You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Landon Donovan

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Landon Donovan

Postby MrLinky » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:02 pm

Jorge wrote:During the Germany-England game last Wednesday in the GoalTV broadcast for the USA it was disclosed that the MLS set Donovan's transfer fee at $10 Million and Bayern refused.

How would you rate him , would he be worth spending 10 million $ - 8 million euro (?) in ?
I have my doubts to be honest since the whole Leverkusen thing , obviously he's more grown up and more mature now but we all know the what the stereotyped opinion about American footballers all over Europe is.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:45 pm

MLS Denies Donovan Bayern Deal Is Done
Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber stated that any loan arrangement with Bayern Munich for the striker has not even begun to take place. Major League Soccer Commisioner Don Garber has denied that any loan deal had been arranged with Bayern Munich for American soccer star Landon Donovan.

"We haven’t heard anything from Bayern Munich about Landon going on loan to that team," said Garber at a Friday press conference.

The Los Angeles Galaxy forward, who can also play as an attacking or right midfielder, has been on training with the German club for days at the invitation of coach Juegen Klinnsman.

Donovan impressed enough to draw compliments from both Klinnsman and manager Uli Hoeness, who indicated that the American international would be sought for as the team's primary loan deal for the winter window, even to the exclusion of all other options.

Garber did indicate that MLS is not against loaning out any of their players, per se.

"We've had lots of loans," said Garber. "We’re not playing on the international calendar. We have a longer offseason than any other soccer league. When you have a player who is willing to say, 'Let me go play,' I don’t see how we’re not supportive of that."

Another Galaxy player, David Beckham, was cited as an example of a recent successful loan arrangement.

"If David Beckham wants to go play for A.C. Milan and get that experience and come back more fit, it’s not a bad thing for us," Garber stated.

Yet he also insisted that no such deal had been arranged for Donovan.

"Contrary to what you may have read about in the press, Landon Donovan is not on loan to Bayern Munich," Garber said.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jorge » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:43 am

MrLinky wrote:
Jorge wrote:During the Germany-England game last Wednesday in the GoalTV broadcast for the USA it was disclosed that the MLS set Donovan's transfer fee at $10 Million and Bayern refused.

How would you rate him , would he be worth spending 10 million $ - 8 million euro (?) in ?
I have my doubts to be honest since the whole Leverkusen thing , obviously he's more grown up and more mature now but we all know the what the stereotyped opinion about American footballers all over Europe is.

That is hard question. From Klinsmann's interview from the previous link posted here you can figure out that Landon is the type of player that he is looking for, he will not use him as a striker unless there are injury problems, he will use him as an attacker midfielder right through the center, getting the backpasses from the two target strikers and cutting through the back four, Landon is very good at this both with the Galaxy and specially at the USA NT; but I still do not know if he can do it week after week at BL and CL level. It also comes to my mind who is going to the bench so he can play? Out of the back four you need a DM (MVB) and the two strikers (Klose and Toni) so that leaves for 3 more midfielders, Ribery on the left and Schweini on the right, he will be competing for a spot against ZE!

The only thing I can tell form what I have seen Landon seems to fit with Bayern better than Sosa, just throwing that in there.

Here is Landon at his best, two of his goals in the game are the kind of attack Klinsmann talks about coming from the midfield into that space between the opponent's back four and the DM, the third one outpacing the back line in a counter.

Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby add » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:03 pm

You can stop all teh transfer talk guys Uli Hoeness said the the only player in the is year would be donvan. go to goal.com and check it out. no arashvin, tymochuk, no gomez. you get lanycakes. to the guywho said he is an attacking midfielder is wronfg he is a sceondary sriker. you dont score 20 goals as an a mid and watchingmost LA games this year he was defiently a striker. You guys are going to have to get use to landon as it is a done deal. it doesnt matter which american it is you guys would be like oh go d hes an american he cant play, give the guy a chance. steve chererundolo has been one of the most consistent bundelsiga players for the past 6 years for hannover and he alright. and to the guy who says he is an american but doenst like us team because of landon. what a loser who cares if you dont like one player im sure the germans hate players on their team and dont hate the whole team. you need to get punched in the nose. anyway landon is alll your getting this year and while i have my doubts if he will make an mpact at least give the guy a chance. [-X
add
Hey, I'm new here!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby add » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:07 pm

First of all, he played as an out and out striker agisnt ecuador i remember that game and donavnon has no where near the vision to be an attacking midfielder. he will be a striker only. he sucks as a midfielder, he can be it in the mls but and for the u.S against el salvador or panama but not in europe no chance he is a striker only. ill bet you a million dollars. And what the the stereotypes of american players alll over europe? what kind of crap is that? [-X
add
Hey, I'm new here!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:10 pm

add wrote: And what the the stereotypes of american players alll over europe?[-X

That they're crap - for the European standard , to say it with with your "charming" word choice. :wink:
They might be good and entertaining in the MLS but tell me one single American footballer that ever made a real impact in a top successful European club , and I'm not talking about the likes of Hannover that play around in the middle of the table in the BL but never really achieve anything .?
I would be open to a possible loan deal that wont cost us anything besides his salary , in which he can show his qualities , and if he can prove he's a good player why not make the deal permanent , but some scepticism is understandable when it comes to American footballers in Europe.Ultimately its Bayern I care about and if Landon can prove to be a useful option in attack why not sign him , but there's a lot of "if's" in there , he has to first play his football and play it well.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby Jorge » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:15 am

add wrote:First of all, he played as an out and out striker agisnt ecuador i remember that game and donavnon has no where near the vision to be an attacking midfielder. he will be a striker only. he sucks as a midfielder, he can be it in the mls but and for the u.S against el salvador or panama but not in europe no chance he is a striker only. ill bet you a million dollars. And what the the stereotypes of american players alll over europe? what kind of crap is that? [-X

Let me get some facts straightened out for you:

1. I was in Tampa for the game agaisnt Ecuador and Landon was an attacking midfielder. Bob Bradley has never used 3 strikers in his life and Eddie Johnson and Brian Ching started the game, as far as I know neither one of these two can play any position besides striker: This was the lineup:

USA: 1-Tim Howard; 3-Carlos Bocanegra, 6-Steve Cherundolo (4-Jonathan Spector, 80), 12-Jimmy Conrad, 22-Oguchi Onyewu; 2-Clint Dempsey (17-Brian Mullan, 80), 5-Benny Feilhaber, 7-DaMarcus Beasley (21-Justin Mapp, 83), 10-Landon Donovan (capt.) (16-Brian Carroll, 91+); 9-Eddie Johnson (8-Michael Bradley, 46), 11-Brian Ching (20-Taylor Twellman, 73)

2. I am not the one saying that Landon will be used at Bayern as an offensive midfielder, Klinsmann is saying it. Go back and listen to the interview posted here. He clearly said he will use him behind the two world class target strikers that he has Klose and Toni.

3. Landon Donovan does play as a striker sometimes for the Galaxy but he is an offensive midfielder by trade, that is what he plays for the USA NT and that is what he played for Leverkusen and that is what he played since I saw him as a youngster at the AIG Academy in Bradenton, where he developed as a footballer.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby FCBinNYC » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:29 am

I remember John O'Brien coming through for Ajax a few years back before his career got lost to injuries. DaMarcus Beasley is doing well for Rangers too, but when you watch their football it's debatable whether they're actually a top side. We've got a few goalkeepers fighting it out in upper-mid table in the Premier League too, but I don't rate those teams very highly. That's as close as we (USA) get, not much! But I'll raise my beer to Landon changing that for the good of Bayern and US football, if he can get some playing time. Which is questionable, but possible. I'm sayin' I see no reason for anyone here to be wanting him to fail.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBinNYC » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:04 pm

On Bayern's website it says they have him until March 15th. Not too much time to try and impress, but we shall see.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:57 pm

Well thats the period of time in which he has to convince UH and KHR of his qualities , he has to prove he's worthy of playing for Bayern.
One thing I like about him is that he represents a kind of attacker/attacking mid. that we dont have in our squad , so he should get his chance and lets hope he can make the best out of it.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:29 pm

MrLinky wrote:One thing I like about him is that he represents a kind of attacker/attacking mid. that we dont have in our squad

This is how I see Podolski really...
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Tomas » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:36 pm

Well it sounds like Landycakes will be the sole signing of winter break. I hope this works out. ](*,)
Tomas
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MrLinky » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Donovan Burning To Make Bayern Impact

American ace Landon Donovan has spoken at length about his hopes and ambitions at Bayern Munich now that his loan spell has formally begun.

The 26-year-old has officially arrived in Munich on loan from LA Galaxy until March 15, but in a recent interview with FC Bayern's official website he suggested that he is aiming to stay beyond that.

"I'm pleased and very excited to be here," Donovan enthused. "My goal is to become part of the team as quickly as possible. I'm confident it'll work out. It was made very easy for me here at Bayern back in November. I was welcomed with open arms.“

When asked whether he'd like to stay beyond the terms of his original loan spell, he said: "Yes, I'd definitely like to stay for longer.“

Donovan, who was once on the books at Bayer Leverkusen in his youth, also commented on what he perceives to be the differences between the Bundesliga and Major League Soccer.

"The people in Germany have much greater passion for football. Football's in their blood, as it has such a long history in Germany, but we've only had the MLS for 13 years.

"Bundesliga matches are obviously very high quality, every player at a club like Bayern has class, which is different to America. The playing styles are different too. You get more one-on-one situations in the Bundesliga, the players are technically strong and good on the ball - the MLS is faster and more physical."

Fcbayern.de also pressed Donovan on how he feels about competing with Luca Toni, Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski for a place in the team and how he rates his chances.

"Training with them back in November was a dream come true. Training with such classy players makes you a better player yourself. I can learn lots from them. At the same time, I do believe I can bring qualities of my own to the team. I'm a different type of player compared to Luca, Miro and Lukas. I do a lot of work off the ball and at a high pace.“

Finally, Donovan was keen to stress that he has matured as a player since his first stint in Germany between 2001 and 2005.

"I've grown up, especially mentally. I'm more experienced and mentally stronger, and I know what to expect here. Back then in Leverkusen, I wasn't ready for Germany and the Bundesliga. I thought for many months about the decision to come back, and spoke to lots of people. I know I'm ready for it now."
MrLinky
I post all the time

Donovan's loan to Bayern Munich finally official

Postby Miss Dangerous » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy and German Bundesliga club Bayern Munich officially announced the loan of Galaxy forward Landon Donovan to the European power, a move that has been in the works for months.

Donovan had a 10-day training stint in November with Bayern and just rejoined the club on Friday. His loan will commence immediately.

"He will get playing time in the friendlies, in the DFB Cup, and in the Bundesliga," Bayern Munich coach Jurgen Klinsmann told the club's official website. "He has unbelievable pace and dribbling skill, he looks for one-on-one situations and he scores goals."

Donovan's loan is scheduled to end on March 8, when he will rejoin the Galaxy for the 2009 MLS season which starts on March 22.

"I can play football. I know what has to be done out on the pitch. I'm ready for the challenge and when my chance comes I'll take it," Donovan told Bayern's website.

Bayern Munich is currently tied for first with TSG Hoffenheim at the halfway point of the Bundesliga season. The club is currently training during their annual winter break before returning to action on Jan. 30 against Hamburg.
Sports Network
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

KLINSMANN EXCITED BY DONOVAN POTENTIAL

Postby Miss Dangerous » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Bayern Munich coach Jurgen Klinsmann insists that USA international Landon Donovan has not joined the Bundesliga club simply to make up the numbers.

Donovan has signed for Bayern on loan from the Los Angeles Galaxy until mid-March, and Klinsmann is convinced he will have a big part to play in his side's assault on three trophies this season.

The German champions are currently joint top of the Bundesliga, in the last 16 of the DFB-Pokal and at the same stage of the Champions League.

"We are all excited about him," Klinsmann said of Donovan on the club's website.

"He will make appearances in friendly matches, the DFB-Pokal and in the Bundesliga.

"He wants to show everybody responsible here, including me, that he is a player for FC Bayern.

He has what it takes to make it."

The 26-year-old is no stranger to the Bundesliga, having played seven matches for Bayer Leverkusen in between loan spells back to Major League Soccer at the start of his career, but now he wants to leave his mark after failing to make the breakthrough the first time around.

"It will be hard because (Miroslav) Klose and (Luca) Toni are in good form," he admitted.

"My job will be to make things hard for the coach.

FC Bayern is a huge opportunity for me."

Donovan, who has 105 caps for his country, spent 10 days on trial with Bayern in December, but has begun working in earnest since Sunday, when the team arrived for a mid-season training camp in Dubai.

He could make his debut on Saturday in a friendly match against Al Jazeera in Abu Dhabi.
Football365
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion