in our area but trying to talk the wife into switching is a pain in the a$$. So my world is making breakfast early in the morning and then firing up the laptop with tvuplayer and watching Bundesliga that way. It just seems so primative! I despise ESPN and their announcers during football (soccer) matches because the American announcers know nothing about football and Fox well they dont show Bundesliga at all. So for me its the computer for a while :x
Tomas
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Piazza » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:02 am

Tomas wrote:
For some reason comcast does not include GolTV in the Washington State area. Direct TV has it in our area but trying to talk the wife into switching is a pain in the a$$. So my world is making breakfast early in the morning and then firing up the laptop with tvuplayer and watching Bundesliga that way. It just seems so primative! I despise ESPN and their announcers during football (soccer) matches because the American announcers know nothing about football and Fox well they dont show Bundesliga at all. So for me its the computer for a while :x

The American ones are pretty bad, I'll agree, but I rather do like Derek Rae, and the other foreigners who do the Champions League games. I also doubt one successful American will make cable networks clamor to show more European leagues :cry:. My cable company actually just dropped Fox Soccer Channel, though I suppose we can all still hope.
AND SOLSKJAER HAS WON IT!
Piazza
Hey, I'm new here!

Postby Tomas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:04 pm

Piazza wrote:The American ones are pretty bad, I'll agree, but I rather do like Derek Rae, and the other foreigners who do the Champions League games. I also doubt one successful American will make cable networks clamor to show more European leagues :cry:. My cable company actually just dropped Fox Soccer Channel, though I suppose we can all still hope.

Derek is pretty good but Tommy Smyth... this guy is NOT a good announcer. He goes off on wild tangents and his little sayings like calling the net an "onion bag" drives me insane. I think he must have ADHD or something.
Tomas
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FCBinNYC » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:47 pm

Haha yes Tommy Smyth is...well lets just say I always find myself and others looking around the room with a confused face when he's commentating.

I'm sure there's some sort of marketing motive behind Donovan's signing, but let's be honest, football isn't that popular here in the states. It will help a little, but I don't think people are going to be rushing out to get their Bayern kits with Donovan's name on it. (If he gets a permanent deal I probably will, but that's besides the point.) Most of the fans that are here don't support Bayern anyway, and that's probably not going to change just because of Donovan either. It might get a little more exposure for the Bundesliga here, but as others said GolTV already shows most of Bayern's (and other good teams) matches anyway. In fact, I've heard from a friend that lives in London that between the ESPN channels, Fox Soccer, and GolTV, you are actually able to watch more football from more different leagues for cheaper here than you can over there! So is Donovan going to get us even more than that? Probably not. I think it's more about what they originally said it was about: Donovan's a completely different type of striker/attacker than those we already have, so he'd be good to mix it up every once in a while.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Tomas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:24 pm

FCBinNYC wrote:I'm sure there's some sort of marketing motive behind Donovan's signing, but let's be honest, football isn't that popular here in the states. It will help a little, but I don't think people are going to be rushing out to get their Bayern kits with Donovan's name on it.

Heres how I look at it. I was listening to some of the US football (soccer) coaches including Bruce Arena. They all say almost the same thing. Right now, in the US, there are more kids going out for soccer than any other sport. So its very possible that in another 10 or 20 years football (soccer) will be pretty popular in the US with the young kids playing now will be older fans, the fat rednecks, that think soccer is a pussy sport and American football rules, will be dead and there will be more immigrants coming from football (soccer) countries living here. Im not saying that it will be more popular than baseball or football but it will probably surpass hockey and basketball. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Like I mentioned before, Im not a huge or even small Donovan fan but Im glad he's out there promoting and helping the sport grow in the US by being "out there" playing with some of the worlds finest players! I hope he does well!
Tomas
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby walter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Well I never meant to say that more channels were gonna start broadcasting Bundesliga because of Donovan, but certainly it is gonna spark some interest here in America. He is sort of the current insignia player for the US team, American soccer-kids wanna be Donovan if they had to pick a US national to emulate. If Donovan gets playing time and scores, then I'm sure Sportscenter are gonna start showing that quite a bit. Donovan playing for Bayern, and especially if he does well, will certainly make a few more people have an interest in Bayern, and this will translate into selling more Bayern, whether that is shirts or just improve ratings for Bayern games on GolTV. If I could only afford the cable package that contains GolTV but it is like $80+...
walter
I post all the time

National Flag:
Venezuela
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MrLinky » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:02 am

On another subject:Can one of the FCB fans in America explain to me what the deal with the transfer-system in the MLS is ? Why does the league "own" the players ? ... and does any of you know how much money they would request for Donovan ?
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby FCBinNYC » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:59 pm

Well I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure it's to try to keep in line with other American sports, where we have salary caps, (well maybe not in baseball) and handle team-switching with trading/free agency instead of buying/selling like in Europe. You don't hear about too many inter-MLS deals where cash changes hands, usually it's just trades. But with football being a global game, obviously we need to allow for straight-cash deals somewhere, which is where bids from Europe comes in. When this happens it's important for MLS to get most of the money from the deal to redistribute to the rest of the league in various forms, since it always could use more money. They're also always concerned with keeping a level playing field as much as possible, which this certainly helps. Some people say that this mentality is what's holding MLS back, and they may be right. I can see it's merit, though, since not every team has a multinational sponsor that could pour money into it if they wanted to/could, like my New York Red Bulls.

I thought I heard somewhere that MLS wanted $10 million for Donovan (an MLS record if I'm not mistaken), and Bayern opted for the loan deal first to see if he'd be worth it. I think if he can carry his form from this past season into the Bundesliga, it's a fair valuation. If not, I wonder if Bayern will just cut him loose or if they'll try for a cheaper price if they see potential. He's just got to let his football do the talking.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion